Tales from the city

Options
1838485868789»

Comments

• hiddenshadow
    hiddenshadow Posts: 2,525 Forumite
    Options
    I haven't worked any job in the UK more than 2 years (aside from when I was working for my own LTD company freelancing) and my pension has stayed open/available for me to put money into it. They always ask what company it was opened for originally, but they're happy to have me contribute to it out of my own post-tax money, or (in my last role) have my employer contribute on my behalf pre-tax. I just have to print out a form to give to the employer with the details of the account.

(All that to say: even if you haven't contributed for 2 years and can't transfer for some reason, it should still belong to you and be accessible to you in the future - I would hope!)
  • dionysia
    dionysia Posts: 81 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    That seems very odd about the pension! I'd definitely try to speak to someone else or have a little google around. With less than two years I think you do have the option to take the money back but it shouldn't be mandatory, I'd have thought at least you should be able to transfer it to a pension of your choice. And losing the employer contribution doesn't seem right, that was part of your overall compensation package! It'd be like them coming and saying you have to give them back cash!
    June 2017: owe £16,818.
    June 2018: owe £13,263.
  • ani*fan
    ani*fan Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thank you both for your helpful replies, you've just convinced me to go back and ask again. Like I said, the woman I spoke to sounded like a muppet who couldn't admit she didn't know something so maybe made things up.

:)
    If you know you have enough, you're rich. ;)
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've joined the Millionaire Challenge on here. :rotfl: Guess I'm feeling optimistic. :D I'm not entirely sure I'll ever be worth a million, but it looks like a lot of fun trying to get there.

I'm also thinking I need a new diary. I started this one as I had a new fresh start in a new city, very different from my old country cottage. I'm now in a different situation again, about to get married, finished the course I came here to do, another new start happening.

Maybe I'll away and figure out a first summary post on a new start on here too. :)
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 10 July 2017 at 7:59AM
    Options
    I've started a new diary, yey! Exciting! Please come and join me on it everyone, you're all most welcome! It's called 'Ditching the last of the pizza debt'.

:D
  • Eager_Elephant
    Eager_Elephant Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ooh will follow you over....

for those that cant find the diary in amongst them all here's the link - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5677139
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure