PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS Singlies - We Do It Our Way!

Options

Comments

• Winter_Phoenix
    Options
    ellie99 wrote: »
    I painted a chair under the light of an energy saving light bulb, thought it was fine...looked at it today outside in daylight, and I've missed bits! I hate the light from these energy saving bulbs, has anyone tried LED bulbs? They seem expensive, but I might be able to read a newspaper in the evenings!

I've got LED bulbs in some parts of my home. They are great for providing lots of light for very low running costs.

But if you want one piece of useful advice about buying them, I'd say this: Get them from a firm which will freely and swiftly replace any faulty ones, no matter how many times you have to ask for replacements. In my (and my neighbour's) experience, somewhere between 25% and 30% of LED bulbs are faulty in one way or another (don't work at all, go dim very quickly, fall apart when placed into the light fitting, etc.). The ones which work perfectly are wonderful, but you really need to be able to get any faulty ones replaced promptly and without cost.

I'm guessing that (despite their high retail cost) some LED bulbs are being made very cheaply abroad at present, and when the quality market leaders emerge, the high percentage of faulty ones will go away.
    e cineribus resurgam
    ("From the ashes I shall arise.")
  • BookWorm
    BookWorm Posts: 2,466 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just stopping in to say hi. Been busy and so not keeping up with stuff
    Hope all well x
  • ellie99
    ellie99 Posts: 1,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks Winter Phoenix, I've been looking at a company which seems to sell good quality bulbs, I'll check what their refund/replacement policy is.

I'm so fed up right now. The strain of clearing aunts house is getting to the whole family. The only person oblivious to it all is aunt herself, who just left all the mess behind! Have shouted at DS twice this week, and I never fall out or shout at him :(
    Parents are also miserable. Every time I come home from her flat I want to get rid of more things...my DM is bringing stuff home to keep, and her house is already full. Guess who will have to clear that out on her own one day?!

If you could live one day of your life over again, which day would you choose?
  • princesstippytoes
    princesstippytoes Posts: 451 Forumite
    edited 17 March 2015 at 11:08AM
    Options
    This last week has seen me doing my own take on guerrilla gardening, ie footpath clearing.

Having found out that the law allows anyone who wishes to clear a blocked public footpath, I've been out there with my secateurs giving a major "haircut" to a sloe bush that was completely blocking a public footpath at one point.

The farmer wont be able to miss that this has been done and I hope he will get the message that now its possible for people to get through on that footpath then some people will indeed do so. With that...he is now at risk of a health and safety claim for injury because that sloe bush could injure people who aren't rather careful how they get past it and it would be his fault for not removing the bush. Fingers crossed he will get the message and next time I'm in the vicinity I will spot that bush has gone totally.

Note to self time being = don't forget to take the welders gloves I have, as well as my secateurs, next time so that I don't come back with my hands/arms scratched.:cool:

Now that I'm in a small town the structure of society in microcosm is clearer in some ways than in a city and new lessons being learnt about how society is.

Recent lesson being that some people do like to "take charge" of things and be seen as the One To Go To - even if there is nothing in it for them (ie money). Obviously ego is playing a part then....

First instance being my nfh and a large part of why they are being nfh is they regard themselves as "in charge" for no good reason. Apparently their basis as regarding themselves as that is because they are local and have lived here many years. Errr...that's a reason?????. Thankfully nfh is behaving themselves rather better these days (fingers crossed that will continue).

I thought nfh was a one-off but one of the voluntary organisations I work with has someone who regards herself as "in charge" for no good reason either. We are all volunteers, including her, and therefore all have an equal say. However, she regards herself as "in charge" and others tend to treat her as if she is (which rather reinforces it). There have been a couple of awkward incidents recently, when I've been doing "I can see your view is such, well my view is so and our views are to be treated exactly equally. All our views are obviously of equal validity" and reminding her that she isn't paid either and therefore cant be "in charge". With a General Election coming up I detected a sign of bias on her part and quickly destroyed it, ie as the organisation must obviously be impartial, and she didn't have the nerve to comment (as she obviously realises she shouldn't have shown partiality), but Frowns Were Exchanged:rotfl:

:rotfl:

You certainly aren't winning friends and influencing people with this attitude. It would have been polite to at least tell the farmer what you were doing. I hope you haven't made it possible for his animals to escape. :(. More seriously it's really obvious from your posts that you regret your move to Wales. It's obvious that it was only done because you had no savings and so needed the equity in your old place to buy a really cheap house in rural nowhere and leave yourself money to live off. Is it too late to cut your losses and move back? I do hate to see people unhappily retired.

Ps. I wish you'd revert to your old banned username again Ceridwen. Now that it doesn't looked like you're going to be banned this time.
    Life is too short to waste a minute of it complaining about bad luck. Find joy in the simple things, show your love for those around you and be grateful for all that you have. :)
  • Frugalista
    Frugalista Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    :rotfl:

You certainly aren't winning friends and influencing people with this attitude. It would have been polite to at least tell the farmer what you were doing. I hope you haven't made it possible for his animals to escape. :(. More seriously it's really obvious from your posts that you regret your move to Wales. It's obvious that it was only done because you had no savings and so needed the equity in your old place to buy a really cheap house in rural nowhere and leave yourself money to live off. Is it too late to cut your losses and move back? I do hate to see people unhappily retired.

Ps. I wish you'd revert to your old banned username again Ceridwen. Now that it doesn't looked like you're going to be banned this time.

I'm so glad you posted this as I'd been thinking exactly the same thing. Whilst it could be considered very "public spirited" to trim back a right of way, how sneaky, devious and vindictive is it to butcher a bush and leave it in such a condition it is now likely to cause injury - and further, hope that the farmer gets the blame for it!! :mad::mad: Sadly, this is not at all unexpected from ceridwen (change the name but not the poster):(. Nasty, nasty, nasty!!

Money, if you are as forthright and upstanding as you would like people to believe, why did you not simply approach the farmer directly and voice your concerns about the footpath honestly and openly instead of resorting to these underhand tactics??? I simply can not comprehend why any normal, decent person would act in such a vindictive, calculating manner.:(
    The farmer wont be able to miss that this has been done and I hope he will get the message that now its possible for people to get through on that footpath then some people will indeed do so. With that...he is now at risk of a health and safety claim for injury because that sloe bush could injure people who aren't rather careful how they get past it and it would be his fault for not removing the bush. Fingers crossed he will get the message and next time I'm in the vicinity I will spot that bush has gone totally.
    Recent lesson being that some people do like to "take charge" of things and be seen as the One To Go To - even if there is nothing in it for them (ie money). Obviously ego is playing a part then....

Oh! The irony!! :rotfl::rotfl:
    "Men are generally more careful of the breed(ing) of their horses and dogs than of their children" - William Penn 1644-1718
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Options
    Good grief - I am away for a few days and a troll re-appears in he form of Miss Princess Tippy Toes!

Any body can clear plants that are over hanging a public footpath - I have done it myself when a path was blocked with waist high nettles. So Money has decided to trim back a sloe bush that was blocking the path - far better that that be done than people suffering injuries from the thorns (which are quite long and very sharp - just like your tongues Tippy Toes and Frugalista). I do think that the Sloe bush should remain - it just needs to be regularly trimmed.

I have been busy doing stuff and tomorrow I am looking forward to the partial eclipse and will be making my own viewer in the form of a piece of white paper - some card with some tin foil and a pin hole through it, either that or I shall watch it using a still bucket of water.
  • Charliehasfleas
    Options
    I loved this thread. I liked how the singlies wrote about their day. I am a lurky singlie and sorry to see it go. Horace, you are the main person I followed before I went to sleep. However, friendship is showing itself up for what it is here.
    Nobody apart from you has helped MTSTM and I have looked at the troll who has used that name to upset her for a few years.
    I won't follow this thread any more lavender bees, so sorry, but where has sisterhood gone? You might have helped.
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I'm sure as a group of "virtual friends" that were not going o let trolls spoil what is a good thread,

been quiet here been hospital with dad, he goes back again in May to see the oncologist, so very positive, me back and forth for dressing changes, then back to cosultant tomorrow....

Had a shock the last couple of days with the shooting a Tunis, the country is still finding its feet after the riots a few years ago. A lady we met 2 yrs we stay in touch with, she was due to fly out on Wed, hope shes safe....

We're not due to go to May, fingers crossed be safer.....

Hope everyone ok xx
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • Byatt
    Byatt Posts: 3,496 Forumite
    edited 20 March 2015 at 1:18AM
    Options
    I am at a loss Charlie, why your first post is to condemn so many when you are completely unaware of the lives we are leading and the things that are going on in our lives... I for one am not going to get involved with upsets that revolve around someone giving their opinions. If a troll is here then make a complaint to the board guides who will deal with it.

Bloody hell, I have enough drama in my life without adding to it as a result of others, and all who are quite capable of standing up for themselves.
  • Byatt
    Byatt Posts: 3,496 Forumite
    Options
    Mum2one, I don't watch the news so haven't heard anything about Tunis...hope it settles before you go. Will the foreign office advise.

I'm very, very tired at the moment...ache a lot, partly from a fall...went sky diving in a garage ;) ...busy with work...and usual stuff with DD...nothing for mothers day, not even a home made card, and although I didn't really expect one, felt quite sad.

Nothing exciting happening, just keeping on keeping on, right now, so nothing upbeat I'm afraid.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure