We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

WARNING - Avoid Shell

Options

Comments

• Emz11
    Emz11 Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    SimonSays wrote: »
    Tesco must be breaking the law. and every other fueling station. They don't have the plastic or metal plates. Just stickers.

sticker is a type of plastic. :exclamati
  • starrystarry
    starrystarry Posts: 2,481 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Emz11 wrote: »
    i will ask my friend again if it was the trading standards act he meant. he owns a very well known company. he told me that you must make available the means of payment at the purchasing point, on either a plastic or metal plate in one of only a few legal fonts. a printed piece of a4 is not enough, it has nothing to do with the size. this is displayed in all respectable shops.

the fact is the shell staff were still rude and could not see common sense. they should have shut the petrol station if they were unable to accept payments.

Oh give over will you! What the hell does a bloke who runs a conservatory company know about laws affecting retailers? What do you hope to achieve by banging on about this?

I think you'll find it was you that was rude and displayed no common sense. Just admit (to yourself) you were wrong and move on. We all get things wrong sometimes, there's no shame in that.
  • Emz11
    Emz11 Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    Oh give over will you! What the hell does a bloke who runs a conservatory company know about laws affecting retailers? What do you hope to achieve by banging on about this?

I think you'll find it was you that was rude and displayed no common sense. Just admit (to yourself) you were wrong and move on. We all get things wrong sometimes, there's no shame in that.

what does it have to do with you? do you work at shell?

and owning a conservatory company means he knows laws effecting retailers as he owns his own retail shops.
  • starrystarry
    starrystarry Posts: 2,481 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    what does it have to do with you? do you work at shell?

and owning a conservatory company means he knows laws effecting retailers as he owns his own retail shops.

:rotfl:

The old fail-safe!! I should have known it wouldn't be long before someone was accused of working for Shell.

With all due respect, your friend doesn't know his ar*e from his elbow. If you must insist on pursuing this, get some proper advice from someone who knows what they're talking about.
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    The thread that keeps on giving - brilliant!
  • SimonSays
    SimonSays Posts: 716 Forumite
    Options
    sticker is a type of plastic. :exclamati

What if its a paper sticker?
  • Spank
    Spank Posts: 1,751 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    6 pages with over 100 replies & not one person has agreed with you, why do you keep insisting your right?

If you insist on carrying on please get you friend to post a pic of his official "card machine not working" sign, because I've never seen one before
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    SimonSays wrote: »
    What if its a paper sticker?

Paper stickers have a special exemption under the Trading Standards (Paper Stickers) Act 1987 ;)
  • gardner1
    gardner1 Posts: 3,154 Forumite
    Options
    emz11 wrote: »
    i am disgusted by the treatment me and my mother received at a shell petrol station today and i will now be boycotting them and told them i would be posting on this forum and i suggest you do the same.

My mum filled up her car at a shell petrol station and then we both went inside to pay for the petrol. When inside we told them the pump number and tried to pay using a debit card. The cashier said "sorry we are not able to take credit card payments at the moment because the systems are broken". I explained we were using a debit card not a credit card but he got huffy and said they werent able to take any card at all and that there were notices on all the pumps. I told him there were not notices on the pumps so went out to check we hadn't missed something.

All that was on the pump was a printed sheet of a4 paper saying "sorry, cash payments only" hardly enough of a warning that they dont take cards. Also how does a big company like shell simply not be able to take cards, makes no sense! I teld him the sign was not adequate and that they should be warning people before they fill up but he tried to argue saying there was a sign up again. He told us we could use the cash machine on the forecort to withdraw cash and pay that way so we did in the end but were not happy.

I will be boycotting there petrol stations from now on and so will my 62 year old mother. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

!!!!!! get a life you moaning s0d
  • laineybird2000
    laineybird2000 Posts: 170 Forumite
    edited 22 April 2014 at 8:53PM
    Options
    This thread, brought to you by the writers of such great threads as the subway thread, and what was the other one that ran and ran, can't remember what it was but it too amused the hell out of me.

It could have been about a woman who's daughter possibly could have, but never actually slipped on a hotel bathroom floor and she wanted compensation?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure