PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

How do you cope when you can't move?

Options

Comments

• going_nowhere_fast
    Options
    Its good to know I'm not alone. It sometimes feels like friends and family have homes in better areas and never experience problems with neighbours or noise nuisance etc etc
  • Blackpool_Saver
    Blackpool_Saver Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    Options
    Its good to know I'm not alone. It sometimes feels like friends and family have homes in better areas and never experience problems with neighbours or noise nuisance etc etc

Trust me you are not alone. My circumstances changed drastically over the last year or so and now I am living in a situation I never envisaged. Children round here have no concept of boundaries either, the things they do astound me.
    Blackpool_Saver is female, and does not live in Blackpool

• going_nowhere_fast
    Options
    Trust me you are not alone. My circumstances changed drastically over the last year or so and now I am living in a situation I never envisaged. Children round here have no concept of boundaries either, the things they do astound me.

Sounds similar to me. I was living in a very nice house in a very nice area and lots of savings. Then I had a child, was walked out on. Moved to an area I could afford to buy a house in. House is tiny, area is not nice, and I have no money. Joined MSE to try and keep my chin up because it feels like there is no light at the end of the tunnel sometimes. I hope you manage to move on to somewhere nicer too.
  • Blackpool_Saver
    Blackpool_Saver Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds similar to me. I was living in a very nice house in a very nice area and lots of savings. Then I had a child, was walked out on. Moved to an area I could afford to buy a house in. House is tiny, area is not nice, and I have no money. Joined MSE to try and keep my chin up because it feels like there is no light at the end of the tunnel sometimes. I hope you manage to move on to somewhere nicer too.

Yes, this is temporary ;-)
    Blackpool_Saver is female, and does not live in Blackpool

• going_nowhere_fast
    Options
    yes, this is temporary ;-)

you lucky thing!!!!!!!!
  • freeman3030
    freeman3030 Posts: 209 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I didn't want to read and run, haven't read all of the responses but would like to share my view. I once lived with my partner in his mum's house as she'd moved abroad. Like you're dealing with, loud, inconsiderate neighbours. Throughout out 6 month stay there were 3 nights where there was arguing outside the front between 2 families at around 1 am. No one seemed to work and it's definitely depressing to live with. The worst thing you can do is argue with them, not that you sound the confrontational type anyway. Sometimes I just used to take myself off tool the seafront rain or shine and just take in the peace. You have to do it to keep sane. Have you thought about renting your property out and living with family while you clear your debt? I find it all too easy to 'treat myself' to a take away or something new at dunelm mill but instead of spending the money, pop what you would have spent in one of those jars that you have to smash to open. As much of a shame as it is to smash them, the do save you from robbing from them! Good luck and try and not let it get you down, people move... you're just unlucky with your current neighbours.
  • kitty_kins
    kitty_kins Posts: 120 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Firstly, I must ask - are your neighbours the owners of the house, or do they rent? If they rent, if you can find out the Landlord's details you can complain about the tenants. My partner's parents did this and the tenants got evicted (they had also trashed the house!)

Secondly, if you are stuck in the house, do everything you can to make it a home. For example, try replacing your windows with double or even triple glazing to keep some of the noise out. Consider saving up to invest in some soundproofing materials for your walls. Even if you could only do this in one room, it could become your little escape from life.

I know this might sound a little daft, but I think if you are going to be stuck, you need to make the most of it. Plus, doing things to your home and giving yourself a project always makes you feel a bit better in yourself; more purposeful if you will :)
  • aileth
    aileth Posts: 2,822 Forumite
    Options
    I know there's a lot of negativity about being an owner-occupier surrounded by rental, but we had bigger issues with the owner-occupied house next door than the nearby rentals. I'd say 80% are rentals in the area.

When we first complained about the house next door, their response was basically 'we own the house so we can do whatever we want.' Thankfully they moved out of their own accord, but I can imagine it's 10 times the nightmare getting them dealt with rather than going to the council about a council tenant or the landlord.

In fact, I don't even know what the Council would do in such a situation, if you had an owner-occupier hell-bent on having loud music 24/7. I know they can confiscate equipment, but all they can really do is keep attempting to do that or throw noise abatement orders out, isn't it? They can't evict them.
  • going_nowhere_fast
    Options
    I didn't want to read and run, haven't read all of the responses but would like to share my view. I once lived with my partner in his mum's house as she'd moved abroad. Like you're dealing with, loud, inconsiderate neighbours. Throughout out 6 month stay there were 3 nights where there was arguing outside the front between 2 families at around 1 am. No one seemed to work and it's definitely depressing to live with. The worst thing you can do is argue with them, not that you sound the confrontational type anyway. Sometimes I just used to take myself off tool the seafront rain or shine and just take in the peace. You have to do it to keep sane. Have you thought about renting your property out and living with family while you clear your debt? I find it all too easy to 'treat myself' to a take away or something new at dunelm mill but instead of spending the money, pop what you would have spent in one of those jars that you have to smash to open. As much of a shame as it is to smash them, the do save you from robbing from them! Good luck and try and not let it get you down, people move... you're just unlucky with your current neighbours.

Hi

I have no family i could move in with so stuck here for the foreseable future. This site is great for keeping me uplifted. I try to get out and about a lot but it does defeat the point of trying to save money. I have come conclusion that sadly terraced housing is the biggest problem as they are starting to be mostly rented. I have nothing against renters by the way - i know some are lovely, its just some arent and they seem to end up in the cheapest form of housing more often than not.
  • going_nowhere_fast
    Options
    aileth wrote: »
    I know there's a lot of negativity about being an owner-occupier surrounded by rental, but we had bigger issues with the owner-occupied house next door than the nearby rentals. I'd say 80% are rentals in the area.

When we first complained about the house next door, their response was basically 'we own the house so we can do whatever we want.' Thankfully they moved out of their own accord, but I can imagine it's 10 times the nightmare getting them dealt with rather than going to the council about a council tenant or the landlord.

In fact, I don't even know what the Council would do in such a situation, if you had an owner-occupier hell-bent on having loud music 24/7. I know they can confiscate equipment, but all they can really do is keep attempting to do that or throw noise abatement orders out, isn't it? They can't evict them.

Thats an interesting point and one i cant answer. I presume the council could take them to court if they failed to adhere to any warnings. From my experience council dont really want to know - here the noise team work 9-5 monday to friday. They also like to say have you read the booklet about taking court action yourself. Yes but its YOUR job to deal with noise nuisance (she says shaking her head).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport