Tales from the city

Options

Comments

• in_need_of_direction
    Options
    it does. i finally used up one of many hair products purchased over the years. it also frees up a tiny bit of space.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st 8lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 42.4% through my pb challenge.
  • ani*fan
    ani*fan Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well the Christmas cheer is in full swing here and it's costing a fortune. I still have 2 presents to buy, a work meal out this week and a day out to fund at the weekend. We are running out of cash for all this so the wedding fund is going to take a hit.

I'm a tad annoyed but to be fair, could have seen it coming. I pondered the credit cards but decided that was most definitely not the way forward. I know that feeling of playing catch up with yourself and it's not fun. The wedding money is sitting there, me and OH need to both understand that if we want to do all these things, the cash has to come from somewhere. This last few weeks we have both been so busy at work and so tired that the cash has been left take care of itself. And we all know where that leads.

Fortunately we have the kitten to keep things in perspective. :D

I have a question for everyone. Is it usual for the children in a family (i.e. me) to do all the travel at Christmas to visit parents? I have 2 sets (mine got divorced a very long time ago) and this has always meant 2 Christmas visits, 2 meals, multiple presents, extra car hire and all that. Would it be completely out of order to ask them all to come to us next year? I'd happily fork out for a meal but would appreciate them covering the cost of the travel (a couple of hours' drive) and a hotel stay (or not, if they wanted to go home the same day) and whatever else. It seems strange, now that we're all adults, that I'm always the one having to make that effort. It's not as though I'm a kid going home from Uni for the holidays, or anything like that. It hasn't been that way for a long time. Just wondered what your thoughts were.

Anyway, I'm off to do some sums and figure out exactly how bad this hit will be. Hopefully I'll be able to do some damage limitation. I have a feeling my boss might try to pay for the Christmas meal this week, we're a very small group. If she does, I might just let her.
    If you know you have enough, you're rich. ;)
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The Plan

I get paid again on the 23rd so the last 2 presents will have to wait until then to be bought. Ooh how I love rushing around the shops right before Christmas (note the sarcasm) but it's my own fault so I just need to suck it up.

The money has been muddled this month and I've used my allowance for food and various things. Maybe OH has a miraculous stash left over that needs to be used up. I'll find out.

I'll have one course at the meal and one glass of wine only. I'll budget £20, I have a bus ticket to get there and will get a lift home.

This could all happen within budget. The stumbling block is the day out. Train tickets are bought. I need cash for ice-skating and a lunch out, possibly also a taxi to the train station as we are leaving at a ridiculously early hour and OH is not a morning person.

This is not nearly as bad as I thought. The hit will come in at less than £100, even with buying some cat litter and some shopping which we'll need.

Good. :D
  • hiddenshadow
    Options
    ani*fan wrote: »
    I have a question for everyone. Is it usual for the children in a family (i.e. me) to do all the travel at Christmas to visit parents? I have 2 sets (mine got divorced a very long time ago) and this has always meant 2 Christmas visits, 2 meals, multiple presents, extra car hire and all that. Would it be completely out of order to ask them all to come to us next year?

My parents have been divorced since I was little, and this always meant alternating. (Granted, they also live on opposite sides of the US, so not feasible to visit both for a holiday!) It's a bit easier in the US because there's a holiday in November so you can do sort of a pre-Christmas then re: well-wishes/catching up/etc, and make up for the fact that you won't be there on Christmas day itself.

I don't think inviting everyone to ours would work just because it would be so awkward. My parents get along OK, and I'm sure they would be civil to each other and all, but it wouldn't be relaxed.

Could you have one set round on Christmas and go to the other set for New Year (or Christmas Eve/Boxing Day)? Then at least you only have the one set of travel expenses but get to see both.
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Interesting question. I've always visited my mum (and dad when he was alive) but they are 5 mins away by car. This is the first year I haven't gone with oh to see his parents. I've basically had enough of putting myself out when they don't make the slightest effort. For us it's flights to England, hotel costs as they disapprove of us living together so I can't stay at theirs, the trek to outer London to eat the talk away they order in. They are both retired have time on their hands but won't come to Central London to meet us. They can take a tube or train but choose not to.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st 8lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 42.4% through my pb challenge.
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks for your replies hiddenshadow and INOD. I am also fed up of family not making an effort or even suggesting that they do the travel. I didn't mean having them all together in my home, that would be interesting and not in a good way (!) but they could arrange to come separately for a meal on Christmas Eve or even a few days before or after the day, pretty much like I do, to catch up and exchange presents and all that. Maybe I will be brave and suggest it next year.

I explained the financial situation to OH who made my day by telling me about the £100 she hid away at the start of the month, in case we needed it, knowing it would be a spendy month, so no need to use the wedding fund. :T It's so much better with two heads thinking about all this. I was so pleased.

We narrowly avoided a takeaway situation last night when we both got home from work, absolutely exhausted, and just could not be bothered to cook. I managed to find some (quorn) chicken nuggets in the back of the freezer and also some frozen roast potatoes so we ate without ridiculous spending. I wrappped some pressies, dyed my hair then promptly then fell asleep on the couch. :o

I have a long and difficult day today and then a meal out tonight. On Saturday we have a day out and I'm hoping to keep spends to a minimum. Roll on Sunday when I can lie in bed all day and watch netflix. ;)

The kitten is showing great interest in our Christmas tree but has so far managed not to climb it, eat it or destroy it in any way. This is good.

I hope everyone's managing to enjoy some christmas festivities.
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My minimum payment towards hsbc card has gone through so I've updated my signature.

The total debt stands at £9148.20. It's definitely smaller than it's ever been. :D
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Brilliant achievement so close to Christmas
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks INOD. :) I'm feeling pretty good about the debt progress today.

We had our day out to see some friends yesterday. It was lovely to see them, and I managed to stay within budget so that was good, but the day was hectic and noisy with much pushing and shoving in crowds and really, not at all what I had hoped for or needed. :(

Still, the shopping is finished and there's a few days before the christmas family visits start. I'm looking foward to the first week of January when I can just lie in bed for 7 days. :D

I'm also trying to figure out how to get the debt below £9k in time for the New Year, that would be amazing progress.

Happy debt busting everyone. :)
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I had another mse score yesterday. Future mil announced that she is making dinner when we go to visit so we are not going out to eat after all. This is just lovely of her and means we save somewhere around £40 - £60. :T

It all helps to keep the festivities within budget and I like that.

I'm almost finished work for the year. Tomorrow lunch time can't come soon enough.

Hope everyone's having fun. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure