Tales from the city

Options

Comments

• hiddenshadow
    Options
    ani*fan wrote: »
    I've been continuing to minimise my flat, all those cupboards and spaces full of junk that I didn't even realise were bogging me down. Every time I do another little bit I feel amazing. The minimalists suggest an ongoing paring down of your stuff and that sounds like a good plan to me.

I really like this idea. I've been tackling de-cluttering one space at a time, and it seems like every new space I find more things that I really just don't need. We're working on our 4th bag of clothes for the charity shop, and still have about 1/3 of the house to go through! Amazing, really, when you think about it.
  • Kahra
    Kahra Posts: 88 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I watched that documentary on Netflix too, and really enjoyed the message. A few years ago I ended up selling/gifting everything I owned and moving to the UK with just a backpack, and it felt really freeing. After going to the other extreme, I have so much gratitude for the things I've slowly added back into my life that serve me well.

Happy New Year! _party__party__party_
  • ani*fan
    ani*fan Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Happy New Year

_party__party_:beer::j:D:beer::wave:
    If you know you have enough, you're rich. ;)
  • hiddenshadow
    hiddenshadow Posts: 2,525 Forumite
    Options
    Kahra wrote: »
    I watched that documentary on Netflix too, and really enjoyed the message. A few years ago I ended up selling/gifting everything I owned and moving to the UK with just a backpack, and it felt really freeing. After going to the other extreme, I have so much gratitude for the things I've slowly added back into my life that serve me well.

I wish I'd done this. I moved with 3 suitcases, but haven't been mindful enough about adding things back into my life. :o
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Kahra wrote: »

Isn't it interesting how our things can weigh us down? It is definitely freeing to let them go and it's making me much more grateful for all the things I have and want to keep. Simplicity is addictive. :D

You're so brave Kahra, moving far away from home with nothing but a rucksack. What a step to take. Amazing. Happy New Year!! :D
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I wish I'd done this. I moved with 3 suitcases, but haven't been mindful enough about adding things back into my life. :o

You're decluttering now, maybe this had to be the right time. :D
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    Happy New Year Ani!

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 86% paid Mortgage Neutral: 100% Emergency Fund: 100%
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I had a bit of a meltdown yesterday. :o I was checking the cash, as always, and trying to figure out what to do about OH's overdraft that is now costing us £30 per month. OH was being no help and I just lost it completely. Oh dear. :(

We have since decided on a plan to clear the overdraft. Some of our spends for this month are going towards it, and also some of the wedding money. There is no point having cash in savings accounts when a debt is costing all that money. If the wedding has to be shrunk because we can't afford all those guests then so be it. We'll need to keep saving as hard as we can and see how it all is nearer the time. I will not increase the debt for this wedding, whatever happens. None of it will go on credit.

On the plus side, once all the money transferring is done today, OH will be overdraft- free for the first time since age 17, which was not recently. :D That's got to feel good.
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've just updated my signature which I haven't done for a while. The debt is very close to £9k and will go under that with minimum payments in February. :j That's almost £10k paid off since I started this diary. Wow.

The budget is all sorted for next month. I'm not sure whether the extra council tax should go to the wedding fund or the debt but whatever, everything is covered. :)

It's been a very slow and relaxed month so far. Long may that continue. :D

Happy debt busting everyone.
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I just updated my signture again, the first cc payment of the month has gone through so the debt is down by £25. It may be a small reduction, but some months it feels like a huge achievement. That's £25 of debt I will NEVER own again, very happy to minimise it and get rid. :D

The bad financial news is I have 2 driving fines this month. Grr. Annoying, but that's life sometimes I guess.

The good news is that my mum has given us a big amount of cash to help with the wedding. I am thrilled to bits and so grateful for every penny of it. The planning continues, we're so organised it's unbelievable and now the pressure of paying for it all is completely off. We can easily manage to find the rest. Phew.

I'm glad January is over. The cold and dark was really starting to get to me, bring on spring time!

Happy debt busting everyone. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure