PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May 2014 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Lily_rose_2
    Options
    Home Bargains do a pack of quilted loo roll...it's called Nicky Elite...£3.99 for 18 rolls!! All my family use it now!
    2nd January 2015: Total £4970.70 Total now: £4878.88 :eek:
    Mum & Dad £100/£1795.00
    [STRIKE]Next £135.70/£135.70[/STRIKE]Balance now £0 :j
    Barclaycard £0/£3183.88 0%
  • Chi-me
    Chi-me Posts: 329 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Florenceem wrote: »
    Spend of £2.22 today - needed milk + rinse aid + bananas.
    Made 16 portions of yummy pie for approx - £2.50
    Always put LO cooked meat in freezer as soon as possible so it doesn't get nibbled! Then when you have enough for a pie - off you go.
    Thursdaysdinner_zps39e501e0.jpg

What a brilliant idea! I have a carnivore OH and if I leave even a slice in the fridge he'll nab it. I have begun saving bread crusts for crumbs and cheese bits to go in casserols... new tupperware will be meaty bits for Flo's yummy pie :T
    :money:
  • TattyG
    TattyG Posts: 228 Forumite
    Options
    Can I join in please - today is hubby's pay day so will run from today. Not sure what total to go for so this month will be writing it all down and seeing how much we spend and take it from there.

Hoping to use up a lot of what we have in the freezer and cupboards too. I keep thinking we have nothing in, buying more and then realising the stores are already bursting :/

Tonight's tea is sorted - veggie and bean curry (everything from store cupboard) followed by rhubarb crumble (left over from yesterday) or maybe Jam Pudding (in cupboard already) so hoping for a food NSD today :) x

Thank you xx
    Aug Comp Wins - :j

Fly Lady - Day Completed -

Starting to OS again and get life into some kind of order!
    :T
  • Jellybaby
    Jellybaby Posts: 1,011 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi everyone, I've been AWOL for a while but after checking what I've spent on food in April I'm back with a vengence! There's only two of us in the house at the moment, myself and DS2, and I'm absolutely shocked and disgusted at what I've spent on food.

So for May I'm aiming for £200

Off to check what's in the cupboards and plan.....
  • Chi-me
    Chi-me Posts: 329 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My first May shop at Mr A's came in at £46.52 and included a YS extra large chicken for £4.32 so rubber chicken commences tonight ;)

The shop was all groceries, pet stuff, cleaning and personal items. I also have 12 loo rolls too so won't need any more this month I hope.
    :money:
  • MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ideas for coming month to use up what I have - will use this to keep my ideas and update as I go

1) ribeye steak (freezer) over rice noodles (cupboard) w/stir fry veg
    2) butternut squash and sage risotto (freezer)
    3) chicken (freezer) and chorizo (fridge) jambalaya
    4) Fish pie (smoked salmon fillets and pollock in freezer)
    5) Chilli/spag bol with soya mince
    6) fajitas with the soy beef/quorn chicken (freezer) and refried beans (beans in cupboard)
    7) Chana masala (loadddds of dried chickpeas)
    8) Lentil soup/lentil bolognese
    9) tuna (cupboard) salad
    10) h/m falafels and hummus
    11) lots of tinned soups - these can be my lunches

I'm bizarrely excited! I spent over £250 in two weeks of last month :eek:
  • lushlifesaver
    lushlifesaver Posts: 2,375 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well I'll mosey on over here now as my month starts today!

Been out town to visit the local market and spent:
    £0.50 lettuce
    £1.00 strawberries
    £1.50 2 x honeydew melon
    £1.00 2 x malt loaf
    £1.50 ice cream
    £0.70 aero mousses
    £0.68 bananas
    £1.50 2 x fondant fancies

Total: £8.38 to be add to sig. The fondant fancies, ice cream and aero mousses are all treats but taking them from this budget to start getting more disciplined

Hoping to eat almost exclusively from the cupboards this week, will just need some juice/squash.My hope for the month is to clear the freezer down as much as possible so that we can re-stock it for summer with BBQ treats and with a few extras for me as bf isn't home more than 4 days in a row once he's back from the US!

Anything saved each week (working to roughly £20 per week) will be put aside to cover extra loveliness/treats/meals out during summer and for our holiday in September :) Going to start drawing out anything saved at the end of each month and saving it in a money box as cash will be easier when we are away (staying near the coast, self catering but with lots of trips planned e.g. animal park, ice cream parlour etc and I figure it's easier to cover the little 'extras' with cash than just pay with plastic and lose track!)
    Daughter born 26/03/14
    Son born 13/02/21
  • CH27
    CH27 Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    Options
    Hi can I join again please?

I've had an expensive couple of months & really need to reign my spending in again.

£40 per week please?
    Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.
  • recovering_spendaholic
    Options
    Can't believe its May already! Can you put me down for £275 for May please?

I have failed miserably the last two months but for May it's just Dd1 and I as DD2 (who eats enough to keep a small village going) is at University. Dd2 is also marginally less fussy too.

My month starts on Monday and this weekend will be just using up leftovers and odd bits from the freezer. Have defrosted about 150g mince and some shortcrust pastry and am going to make some pasties later. Have just had a gorgeous sandwich with leftover home cooked marmalade gammon on home made milk bread - was really the nicest tea I've had for ages!

I made cauliflower cheese last night and it wasn't that nice, so I was thinking of liquidising it with some onions and seasonings and milk to make soup - do you reckon it will be okay?

Hope you all gave a great weekend!
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 8,004 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    NSD.
    For dinner we had HM smoked mackerel quiche + HM wedges + roasted peppers/onions/tomatoes.

[IMG][/img]Fridaysdinner_zps344cc3e7.jpg
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 2024 - 3,129 May - 132/153
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £23.52/£100 NSD - 94
    2024 Craft Makes - 229 Craft Spends 2024 £327.42/£500
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts