WARNING - Avoid Shell

Options

Comments

• bazzyb
    bazzyb Posts: 1,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Emz11 wrote: »
    the fact is the shell staff were still rude and could not see common sense.

It is you that has no common sense. You saw a sign on the pump saying that you were not able to pay by card, chose to ignore it and filled up anyway!

if they are unable to accept credit or debit cards they should clearly state this at all pay points in addition to a large display at the entrance.

Why do you keep banging on about the pay points? The pay points inside the kiosk are only visible after somebody has filled up with fuel - what good would that be? And if you ignore a big sign on the pump, what use would another big sign at the entrance be?
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,618 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    there is another petrol station down the road they could have used but it is known for given cheaper rates for "locals" so often other customers arent welcome.

i do think the shell garage should close if they cannoy accept cards as the majority of people use cards to pay. if they are unable to accept credit or debit cards they should clearly state this at all pay points in addition to a large display at the entrance.

when purchasing petrol i usually use cash - are you saying that i should not be allowed to purchase a tank of petrol with my cash from shell just because you could not pay by card!! also that i should take my trade to another petrol station and hand over my hard earned cash to a company where i am not going to be welcome and discriminated against for not living in the area!!
    as you know the local area and the buisness practices of the petrol station, why did you not go there for special rates - or have you already boycotted them for running out of mars bars (or been banned following your behaviour following 'mars bar gate').
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • Dizzy_Ditzy
    Dizzy_Ditzy Posts: 17,462 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    She probably thought the signs were meant for everyone else but her

Special people have special rulez dontcha know :rotfl:
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Health & Beauty, Greenfingered Moneysaving and How Much Have You Saved boards. If you need any help on these boards, please do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert
  • pelirocco
    pelirocco Posts: 8,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We take card payments by phone , where should I display my 'legal font ' sticker
    Vuja De - the feeling you'll be here later
  • Faith177
    Faith177 Posts: 2,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Wow just wow

Seriously OP just give it up already you are looking like a fool now.

There is no such law or act your friend either doesn't know his bum from his elbow or is so sick of your tale of woe and wrong doing that he just trying to provide himself some cheap form of entertainment to make it all the more bearable

You admitted you choose to ignore the sign that's your problem. The attendant might have had been a bit blunt I don't know but if he had been dealing with plebs like you all day I wouldn't blame him

If this is the only worry you have in life you need a reality check and need to leave this be

P.S I do not, never have and never will work for Shell or any subsidery company or companies despite what your tin hat wearing brain tells you
    First Date 08/11/2008, Moved In Together 01/06/2009, Engaged 01/01/10, Wedding Day 27/04/2013, Baby Moshie due 29/06/2019 :T
  • Money-Saving-King
    Money-Saving-King Posts: 2,044 Forumite
    edited 22 April 2014 at 10:27PM
    Options
    i will ask my friend again if it was the trading standards act he meant. he owns a very well known company. he told me that you must make available the means of payment at the purchasing point, on either a plastic or metal plate in one of only a few legal fonts. a printed piece of a4 is not enough, it has nothing to do with the size. this is displayed in all respectable shops.

He is WRONG. Get him to specify the exact part of whichever act he claims it is from, otherwise we'll have to take it that he doesn't know and therefore his law doesn't exist!
    the fact is the shell staff were still rude and could not see common sense. they should have shut the petrol station if they were unable to accept payments.

Telling someone it's cash only is not being rude. Seriously you don't underatsnd the difference between being rude and not liking what you hear. Just because you don't like what you hear DOES NOT mean it's rude.

Also it does not need to be shut if it's cash only. Many people carry cash and cash points will be very near. Common sense should tell you that you don't need to close because you can only take cash!
  • Money-Saving-King
    Options
    if they are unable to accept credit or debit cards they should clearly state this at all pay points in addition to a large display at the entrance.

You can't pay for petrol unless you've actually used the pump! You admitted you saw the sign. Are you seriously telling me you need TWO signs until you actually understand something?

Where does this start and end then? Do we need two signs for everything everywhere because one sign isn't enough for some people!

Can you not see how ridiculous this is when you come back here each time saying you really think this is needed? It is NOT needed at all. There's one thing we need to get clear here, people don't and shouldn't need two signs for everything. The people that do need to admit to themselves they are the ones who got it wrong and stop trying to blame others.

You/Your mother are wrong here, you need to take some responsibility, admit you are the one in the wrong and stop this ridiculous stance that you think it's Shell's fault. The responses you've got on here clearly tell you this. You are completely on your own with your point of view therefore it should be obvious to you by now that you are in the wrong.
  • rustyboy21
    rustyboy21 Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    Options
    Care in the community really needs a rethink.

And this person legally drives a car! lol. ( be careful what you say, she might send her Mother around !)
  • MamaMoo_2
    MamaMoo_2 Posts: 2,644 Forumite
    edited 23 April 2014 at 2:27AM
    Options
    Must remember to tell the multitude of retailers, market traders, indie shops, door-to-door salesmen etc that they must all close down as they don't accept cards.

I mean really, what do you expect a company to do if their card machine goes down? Close altogether and therefore make a loss, or stay open and accept whatever other forms of payment they can?
    Card machines are not infallible, far from it. They stop working if the phone lines are down, in a power outage, of there is no broadband connection, or if the handset is faulty. A small fault with a phone line once took out every card reader at the motorway service station I worked at.
    Alas, we didn't have time to ring the signmakers and ask them to print up some special, legal-font plastic signs to warn people, so I printed off signs using the computer, and sellotaped them to all of the pumps right next to the display. Not one person had an issue with it.
    There were a few people who had filled up in the time between the lines going down and us realising and getting the signs out. All but three of these people either had or could withdraw the cash, and out of the three who couldn't pay cash, two signed forms and left their details to pay at a later point (something only agreed due to them being unaware of the card machine failure) and one payment was processed using an old manual card imprinter (again, only arranged due to them being unaware).
    Once the signs were up, people either drove off, withdrew cash from an ATM or paid cash they already had.
    No-one questioned the validity of the sign.
    No one put up a fight, or argued the toss.
    Oh, and we didn't all get arrested for contravening the trading standards act ;)

As an aside, before the accusations occur, no it wasn't Shell I worked for

I bet you're one of those people who think that the "pump out of order" covers are just a lie and that if you pull it off and pick up the pump, it'll magically stop working.
    Or one of those people who, during the tanker drivers' strike, thought that the £20 max fill limit was a trick and that if you kept replacing and picking up the pump again we'd magically let you have more than your quota...
  • Money-Saving-King
    Options
    rustyboy21 wrote: »
    ( be careful what you say, she might send her Mother around !)

Even if I gave my full address with pictures of where I live and all the places on the way I've got a funny feeling her mother still wouldn't manage to find me!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure