PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

May 2014 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• newthrift
    newthrift Posts: 1,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Welcome Poolie!! Best of luck!! Doesn't matter what size budget you start with starting is the main thing :D
    There is so much helpful stuff on the forums and support and help :)

I am noting my first two May spends as I have been busy and not had chance to add up and post, sorry :o
    First week = £46.20 (Ald* + Mozza's)
    Second week = £53.62 (Ald*, Mozza's + butchers)
    Have adapted to using a little less meat and doing more normal size portions and it's much better :)
    Should only be a mini spend next week as we go on holiday next Sunday for 5 days!
    Will not go and update my sig as didn't do it the other day.
    Christmas is the most magical time of the year :santa2:
    Mum to two boys :heartpuls
  • minicooper272
    minicooper272 Posts: 2,131 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all, reporting in for duty for May. Going to aim for a reduced target of £70 this month please :)

Although my month won't really start until Thursday, I've kind of already spent £13 of it (will pay my rainy day fund back on pay day) after stumbling upon a Group0n for veg boxes. I've been toying with the idea of getting a veg box for a while, and it seemed daft to pass up on it when it was less than half price!
  • just_the_two_of_us
    Options
    I am reporting an advance May spend too!!! Store cupboard stuff bought earlier in the year and Mr T delivery booked for tomorrow.
    Signature updated.

I have increased by £50 so that we can have more fruit yoghurt etc to give the best start on SW. Think it is do-able as have a number of meals in freezer already.
    July 16 £95/£200
    Nov 16 £0/£200

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don't need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself." Thich Nhat Hahn
  • smokies
    smokies Posts: 138 Forumite
    Options
    Glad to see the back of April - went way over most of my budgets but more so on my food shopping....

Please can you put me down for £300.00 for the month on MAY to start 1st May.

I have opened a separate back account where I will put in £300 over this month so once its gone its gone.

Hoping to have 10 no spends days this month....

Have a great month folks

Off to total up April spends
    Sell £750.00
    Jan-feb-march - 150.00

• CH27
    CH27 Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    Options
    I've made a list for shopping tomorrow & I will stick to it.

I've also partially prepared a cottage pie for tomorrow. I just need to add the leftover beef from tonight & top with mash.
    Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We ate out today - at Church - donation for meal.
    Got some whoops on way home - 10p items - bread/cherry scones/onion loaf/yogurt + sausage rolls.
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering - 2024 - 4,177 June - 1966/153
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £47.95/£100 NSD - 114
    2024 Craft Makes - 235 Craft Spends 2024 £403.10/£500
  • Chi-me
    Chi-me Posts: 329 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 27 April 2014 at 6:50PM
    Options
    My son and his GF came over for dinner. I used the final 1/3rd of portioned and frozen pork loin that was YS to £4 a month ago.

We all had three nice slices of pork, roast Sava mushrooms. I raided my 'Holocaust' cupboard for YS tins of green beans, peas and whole carrots and sweetcorn ff. I had a bag of YS National Trust spuds that I got for £1 this week, so used some for roasties and hm yorkshire pud too. There was also some Paxo from the store cupboard and B*sto gravy browning from the cupboard.

All in all a huge, filling Sunday roast which worked out at around £3.32
    for four, or £0.83p each :D

I also have enough LO veg and spuds for Bubble n' Squeak tomorrow with LO chicken from the rubber chicken :T
    :money:
  • Mrs-s_4
    Mrs-s_4 Posts: 87 Forumite
    Options
    £2.34 spends today on bread and doughnuts from co*p. another NSD yesterday. Huge mr T shop arriving tomorrow to last 9 days and also has lots of nappies and wipes on the order to stock up for new baby arriving!
    January Grocery challenge - £165.31/£350
  • poolie_purse_strings
    Options
    Need to do a spend update...have had a big stock up on all sorts as I had various vouchers which were expiring this weekend and needed to use. I am not planning on doing much except a bit of fresh fruit and veg for the next couple of weeks (at least), so although this is a large total so early on in the month I am hoping it will pay off in the long-run!

So, here goes:
    Mr T's = £4.10 (had money off coupons for bake at home bread, mascarpone cheese (which I have used with spinach to fill giant pasta shells and squeezed into freezer), and stir fry sauce which will keep in cupboard for a rainy day)

Morri's = £51.92 (used coupon £2 off if you spend over £30...didn't keep very good track of when I'd got to £30 though did I ?!)

S'brys = £72.77 (using a coupon for £14 off if you spend over £75.00, which I had before discount)

TOTAL SPEND = £128.79 :eek::eek::eek:

Quite frightening to be that far into the budget on day one, but hey ho...keep focussed (said with head in hands and credit card locked away for a week to stop unplanned trips to supermarket on the way past which will be a bit like 'cold turkey' for me).

Off to start a spreadsheet as suggested...

Grocery Challenge May=£587.13/£600,
    June= £ ??/£500 (total disaster)
    July = £381.42/£500 NSD = 8
  • recovering_spendaholic
    recovering_spendaholic Posts: 3,062 Forumite
    edited 28 April 2014 at 1:05PM
    Options
    Managed to get through the weekend on the last of April's budget so am ready to start May's challenge. Only small problem is that I should have been getting paid tomorrow (am self employed) and it might be a bit late! Need to do a big shop but it can wait a bit longer - have got a loaf in the bread maker and just got chicken out of the freezer for dinner tomorrow night. Might bake a few muffins or fairy cakes tomorrow too - we have loads of Easter chocolate to use up!
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure