PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

OS Singlies - We Do It Our Way!

Options

Comments

• Winter_Phoenix
    Options
    Who saw the eclipse? Wasn't it fab?

It's not fair! I'm green with envy! Nothing but heavy-duty "morning mist" here, beyond which the sun and moon could have been doing anything or nothing for all I know!

Hope your flu-ey bug is better soon, JKS, I was down with it last week and am still feeling a bit washed out.
    e cineribus resurgam
    ("From the ashes I shall arise.")
  • Frugalista
    Frugalista Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 March 2015 at 4:28PM
    Options
    Personal opinions have been expressed that indeed shouldn't have been expressed and have no part on our thread.

Personal opinions are all anyone has to offer on any given subject, are they not? Everybody on here posts their own personal take on life in general - some you agree with, some you don't -such is the way of conversations and forums.
    Everyone is entitled to an opinion, just because it doesn't tie in with your own doesn't make it a troll.

Absolutely :T.

When I posted I was very upset by what I, personally, saw as an act of vandalism. I speak as I find in real life too, and posted from the heart.

LavendarBees, I am sorry if you felt my post detracted from your thread, that was never my intention and I apologise to you. However, I stand by my personal opinion and my right to express it.

As for the eclipse, although it went a bit dull here there was nothing to see but a general haziness. Still, as others have said, it's probably the last one I will see in my lifetime so at least I can say I was there!
    "Men are generally more careful of the breed(ing) of their horses and dogs than of their children" - William Penn 1644-1718
  • Winter_Phoenix
    Options
    mum2one wrote: »
    I'm sure as a group of "virtual friends" that were not going o let trolls spoil what is a good thread

Mum2one: as always, wise and practical advice. :)

Hope that your friend in Tunisia is safe - what a dreadful thing to happen to those poor innocent tourists.
    e cineribus resurgam
    ("From the ashes I shall arise.")
  • Frankiesphone
    Options
    From bigoted posts to full blown lies. Not fair to preach and lecture people on your financial management and life skills only for it to emerge through her alter ego that the truth was a whole other story. Is it trolling to be annoyed that she continues to post and is so darned arrogant and patronising?

The same can be said for Horace, in actual fact, I thought that was who you were referring to!. Because I had dared to challenge her on a comment she made about her disability and age, and not being able to get a job because of it!, I was referred to as a troll and an a@rse! In actual fact, I was going to offer assistance but in light of the spiteful and b@tchy comments, I think I'll withdraw my offer!.
  • purpleshoes_2
    purpleshoes_2 Posts: 2,653 Forumite
    Options
    I was an avid follower of the previous thread started by the OP. That thread was kind and supportive in the main, I left it because of someone who responded to something I said in passing and they made it into a big deal, it was just a passing comment, an opinion about something and not aimed at anyone, not offensive. I bowed out of that thread after that and didn't post on it again.

The problem is, when people do pick up on something you have said and call you out on it and you feel like an idiot (the person who had an issue with me came out of nowhere, hadn't posted on the thread before), people looking on might think, what's all that fuss about, it's how you feel that matters.

There are people's posting styles I like across the boards and people's posting styles I don't. Of course someone's posting style doesn't necessarily make them a troll, but when you've been on the receiving end of horrible behaviour online, it really isn't nice, it can get to the point where you don't want to look on threads because you don't know what's going to be said about you next.

If this thread helps build community for the people who post on it, fair enough. I like to think I don't need anyone to police me, I can police myself and the people who I do think talk a lot of hot air (as Im sure plenty people think I do, I just read and move on).

Makes for a happier online existence.
  • LavenderBees
    LavenderBees Posts: 1,718 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Personal opinions have been expressed that indeed shouldn't have been expressed and have no part on our thread.

I guess expecting the initiator of a thread to act as "thread police" isn't a role ever foreseen as likely by the OP of a thread and must come as a bit of a surprise to find posts like it happening on a thread they originated and may not wish to spend time/emotional energy on fulfilling such a role or may wonder if "policing" would work at dealing with such posts.

Perhaps its best if we collectively ignore the posts that started this topic off and move on and forget the posts concerned now.

Excuse me? Are you seriously trying to second guess my motives in not responding to your PM or coming galloping to your rescue? Are you honestly trying to justify my lack of reaction, so as to make yourself feel better? You don’t know me. You presume you do, in fact, this week you have presumed an awful lot, and in so doing, you have over stepped my mark. Quite honestly, you are clueless about what I think about you and your posts.

Believe me, when I say I just DIDN’T WANT TO!!! Is that clear enough for you? I hope so.

I am unsure which part of my post this morning left you in any doubt that a) I do not think of these posters with opinions that differ from you as trolls and b) that you were somehow excluded from my request that everyone respect each others right to speak up. Was I really too subtle?

Why do you think you can post very strong views, and yet not accept that others can disagree with you?

You seem to have taken my silence about your posts to be that I agree with your comments in your posts - Let me be even clearer – I do not! However, I do respect that you have the right to make the comments. Likewise, you must in turn accept that others have the same right. Calling thread members trolls is not acceptable to me. Just because you post a lot on the thread does not mean you have greater rights to express yourself than anyone else.

You have spent the last few days trying to get me involved in this unpleasantness, and well done, you have finally succeeded, but not quite the response you hoped for, perhaps? I wish you hadn’t involved me but here we are…

As for PrincessTippyToes and Frugalista (and anyone else who wants to join this free for all…rolling my eyes here!:cool:) – this thread is here to support people who often have nowhere else to turn to for support. All I ask is that you respect that, please. Your points are well made but could have been even better made with a more restrained tone. Just my opinion…this isn’t MY thread. I am not the arbiter of good taste/decency etc, but I do think for myself as do many thread members. I prefer subtle to the sledgehammer you’ve employed this week…. You have a right to express your opinion on this thread, but personal attacks are not the way to do it, however much you disagree with a poster.

And I'll say again to anyone else who wants to make the mistake of thinking I'm stupid....I'm not. Not by a long way. Think twice before you try to involve me in your unpleasant games. Next time, I won't be anywhere near as nice.

LB
  • springdreams
    springdreams Posts: 3,623 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Car Insurance Carver! Home Insurance Hacker! Xmas Saver!
    Options
    squeaky wrote: »
    Smiles are as perfect a gift as hugs...
    ..one size fits all... and nobody minds if you give it back.
    ☆.。.:*・° Housework is so much easier without the clutter ☆.。.:*・°
    SPC No. 518
  • springdreams
    springdreams Posts: 3,623 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Car Insurance Carver! Home Insurance Hacker! Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Ouch to the injection - hope it makes some difference over the coming weeks & months.

Sure there will be gazillions of stuff on Stargazing Live BBC2 9pm onwards. I've been glued to it for the last few nights (bit of a astronomy geek) & its been brilliant - especially Brian Cox & Dara O'Briain fanboying over Buzz Aldrin. I'm doing a fab course on FutureLearn about moons - really fascinating & thoroughly recommended; you can still sign up for it & go into as much detail (or not) as you like. Just wish my brain wasn't so full of cotton wool - being off work gives me more time but all I can do is sleep & chat. I tried following the course & could hardly remember anything :rotfl:

My timing is, as ever, shoite :D

Thank you :A

I've seen plenty of photos on this forum and also some footage on the news. Not quite the same as seeing it in real life though. It must have been so amazing. I wish I had been close enough north to see the northern lights that some have had the good fortune to see this week too.
    squeaky wrote: »
    Smiles are as perfect a gift as hugs...
    ..one size fits all... and nobody minds if you give it back.
    ☆.。.:*・° Housework is so much easier without the clutter ☆.。.:*・°
    SPC No. 518
  • LavenderBees
    Options
    I'm surprised to see that a post suggesting a new thread has disappeared...but please MTSTM, do feel free to start your own.

I will be remaining right here. And if I'm on my own, so be it....just like real life then.

:rotfl:
  • LavenderBees
    Options
    Thank you :A

I've seen plenty of photos on this forum and also some footage on the news. Not quite the same as seeing it in real life though. It must have been so amazing. I wish I had been close enough north to see the northern lights that some have had the good fortune to see this week too.

My office is on the 7th floor facing east with a huge window behind my desk, and I had a fantastic view of the eclipse - we had a 95% eclipse so not perfect but awesome all the same. Made even better, believe it or not, by the clouds - they allowed us to look at the sun without eye protection, but weren't thick enough to obscure the view. It was truly awesome. I loved it.

I'm also old enough to remember the 1999 full eclipse.

Probably not going to make the 2090 one though :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family