Tales from the city

Options

Comments

• ani*fan
    ani*fan Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    hahah! If I could indeed time travel, I would probably go back to 1983 when I got a hamster and Sindy doll house for christmas, it was just perfect. :D

It's a bit tight this month but as long as there are no disasters we'll be fine until pay day. The budget is sorted for the next month, I did most of my christmas shopping online yesterday and it's all looking good. I'm looking forward to it all now. :)

Kahra, you're so right, it's about a lot more than the money, I still can't believe they have been so generous. Feeling very fortunate.

Igamogam, you lucky thing finishing up on the 16th, schools are going until the 22nd up here. Bleh.

4 weeks to go. :xmastree:
    If you know you have enough, you're rich. ;)
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ani*fan wrote: »
    Igamogam, you lucky thing finishing up on the 16th, schools are going until the 22nd up here. Bleh.

4 weeks to go. :xmastree:

Yeah but you probably start back later in 2017.........swings and roundabouts!
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have just been reading a post on here aboout food banks and what to give vegan food bank users to eat. Some posters are suggesting that if you need to use a food bank then you should leave all your values at the door and eat whatever is given. Other posters say you 'should' be cooking from scratch if you need to use a food bank. No convenience foods for you, even if you have limited cooking facilities, mental health problems, whatever. The judgement flying around is unbelievable. I'm having a difficult time believing in the goodness of people this morning. :( What's wrong with us all? Is it really so hard to think yourself into the shoes of someone in serious need of help? It could happen to any one of us. They didn't have benefit sanctions during my 3 month stint of claiming in my early 20s. It must be terrifying. :(

And breathe...

Nothing much to report on the debt front. Payday has been and all the cash has been shuffled around and bills are being paid. I have almost completed my christmas shopping and I'm off to visit an old friend tonight. I'm looking forward to it very much.

Happy debt busting day everyone. :)
  • hiddenshadow
    Options
    There is a prevailing attitude quite often that the "deserving" poor are living in Dickensian-style poverty. Anything above that (smartphone, dietary preferences - heaven forbid junk food, lifestyle choices like kids/pets) makes you evil/selfish/whatever.

I hope you have a nice time with your friend. :) Jealous on the completed xmas shopping!
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Food banks and benefit sanctions: ok so I am fortunate that like yourself I spent a few weeks claiming benefits whilst looking for work after leaving university.........This was in the 1980's and it was a whole different ball game then. I have been in full employment since barring 12 months taken out for post grad study. Yes I know I am fortunate........now going through a massive reorganisation and re structure where I work so who knows what the future might bring.........

However I see a side to all this in my daily work that makes the Daily Wail headlines and I can understand why. On Friday I waved one of my charges off wishing a lovely holiday in Florida. .....This is a family who are claimants and have been food bank users, have all the latest technology and TV subscriptions and frequently say they cannot pay the £2 a week we ask for their child to have fruit,toast,yogurt everyday,because their benefits have been sanctioned........ how are they going to Florida? Black economy? Illegal dealing?Its not by saving or charitable donation that is for certain.....so I totally get it why people become judgemental. I also believe that these situations are few and far between but it's what gets put out there.
    Now,as an epilogue. I donate every week to the 2 baskets that are at the main entrance to the large supermarket I reluctantly frequent.......one week it's local food bank the next week it's local animal shelter /RSPCA. This week is was the animals turn. There was a food bank volunteer standing between the two and as I dropped my tin of cat food in she sneered and said 'people are starving you know' so I explained my alternate week arrangement to which the response was a her telling me my values were skewed and I should be "ashamed". I will no longer be donating to the Food bank. I am happy to be labelled judgemental.
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Maybe a complaint is needed to either the supermarket or the charity.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st 8lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 42.4% through my pb challenge.
  • crazy_cat_lady
    Options
    Not the type of person that I would want representing my charity for sure...
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Wow Igamogam, that's really dreadful. I think I'd be complaining to the food bank charity if I was spoken to like that. It doesn't help anything, does it?

Another £25 paid off the debt in a cc minimum payment so I've updated my signature.

Onwards. :)
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've not much to report on the debt front. I'm waiting for my minimum payment to go out for hsbc then everything will have been paid this month.

Bad news on oh's overdraft, it is now actually accruing interest. I need to find £1k as fast as humanly possibly but at this time of year I have practically no chance. I need a good plan.

The festive season is taking it's toll on the finances but I'm really enjoying being busier this year and spending more time celebrating with friends, so I can't complain. The last few have been quite quiet so maybe I deserve it. No credit cards have been used, those days are gone, it just feels extravagant to spend my money rather than pay off debt and save it.

Happy money saving everyone and I hope you're all getting some enjoyment out of this mad time of year. :D
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I also had a clear out of the bathroom this morning and found roughly a billion little bottles of shampoo, shower gel and moisturiser that I've helped myself to from hotels over the past wee while. So I've pulled them all out to be used up.

It all helps, right? :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure