We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

WARNING - Avoid Shell

Options
i am disgusted by the treatment me and my mother received at a shell petrol station today and i will now be boycotting them and told them i would be posting on this forum and i suggest you do the same.

my mum filled up her car at a shell petrol station and then we both went inside to pay for the petrol. when inside we told them the pump number and tried to pay using a debit card. the cashier said "sorry we are not able to take credit card payments at the moment because the systems are broken". i explained we were using a DEBIT card not a credit card but he got huffy and said they werent able to take any card at all and that there were notices on all the pumps. i told him there were not notices on the pumps so went out to check we hadn't missed something.

all that was on the pump was a printed sheet of a4 paper saying "sorry, cash payments only" hardly enough of a warning that they dont take cards. also how does a big company like shell simply not be able to take cards, makes no sense! i teld him the sign was not adequate and that they should be warning people before they fill up but he tried to argue saying there was a sign up again. he told us we could use the cash machine on the forecort to withdraw cash and pay that way so we did in the end but were not happy.

i will be boycotting there petrol stations from now on and so will my 62 year old mother. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Comments

• rustyboy21
    rustyboy21 Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    Options
    I would take it that a piece of paper the size of an A4 sheet, stating ''CASH ONLY'' would suffice to the average person.

Don't see what the fuss is all about, if something was broken,either close or keep open with advance warning of what is up. This, they have done.
  • Johnnytwostep
    Options
    So you are boycotting shell because
    you didn't read a sign,
    cashier gave you an alternative way to pay given you were paying with a debit card anyway and obviously had cash available in account.

I am sure shell shareholders are quaking in their Gucci's.
  • Markb06
    Markb06 Posts: 387 Forumite
    Options
    This has to be a wind up or posted by the stupidest person ever.
  • MothballsWallet
    MothballsWallet Posts: 15,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    There's a small independent restaurant in Coventry that's had a sign in its window saying "Sorry our card machine is out of order" for over a year now.

It does make you wonder if their card machine is broken, why not get it fixed or replaced? Or do they want to switch to cash payments only? In which case, why not just say so?
  • Mapleleaf
    Mapleleaf Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Didn't read sign posted;

Can't equate cash only = no cards;

Doesn't know that credit and debit card transactions get processed over the same system;

Blames everone but themself for the failure.

Conclusion = Zero Sympathy
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You should have left your name and address and offered to pay when the machines are working again.
  • Big_Tree
    Big_Tree Posts: 241 Forumite
    Options
    I spend about £150 a month on petrol and because of this thread I will only buy my petrol from Shell from now on. on top of that I think I will switch to the more expensive V-Power option.

By starting this thread you have actually made Shell more money.......
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Abbafan1972
    Abbafan1972 Posts: 6,979 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There are quite often ATM's at petrol stations. Couldn't you have got the money out and paid by cash?

A printed sheet saying "sorry, cash payments only" is sufficient enough for the average person.

Surely you would have noticed this before you began filling up and you could have gone somewhere else?

Epic fail.......;)
    Striving to clear the mortgage before it finishes in Dec 2028 - amount currently owed - £40,750.02
  • RosiPossum
    RosiPossum Posts: 519 Forumite
    Options
    I could see the complaint if people filled up then the first sign was in the shop, but it was on the pump!! Must be a wind up thread...certainly nothing in there to warrant a boycott :)
  • 4743hudsonj
    4743hudsonj Posts: 3,298 Forumite
    Options
    People sign up to forums for this? :think:
    Back by no demand whatsoever.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts