PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

July 2014 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi all,

I would like to have another go with the challenge!

I would like to try £300 for July (25th June - 24th July) for me, DS and 2 old lady cats. I know its high compared to some but if I start slow I might get there :T

Spends so far include...............

Morri$ons - £20.77
    Te$co - £75.97
    Icel@nd - £23.50
    S@insbobs - £42.99

I so need your help with menu planning. I try to start but just get bogged down and give up!

I try to plan for everything, b'fast, lunch, dinner, drinks and snacks!

How do you all menu plan? Please help :D

Ok, off to update my signature :eek: can't believe how much I've already spent, I guess thats the beauty of writing it all down, it does make you focus!

Have a lovely day, very rainey here!

Pix
    xx

This is a link to the complete menu planning index, loads of good advice andf info, hope it helps.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=346932
    Slimming World at target
  • Solstice_3
    Solstice_3 Posts: 444 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all I'm starting July as of tomorrow, I have 10 days to go until payday (last one of maternity leave I think) so the first 10 days of July are going to be tight!
    Stay at home Mum to DS Oct 2011 and DD Dec 2013
    Grocery Challenge

April 298.08/300.00 NSD 14 May £213.56/£300 NSD 4
  • Smudges
    Smudges Posts: 155 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone.

I would love to join in this supportive thread if I may? After DH has had some unexpected medical costs we need to cut back as much as possible so we can get a car. (No public transport here :()

Could you please put me down for R2500, which is about 140 pounds for the 2 of us this month.

Thanks!
  • Mamma85
    Mamma85 Posts: 73 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,
    Can you please put me down for a budget of £110
    This includes,food, cleaning and toiletries.
    This is for me, DD1, DD2, and OH for 3 weekends. The girls are school dinners most of the week (already paid for) so it's mainly tea to cook rather than a full dinner. It's going to be tight and it's a 5 week month!
    :eek:
    GC Jan -£100/£83.70
    Debts - as of Jan 2015
    Overdraft £1000/
    Tax Credits £1100/
  • 5298a1sn
    5298a1sn Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 29 June 2014 at 4:27PM
    Options
    Hi i'm new to this this thread and i would like to join the July challenge, my new month will start now, We usually spend around £250 a week on food, fuel, baby items, takeaways but after a very busy month in June with a holiday, car m.o.t and tax the overdraft has well and truly been hammered, we don't normally use overdraft but sometimes use credit card for utilty bills and luxuries but not for the food etc.
    There is me, my fiance and our 2 children a 3 year old and 1 year old and we also have another baby on the way, so we want to get overdraft (£1000) paid off asap along with credit card (£1000 off the balance). I also follow slimming world so i'm looking out for any cheap meal ideas that are aslo good for the children

Our budget for July is £400 for groceries and baby essentials, which is a massive cut for us and will pay off a big chunk of our draft :) xx
  • Jacksmummy
    Jacksmummy Posts: 226 Forumite
    Options
    We are going to be on a very tight month in July so could you please put me down for £100 for groceries, toiletries and cleaning bits.
    G.C July £21.09/£100

• FoxFace
    FoxFace Posts: 362 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker Photogenic
    edited 29 June 2014 at 5:36PM
    Options
    Well, it has been many many months (possibly years) since I posted on this board... but I am back! We are soon to be a one income family, so need to cut back more than ever!

I am generally not too bad at being frugal with food, I always try to buy reduced and stockpile when I can; but I really need to make a conscious effort to track what I spend.
    My budget for this month is £200. I look forward to getting to know you all again :)

Edit: Just checked my thread subscriptions and the last GC thread I subscribed to was October 2011... woah!!!
    Debt Free Journey started 21.05.2017
  • physicsgirl
    physicsgirl Posts: 126 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for your kind words, it's really appreciated (so much so that it nearly had me in tears...)

Spent £14.44 in Ald! and then will do another shop on Thursday for a couple of bits I don't need until then. Meal plan looks like this:

Sunday - leek, mushroom and brie pasta bake

Monday - brie and bacon risotto

Tuesday - out for meal with a friend

Wednesday - spag bol (mince, peas, mushrooms, red peppers, grated carrot)

Thursday - cauliflower and broccoli cheese with roasted potatoes

Friday - lasagne with garlic bread (using white sauce LO from cauli cheese and ragu LO from spag bol so should be an easy meal)

Saturday - chicken kiev with roasted veg and wedges

Sunday - 4 cheese pasta
    November GC: £50.55/£130. October GC: £72.60/£150
    September GC: £131.27/£170. July GC: £62.48/£80. May GC: £135.00/£150
    April GC: £201.91/£140. March GC: £194.98/£200. January GC: £111.41/£200.
    December GC: £67.45/£80. Nov GC: £159.32/£220. October GC: £208.07/£250.
  • nannygladys
    nannygladys Posts: 3,111 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hello everyone

My budget goes from Friday to Friday and will be £60 for the four weeks or £15 a week please should manage it as I still have lots in my cupboards and freezer so really only need to buy fresh fruit, veggies, milk and yogurt.

Nannyg
    2024 is going to be a positive year for me, and it's starting now!! 
    Buys: All budgeted and paid by cash!
    Jan - fridge/freezer
              Hoover
    Feb - milk frother, curtain pole x2, roller blind - bathroom, toilet seat, bath sink taps, kitchen sink waste unit and an extra double electric socket.
    March - raised bed for garden, bathroom cabinet, roller blind - kitchen
    April - nothing
    May - nothing as yet 
  • Mozzakate
    Mozzakate Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    Evening all, I hope everyone has had a good weekend. I had another no spend day today, I could get used to not spending money! I did make a small spend on Saturday though in A$da of £6.03, needed some yeast and bread flour and some other 'bits'. Hoping for a few more NSD's this week as I'm determined not to go over my £100 budget, despite it being a 5 week month :eek:

Kate x
    As of 5/4/16 :
    *Grocery Challenge 31st March - 27th April £53.36 NSD's 6/28 *RAGI2016: #34 £43.64/500
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport