PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

May 2014 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Actually just realised my three quid for this week is overly optimistic. It's OH's blooming birthday on Monday 5th and I've decided to cook Nigella's choc and guinness cake. On Saturday night we're going to see the Book of Mormon so I will present the cake that morning and we will have it for breakfast/brunch with coffee and save our appetites for a meal out in London. Think I have lots of cake making stuff though so should still come in low :D
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    NSD here.
    We had roast for dinner.

[IMG][/img]Saturdaysdinner_zps038f5d91.jpg
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering - 2024 - 4,177 June - 1966/153
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £47.95/£100 NSD - 114
    2024 Craft Makes - 235 Craft Spends 2024 £403.10/£500
  • poolie_purse_strings
    Options
    I am a grocery challenge virgin but am horrified and embarrassed at how much we (well, I as I am the only one who does any food shopping in our house) spend on food. I have GOT to do something to break what feels like an addiction to supermarkets!!:eek:

Don't know if I am joining in the correct way (have never used a forum before- another first), but I am going to try and run down the cupboards and freezer(s) which are groaning at the seams and aim fo £600 which I know is a massive budget but I have to start somewhere. That's for 2 adults and 2 teenagers with hollow legs.

Sorry...can't get this to post in red...have tried - promise.
    Grocery Challenge May=£587.13/£600,
    June= £ ??/£500 (total disaster)
    July = £381.42/£500 NSD = 8
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,375 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I am still around, although posting rarely. Good to see some returners. I spent less than expected last month, though mostly because we were away over Easter and that was a different budget. A long story but I now have a 5.5 kilo turkey in the freezer, so a very active tetris session was called for to make enough space. It will stop me hoarding meat this year as I have no intention of using big bird before Christmas. My spend is running at 27.33% spent against an averaging profile of 33.33% at this point.

Good luck everyone and don't forget the first few posts contain some excellent starting advice.

SL
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • just_the_two_of_us
    Options
    Sorry...can't get this to post in red...have tried - promise.

Welcome Poolie Purse Strings - we all had to start somewhere. Good to have you with us.

To get the text to go red just highlight the text then click the arrow dropdown next to the Capital A on the toolbar. Should get a choice of colours.

For more editing - smilies etc - click on Go Advanced.

I find keeping a monthly spreadsheet with the date and total spent that dayhelps me to keep control of my spending better. I also use a reducing balance to help me know what is left!

Have a good day everyone.
    July 16 £95/£200
    Nov 16 £0/£200

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don't need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself." Thich Nhat Hahn
  • Ninno820
    Ninno820 Posts: 765 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all. Breakfast was frozen fruit from the freezer with some yoghurt. Lunch will be a breakfast brunch mash up - bacon, onion, mushrooms, baked beans and egg 9all lurking in the fridge and needs using up) and dinner will be two slices or a four bird roast (left overs from last Sunday and frozen ready to be used up) with veg.
    44 day challenge

1. Pay £650 off overdraft (£ 288/ £650)
    2. Lose 12 lbs (4.5/ 12)
    3. Use YNAB everyday (6/44)
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    Options
    Morning
    I spent a huge £42.52 in Aldi yesterday :eek: I am pleased with how much I got for that though :) I have meal planned for the week and there will still be 2pks of mince left and a full chicken to take in to the week after.

Sunday- Spam fritter, chips and peas. Our fakeaway
    Monday- Chorizo spicy mince in wraps
    Tuesday- Oxtail stew with herby dumplings
    Wednesday- TITH with any veg that needs used up
    Thursday- Jambalaya with spring rolls
    Friday- Fish, chips and mushy peas
    Saturday- Pasta bake with garlic bread

I've got everything in to make these except peppers so I am hoping for a low spend week.

Breakfasts will be muesli, benefit which is Aldis special K or porridge.
    Lunches will be chicken noodle soup as I have 2 carcasses in the freezer. Rest of the week lunches will be cheesy jacket potatoes and beans or quiche.
    Snacks will be HM yoghurt with dried fruit or hm shortbread

I must get a move on and start making the soup :o
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Welcome Poolie :beer: Look forward to hearing how you get on.

Someone gave me six mangoes and a small crate of strawberries so I'm going to use these for breakfasts and puddings :D

Also got given a bottle of lovely Israeli wine from my Jewish friend, along with some spice mixes. Not bad going :T
  • cats_ahoy
    cats_ahoy Posts: 144 Forumite
    Options
    Spend of £52.98 in Mr Ts, our May GC starts from tomorrow but we had a 5 of 40 voucher that expires today so started a day early, nice and stocked up now for the month :D the plan is to just do small shops and run the cupboards down now.
    Getting married September 2015 :j
  • icontinuetodream
    Options
    Wasn't meant to be starting until the 1st but needed bananas & sugar for the wine-making and some loo-roll so had to break into May's budget early!!:o

Have spent £49.80 from the budget, which included tinned mackerel and sardines plus salad, noodles and bread for dh lunches/brekkies at work (£9.27 in total), loo roll, three packs of bacon and a big slab of cheese from f*rm foods, some meds (headache tablets & antacids), six bags of sugar and bananas for the wine, plus some marker pens for the freezer bags and air fresheners for the car....and the inevitable stacks of milk which we seem to go through in droves at the moment!!:eek:

Not the best start, but also not too bad really....just need to try to keep it down where possible as the money has to last to the end of the month regardless!!:D
    Mortgage 12.12.12 £55842 12.12.13 £42716 14.12.14 £28837 13.12.15 £25913
    Mortgage OP £50/£600 House Fund £420/£5000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills