Options

Comments

• Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Early/late post Ani!!
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • ani*fan
    ani*fan Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You know me Igamogam, insomniac as ever. :)

I discovered a website called The Minimalists this week, 2 guys talking about how having less 'stuff' can help you feel less overwhelmed, more calm, etc. A couple of days later, their documentary appeared on netflix and me and OH watched it together. We then proceeded to get rid of about 60% of the old 'stuff' that we hoard in our flat. Just like that. :eek:

We didn't have loads to begin with, I have already sold everything worth selling, but I managed to find loads more that could just get flung out. Our flat now feels so much calmer and more relaxed I just can't tell you. Who knew peace would actually arrive at Christmas? :xmastree:

I also signed up to Project 333. This one's about minimising your wardrobe and using only 33 items of clothing for 3 months. I have stored my summer stuff, flung out the old worn clothes and have a small bag ready for the charity shop.

Both of these websites talk about us all being overwhelmed by choice. This is my problem in supermarkets, do we need a whole aisle of different cereals? Really? I didn't realise the impact elsewhere though and I've been so surprised. I'm on a mission to continue paring down and only have what I truly need or find beautiful. It feels very liberating. I have added my West Wing dvd collection to the charity shop bag this morning and my world did not collapse at the thought of giving it away. I have watched it a million times, a million and one is not required for me to know the world would be a better place if Martin Sheen was president. :)

Today we head off to see my family and have an overnight stay booked in a spa hotel. I can't wait. The presents are all bought and wrapped, a table booked for dinner, and everything is sorted. I'm so pleased the holidays are here. :D

I hope everyone's managing to find some peace amidst this Christmas madness. :)
    If you know you have enough, you're rich. ;)
  • crazy_cat_lady
    Options
    Oh, I really think I need to watch this. I think I have one of the most cluttered houses in the world...
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Go and have a wee look crazy cat lady. I thought it was some gimmicky thing but wanted to give it a go anyway. OH joined in whole heartedly and the difference in our state of mind was remarkable. You really feel much less bogged down, everything seems easier from cooking the tea to choosing your clothes in the morning. There's definitely something in this.
  • hiddenshadow
    Options
    This reminds me - I'm currently re-watching The West Wing via iTunes, but I have at least 3 (I think 4) seasons on DVDs. Should get rid of those for sure.

I will look for that movie - I'm growing more minimalist year on year, sadly I'm not sure DH agrees with that sentiment. ;)
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ani*fan wrote: »

We didn't have loads to begin with, I have already sold everything worth selling, but I managed to find loads more that could just get flung out. Our flat now feels so much calmer and more relaxed I just can't tell you. Who knew peace would actually arrive at Christmas? :xmastree:

Oh you really need to look at this thread if you havent done so already! Nice people there too;)
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Merry Christmas to all my mse friends. :xmastree:
  • misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,883 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Merry Christmas ani. Hope you have a lovely day :)
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10802.94/£15000 (72% saved). Emergency fund - £1550.15/£2000 (77.5% saved).
  • crazy_cat_lady
    Options
    Merry Christmas :xmassmile
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hello lovely people :D

How's everyone doing this festive season? I hope we're all managing to find some peace and relaxation amidst the frenzy.

My family visits all went surprisingly well, everyone behaving appropriately, haha. I had a hotel disappointment for one night but it was no big deal, a lesson for the future though. All my gifts were gratefully received which I was worried about given the tight budget but it seems to have been a success. And I didn't get any wierd stuff so that's good. I've had a lot of wine as always over the hols, and New Year tonight so it'll happen again, I've also had several delicious meals out and eaten too much rich food but what the hell. Recovery is what January is for. :D

I've been continuing to minimise my flat, all those cupboards and spaces full of junk that I didn't even realise were bogging me down. Every time I do another little bit I feel amazing. The minimalists suggest an ongoing paring down of your stuff and that sounds like a good plan to me. Thanks for the thread tip Igamogam, I had a look and it's really good.

Everything has come in on budget so far. This is truly a miracle. I had a scary moment at one meal when a family member seemed to misunderstand the arrangement and thought I was paying for EVERYONE :eek: but I soon knocked that on the head. Happy to pay my share, but can't afford more than that and that's just how it is. ;)

So onwards to the New Year. I have savings plans and debt repayment plans but I'll save them for tomorrow and that 'fresh start' feel.

Have a wonderful evening everyone. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure