PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS Singlies - We Do It Our Way!

Options

Comments

• mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    managed to get a line of washing dry today, very pleased, and started the spring cleaning, attacked the garage and took 5 bags to the charity shop.

Back on the hospital run nxt week with dad, its his last Chemo collection, cant beleive how far we have come, literally he wasnt expected to come out of the operation, even the first few days it was hr by hr, now hes about 80% back to what he was.

xx
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Options
    Good news about your dad Mum2One. My uncle has had his last bout of chemo too and his oncologist said that there was no sign of the bowel cancer and that in May he is to go into hospital to have his stoma removed and his colon re-attached.

Feeling cockahoop did some bidding on fleabay today and my heart has been in my mouth but thankfully after a weasel swooped in and tried to outbid me I eventually won the item for £4.70 plus P&P - this one was aqua (an item that I bought earlier was the same but in purple for £10 plus P&P which was still cheap because they normally cost £15). What is even better is that I used the free money that I received from paid surveys that was in my paypal account to pay for this auction lot.:j You might think it odd that I bought two things that were the same but in different colours - it is so the recipients have one each and that they can tell them apart. The items will be delivered next week and then I can arrange to send them to the USA although they will be wrapped carefully because they are an engagement present.
  • mum2one
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Horace - thats brilliant news about your Uncle, hope he goes on ok xx
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 11 March 2015 at 8:43AM
    Options
    Pleased to hear the good news re health for both Horace and MumtoOne:) Fingers crossed that things keep improving there.

Off for another day of Exploring Area. Yesterday went largely down the swanee "fighting" with my computer. Am having intermittent connection problems at the moment and that causes me to panic more than normal these days (ie now that I've moved from Home City to Back of Beyond - so I need it more than I did).

Computer guy coming in later this week for a look at it - so I've done what I can and must get out for my latest Explore Area Mission. Note to self = should stop picking out which houses I would like to view back in Home City and there's one that would suit me nicely on the market at the moment - at £300,000 (ahem...current house probably worth £160,000???). Don't really need a study (as well as 3 bedrooms), an en-suite bathroom and a large cellar....but...hey....they'd be very nice.....and £300k is a fair price for Home City without the "added extras".....

Keep notching up the list of new friends made/new places explored I tell myself and reading the news (ie to remind myself of other reasons I moved here.....besides money).

Right....gird loins Money...get breakfast and put those walking boots on.
  • ellie99
    ellie99 Posts: 1,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Some loin-girding going on here too this morning...spending another day clearing relative's property, it is so exhausting, mentally and physically. And frustrating, when I have a different idea than my DM of how it should be done, but have to do it her way, which is harder work.

Isn't it funny how what we want changes as we grow older? I no longer want the big house (would hate to have a cellar, used to work in an old building with one and hated going down there!)
    I've been enjoying watching Tiny House Nation on TV, although they are extreme examples of small. I like this size http://littlehouseonthehill.weebly.com/

There are pictures of the finished result at the end of the blog. Although I don't want it on a hill, I'd like mine by the sea please :)

MITSTM...if you definitely can't afford to go back, maybe you should stop looking, sounds like you're torturing yourself!

If you could live one day of your life over again, which day would you choose?
  • Horace
    Options
    Made good use of my day yesterday, I met up with my pal in the park and helped her draw the planned route for our Easter Egg hunt. We have decided on giving a questionnaire and asking questions about the park which the kids will have to read from various information points; we will also be having some cryptic clues too.

Had an interesting chat today - I went to a meeting of another Friends group and found out some interesting stuff. Also found out that an ex volunteer has been speaking to people and saying that he is from our Friends group when he isn't - he has been caught out by our park manager and she is aware that he is no longer with us.:mad:

Decided to visit the pizza parlour and bumped into someone I attended the QAC with and he told me where he was working and that this place were looking for staff. I will ring tomorrow because there are some jobs going in their caf! and shop as well as in the garden centre itself. I already have some experience of working in a garden centre - I spent a year doing so when I was at school.

I will be busy on Saturday because I have to attend a meeting in the park and later in the afternoon my best pal is visiting with her dog as she is driving down from Wisbech for the weekend (to stay with her parents).

Bit miffed too because the place where I am on this placement emailed me today with a load of minutes from various meetings - as they came in on my personal email address I have forwarded them to the work email and deleted it - why should I be looking at work stuff when I am at home? It isn't as though I am getting paid.

The amaryllis that mum gave me for Christmas has produced two flower spikes - one is opening, that talking to I gave it must have worked because I threatened it with the compost heap if it didn't produce a flower spike.:rotfl:
  • mum2one
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    thinking of changig the house name to cafe - open all hrs, each ngt this week DD has brought a different friend home, I of the girls does't each meat, mass panic did a pasta bake, now when she brings a friend, she makes a point of saying do u eat meat...

Tonights tea was pizza, garlic bread and wedges.....

I'm so pround of DD she asked tonight could she do the racce for life, for dad, I was bursting with pride....

Back to the consultant tomorrow, so fingers crossed.

On a health view, I was reminded that my smear was overdue..... according to the GP just 5 years out of date..... bless her heart the doc said while your here.... me thinking glad i had a shower just before I went in....
    As me being me, I dont do things by half, didnt work as I have a rather difficult prolaspe..... so I have now been referred to the gyne clinic - been told to prepare myself for more surgery............. I guess it has to be sorted.

On a fun/mad point I int really know but I have dyed my hair was meant to be a red colour, looks more purple.... Only semi one, thought sod it, do things for me. xx
  • Horace
    Options
    Pal came round yesterday for a coffee and a natter - I gave her her birthday presents and her card (slightly late). She loved the wrapping paper and I confessed that I actually didn't have any wrapping paper but had these two pretty bags when I bought birthday cards which I carefully cut down two sides.

She loved her presents and I managed to get rid of something that I bought for my ex OH many moons ago which ended up in my jewellery drawer and hence back at mine - at least her partner will get more enjoyment from it. She has promised to let me have her cappuccino machine so that I can make coffee for committee meetings - I have sorted out my bead collection and shall give them to her as she will make better use of them.

Bless her, I showed her my poor attempts at crochet and she didn't laugh and instead told me to persevere and told me to make a tea cosy for my large tea pot.

Still got the remnants of the cold hanging about so I haven't been to see my parents - dare not go and take germs. Back on placement tomorrow (I do hate it).
  • ellie99
    ellie99 Posts: 1,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Been quiet on here lately, and I'm afraid I don't have anything interesting to add to the conversation! Just plodding along from day to day. My back's been giving me gyp this week, I think I've been doing too much house clearing...back there tomorrow.

Been eating too much chocolate :o

I painted a chair under the light of an energy saving light bulb, thought it was fine...looked at it today outside in daylight, and I've missed bits! I hate the light from these energy saving bulbs, has anyone tried LED bulbs? They seem expensive, but I might be able to read a newspaper in the evenings!

Did anyone do anything nice for mothers day? I'm old and cynical enough now that I wouldn't care if mothers day, fathers day, and valentines day were done away with...I think they can be hard for people for many reasons.

In my house...DS1 didn't bother at all, but he did help me move some furniture from one house to another, which I've been wanting to do for a while, so pleased about that.
    DS2 gave me a thank you card...he couldn't find the mothers day cards in the shops :rotfl:
    But as he actually wanted to say thank you for the help I've been giving him recently, it was quite appropriate, I think it's a keeper :)

Need to get to bed, it's been a very long day.

If you could live one day of your life over again, which day would you choose?
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    This last week has seen me doing my own take on guerrilla gardening, ie footpath clearing.

Having found out that the law allows anyone who wishes to clear a blocked public footpath, I've been out there with my secateurs giving a major "haircut" to a sloe bush that was completely blocking a public footpath at one point.

The farmer wont be able to miss that this has been done and I hope he will get the message that now its possible for people to get through on that footpath then some people will indeed do so. With that...he is now at risk of a health and safety claim for injury because that sloe bush could injure people who aren't rather careful how they get past it and it would be his fault for not removing the bush. Fingers crossed he will get the message and next time I'm in the vicinity I will spot that bush has gone totally.

Note to self time being = don't forget to take the welders gloves I have, as well as my secateurs, next time so that I don't come back with my hands/arms scratched.:cool:

Now that I'm in a small town the structure of society in microcosm is clearer in some ways than in a city and new lessons being learnt about how society is.

Recent lesson being that some people do like to "take charge" of things and be seen as the One To Go To - even if there is nothing in it for them (ie money). Obviously ego is playing a part then....

First instance being my nfh and a large part of why they are being nfh is they regard themselves as "in charge" for no good reason. Apparently their basis as regarding themselves as that is because they are local and have lived here many years. Errr...that's a reason?????. Thankfully nfh is behaving themselves rather better these days (fingers crossed that will continue).

I thought nfh was a one-off but one of the voluntary organisations I work with has someone who regards herself as "in charge" for no good reason either. We are all volunteers, including her, and therefore all have an equal say. However, she regards herself as "in charge" and others tend to treat her as if she is (which rather reinforces it). There have been a couple of awkward incidents recently, when I've been doing "I can see your view is such, well my view is so and our views are to be treated exactly equally. All our views are obviously of equal validity" and reminding her that she isn't paid either and therefore cant be "in charge". With a General Election coming up I detected a sign of bias on her part and quickly destroyed it, ie as the organisation must obviously be impartial, and she didn't have the nerve to comment (as she obviously realises she shouldn't have shown partiality), but Frowns Were Exchanged:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure