Universities and the myths

Options

Comments

• studentphil
    studentphil Posts: 37,640 Forumite
    Options
    nearlyrich wrote: »
    If you mean me I have had some very tough things to deal with in my life but I haven't let them beat me, I don't want to judge you I am just trying to spur you on to live a little. It's easy to sit and cry about how unfair the world is but only YOU can make your life what you want it to be, nobody except you is responsible for your happiness, not your parents, your uni or your friends. Trust me I have a son your age and in spite of having no degree at all I have a career and a decent life due to hard work and setting goals and aspirations for myself.;)

I was not meaning you.I was meaning all these people who judge less than a first worthless when they sit there with their own first and have never had any problems ever in life and come out if you have a problem you must be a drunk.
    :beer:
  • Blacksheep1979
    Blacksheep1979 Posts: 4,224 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think that was one key element of your statement, so I think I was entitled to use it as it was. I don't know if grades are a measure of intelligence but if they are then people a lot less able than me get degrees.

bloody hell - no wonder your grades aren't up to much if you can't understand that you can't take one part of a logical statement and use it on its own completely ignoring the rest of the statement.
  • studentphil
    Options
    Sharifa wrote: »
    Bullying? Try being mixed-race growing up in the 1950s. You moan constantly. You live with your parents. You've never had to grow up, and as an alleged grown man you have no more maturity than a 14 year old. You don't understand that you alone are responsible for your life and while you wallow in self-pity, everyone else is just getting on with theirs. You are right that you are being left behind, and you choose to have it that way because it's easier to start daily threads on here than get out in the real world. No-one is going to rescue you and make it all better.

I'm wasting my time here. Now I understand why you get the reactions you do.

Sadly moaning is all I have left in life. I will not pass my degree or I will ever get a job so really all I have left in life is to be angry and to just wait to die. I have no choice as I have no opportunities in life anymore. Okay, you have had it hard and you have come far.
  • studentphil
    Options
    bloody hell - no wonder your grades aren't up to much if you can't understand that you can't take one part of a logical statement and use it on its own completely ignoring the rest of the statement.

Of course you can if they are different statements joined together which using an and or or shows that you are joining two statements.
  • Blacksheep1979
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    !!!!!! phil - look at Alan Sugar, Richard Branson etc they don't have much in the way of qualifications but had determination and will to succeed.

Yes I believe that you won't get anything out of life IF you keep wallowing in your own self pity and misery like you are now. Read (please don't post in it) the other thread about the guy with a 3rd - now there are plenty of people there that are rightly pointing out that whilst he may not be taken on with a £40k salary by a merchant bank he still has opertunities, will have to start a little further down the ladder and graft. Is it that you are scared of the work or just of failing as finally if you fail you have nobody left to blame but yourself?

On another note, if you haven't already done it get yourself to the doctors, get some antidepressants and get to counciling.
  • Need_More_Money_2
    Options
    I think that was one key element of your statement, so I think I was entitled to use it as it was. I don't know if grades are a measure of intelligence but if they are then people a lot less able than me get degrees.

But by using the assumption that grades are a measure of intelligence, if they get a degree and you don't, they are more able than you not less.
  • Blacksheep1979
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Of course you can if they are different statements joined together which using an and or or shows that you are joining two statements.

ok shows that you don't understand logic, because someone had a bad grade != they are thick, because someone had a bad grade != they didn't work hard. The two parts of the statement rely on each other.

you have to take all parts of the argument ie

you are saying 1 + 1 = 2 oh I can take the first part 1 = 2

shows that you do not (contrary to your beliefs) have a sound grasp of the subject.
  • studentphil
    Options
    I just face reality that no one will want to employ a university failure who must be a drunk and will be completely useless as an employee because they can not get a first or let alone any degree and are a drunk at any rate. You call it self pity but it is the reality of the world that no one will want to employe me as a university failure and all I have left in life is to remember when I was once successful.
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Sadly moaning is all I have left in life. I will not pass my degree or I will ever get a job so really all I have left in life is to be angry and to just wait to die. I have no choice as I have no opportunities in life anymore. Okay, you have had it hard and you have come far.

:wall: Your choice I suppose but I wonder how all the people who don't get the chance to go to uni manage to find a job :rolleyes: I understand it's more than 50% of people who leave school currently. There must be a lot of angry young people about just waiting to die:eek: fortunately I know this isn't true;)

SP you are typing complete poop here get real go and get a job any job and see what life brings instead of worrying that everyone is judging you. Most people are not even remotely interested in you or your degree grade and most employers just want someone who is willing to work and put some effort into doing a good job
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • Need_More_Money_2
    Options
    I just face reality that no one will want to employ a university failure who must be a drunk and will be completely useless as an employee because they can not get a first or let alone any degree and are a drunk at any rate. You call it self pity but it is the reality of the world that no one will want to employe me as a university failure and all I have left in life is to remember when I was once successful.

What happened to your new found happiness? (again)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure