PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May 2014 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Mrs_T_M
    Mrs_T_M Posts: 2,039 Forumite
    Options
    Will be starting tomorrow instead of Friday, DH was paid today! Whee!

Made clotted cream ice cream tonight with the ice cream maker. Found two containers of clotted cream for 31p each last weekend and DH has been begging for ice cream since. Had the two containers of clotted cream (62p), 2 eggs (13p - marked down), 250ml milk (10p), and 125g sugar (10p), so the whole recipe costed us 95p to make. Ended up with a full litre container and two bowlfuls! It's really good, but I definitely need something to eat with it, like apple crumble or the like.
    Baby Dale
    26th January 2014 - Forever in our hearts
    :A
    Eli Gabriel 19th February 2015
    :j
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,561 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 27 April 2014 at 9:42PM
    Options
    Hi all

I've had another big absence... surprise surprise!
    Desperately need to get back on it so pledging £120 for May please - 25th April to 23rd May - 4 week month thank goodness!

elsie x
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • cats_ahoy
    cats_ahoy Posts: 144 Forumite
    edited 24 April 2014 at 8:46AM
    Options
    Hi could you put me down for £200 for May please, will be starting on the 28th April when my partner gets paid. :j To include all groceries and household items for 2 adults and 2 cats.
    Getting married September 2015 :j
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,573 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    edited 24 April 2014 at 8:55AM
    Options
    £310for me please. To start on payday which is the 9th (I thought it was the 4th).
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £118.89 April £
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm going to try £250 for two adults, a child and two cats. I've got loads in the cupboard and freezer and DD gets a hot meal, pudding and two snacks at school so should be doable!
  • p-pincher
    p-pincher Posts: 727 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Everyone

Had a good month last month, came in just under £250.00. Going to go for the same again this month. I will keep a track myself if that's ok. Need to get my hands on the Aldi voucher to use a the weekend. My challenge officially starts is tomorrow as thats when Dh gets paid.

I've run down the freezer but there's still about a weeks worth of meat in there, plus the usual fishfingers, faggots etc.

I've noticed that quite a few people are starting SW. Same here. About 4 years ago i lost nearly 5 stone, only put a couple back on but really want to get back on track. A new group has started so I will be going next Weds. I dont find my general shopping really changes to much. We love pasta heres and we use the value tesco pasta and Aldi passatta all the time so I can make at least a few cheap meals a week. I also have an Egg dinner once a week as well a Jacket potatoes, normally on a Friday after the kids swimming lessons.

Regarding the yoghurts, they do bump the bill up a bit so I do limit myself. I worked out i was spending over £20 a month on yoghurts and about £15 a month on cereal bars so you do need to keep a check on it. I make sure i scour mysupermarket as well as morrisons, iceland. co-op and heron to get the best deals.
    March 2014 Grocery challenge £250.00
  • just_the_two_of_us
    just_the_two_of_us Posts: 1,142 Forumite
    edited 25 April 2014 at 11:48AM
    Options
    p-pincher wrote: »
    Regarding the yoghurts, they do bump the bill up a bit so I do limit myself. I worked out i was spending over £20 a month on yoghurts and about £15 a month on cereal bars so you do need to keep a check on it. I make sure i scour mysupermarket as well as morrisons, iceland. co-op and heron to get the best deals.

Morries 10 for £3 M Light - until 18 May.
    July 16 £95/£200
    Nov 16 £0/£200

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don't need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself." Thich Nhat Hahn
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    p-pincher wrote: »
    Hi Everyone

Had a good month last month, came in just under £250.00. Going to go for the same again this month. I will keep a track myself if that's ok. Need to get my hands on the Aldi voucher to use a the weekend. My challenge officially starts is tomorrow as thats when Dh gets paid.

I've run down the freezer but there's still about a weeks worth of meat in there, plus the usual fishfingers, faggots etc.

I've noticed that quite a few people are starting SW. Same here. About 4 years ago i lost nearly 5 stone, only put a couple back on but really want to get back on track. A new group has started so I will be going next Weds. I dont find my general shopping really changes to much. We love pasta heres and we use the value tesco pasta and Aldi passatta all the time so I can make at least a few cheap meals a week. I also have an Egg dinner once a week as well a Jacket potatoes, normally on a Friday after the kids swimming lessons.

I am also doing SW and still trying to keep to my challenge for the year, I also find the yogurts bumping up the bill as previously I made my own but find I can offset this my getting cheaper fruit and veg at the market.

By being a bit more inventive I find I can stretch things a little bit for example I buy smart price stir fry veg, £1 and had only ever used it for stirfry but have found a couple of handfuls in a pot and 1tbs light dressing gives me a crunchy coleslaw type salad to which I can add a bit of ham,chicken tinned fish etc that goes great with a baked pot or something for lunch.

Soup is also a money saver I have a nice recipe for tomato and lentil soup,

1 tin tomatoes
    1 tin water
    1/2 cup red lentils
    2 sticks celery
    You can spice this up anyway you like, I use garlic and paprika
    dried basil.
    Slimming World at target
  • Beckyy
    Beckyy Posts: 2,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Could I join please, with a budget of £300 :)
  • Chi-me
    Chi-me Posts: 329 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    NSD here, I had a baking day and made lemon curd muffins and I made frugalqueen's Homity pie, I've never tried it before, it was gorgeous!

Another first for me, posting a photo, I hope it works and isn't too massive! :D

unnamed.jpg
    :money:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family