We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Universities and the myths

Options

Comments

• kr15snw
    kr15snw Posts: 2,264 Forumite
    Options
    Phil you say you have applied for every job around, but then say that you wouldnt lower yourself to a job like a cleaner or restaurant worker.

You are contradicting yourself!! There must be jobs in shops, restaurants or bars. Or even factories, they will take anyone!

And do you know what happens in these companies? You work your way up! You start off as a waiter, then you can look at applying for restaurant managerial positions as you have great experience etc. You DO NOT NEED QUALIFICATIONS in this world.

In my industry (graphic design) there is no need to qualifications. I could fail my degree, but as long as I have a good portfolio of work (to show that I can do lots of good work) then I will get a job. They do not care about the grade, just the skills you learn.

This is the same for a lot of industries. Retail for one! You do not need any qualifications to work there, but you just have to work really hard to get where you want. You say you work hard, so there will be no problem in you getting somewhere in life.
    Green and White Barmy Army!
  • studentphil
    studentphil Posts: 37,640 Forumite
    Options
    no I have a nice job lined up in a merchant bank thank you, but you were asking after jobs that had prospectus' or should that prospecti?

So why should I have to have a rubbish job when you can have a nice job? I should aim for a nice job too.
    :beer:
  • studentphil
    Options
    Why do you always assume you'll have to stay with the same employer for life?

Because working in fast food gives you no skills for a better job so you will be stuck in that job for life.
  • Need_More_Money_2
    Options
    Because working in fast food gives you no skills for a better job so you will be stuck in that job for life.

I'm sorry phil but that is complete and utter b0ll0cks and other people have told you the same thing before
  • fairenoughclough
    Options
    I have worrked damn hard all my degree to the extent that the course reduced me to crying sometimes and I have never got stunning marks, so I think you are wrong there that you can just walk a 2:1.

You can just walk a 2:1 if you are very clever and have a good memory, however most people are not like that and in order attain that level have to work long and hard.
    Just for one moment, thought I'd found my way.
  • kr15snw
    kr15snw Posts: 2,264 Forumite
    Options
    So why should I have to have a rubbish job when you can have a nice job? I should aim for a nice job too.

Yes but you may have to get a rubbish job to tide you over until you get a decent job. Most graduates have this problem whether they pass or not
    Green and White Barmy Army!
  • studentphil
    Options
    I'm sorry phil but that is complete and utter b0ll0cks and other people have told you the same thing before

Working in fast food won't get me office experience for an ofice job, so it is not rubbish as it wont make better the weaknesses in my CV
  • studentphil
    Options
    kr15snw wrote: »
    Yes but you may have to get a rubbish job to tide you over until you get a decent job. Most graduates have this problem whether they pass or not

If other people can have top jobs then I should too. No one else aims for fast food so nor should I.
  • Need_More_Money_2
    Options
    Working in fast food won't get me office experience for an ofice job, so it is not rubbish as it wont make better the weaknesses in my CV

It will give you some people skills and shows employers a willingness to work amongst other things. But you've been told this before my several people so I'm not going to repeat it all
  • studentphil
    Options
    It will give you some people skills and shows employers a willingness to work amongst other things. But you've been told this before my several people so I'm not going to repeat it all

I have got people skills and lots of experience of working with others, so I am past the fast food job now clearly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family