We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Goals for 2014

Options

Comments

• lantanna
    lantanna Posts: 4,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    1.Continue with my self managed dmp.
    2. Join credit union and get some savings behind me.
    3. Start on the dental work that needs done.
    4. Work on my social life.
    5. Continue volunteering.
    6. Drink less alcohol. 7
    7.Do two exercise dvds a week.
    8.Continue walking frequently.
    9 Get to target weight by june.
    10. Finish all the half read novels and off to charity shop.

11 ebay all my too big clothes!!!
    12 Continue with my skin care routine throughout the year

Well today is a new day and a new start to the year for me as I am now back at work. My plans for today that include working on my goals are:

1. Just worked out money and budget for the rest of the month - under control & transferred a few £ into Isa and dental account
    6. No alcohol today - was aiming for a dry January but think this is too unrealistic and will go with only allowing my alcohol at the weekends
    7 & 9 - Do an exercise DVD tonight and go to Slimming World class.

I also have an exam in 3 weeks and so would like to squeeze in a couple of hours revision today too.

I'll be happy to complete these today. The Social life & ebay I am going to commence in February after my exam.
  • Sabbathdei
    Sabbathdei Posts: 294 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    A quick update on my goals, I've started my Xmas Fund with this week's tenner; and after me sla**ing off the lotto I won £73 last night ! I've quickly moved it to my savings account so I don't get tempted to blow it.
    And not a single sweetie has passed my lips so far this year !! ;)
    "Can't you have your ***** cut off ?" "It's not as simple as that, Nigel"
    :j
  • vics199
    vics199 Posts: 135 Forumite
    Options
    Diet Coke tips for you NYD and whoever else is interested!

1) I looked at how much I drank (usually one can sized glass a day, 2 a day at weekend) and then decided to start by halfing that so tried to have it every other day and one glass a day at the weekends for a few weeks. Then I went down to only allowing myself to have it at weekends.

2) I realised the main reasons for drinking it which for me were having something nice to drink whilst watching tv and generally just having something to drink when watching tv/a film. I found that I don't drink it any other time. I then replaced it with something else that I like eg weightwatchers mint hot chocolate which also helps the sweet cravings, or a cup of tea (no sugar) or nice squash eg I like Robinsons lemon squash. I'd make myself have one of these options instead. The diet hot choc idea is the best if you also are craving something sweet after dinner like I often do.

3) Once you have really weaned yourself down to the occasional glass or 2 at the weekend, refuse to pay more than £1 for a bottle of diet coke/pepsi max. This I found works well. If it is often on offer for £1 then it can't be worth the money full price. I found myself wandering into the fizzy drinks aisle a few weeks ago but luckily it wasn't on offer, so I walked away empty handed. I don't live right by a supermarket either and know that it is never on offer in the convenience store so won't even bother going round to look.

4) Don't keep it in the house. Only ever buy it if you really really want it and it is £1, then its more like an occasional treat.

5) Shop at Aldi where they don't sell it for £1! I find there is also so much less temptation in general shopping here than at big supermarkets where chocolate etc is on offer at the end of all the aisles!

6) Start taking extra care of your teeth with daily TePes, floss, interdental brushing etc etc and you will find you want to look after them better anyway!

So this all helped for me, hope it helps you all in some way!
  • sugartree
    sugartree Posts: 95 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good Evening everybody, glad to see results 2 days in.
    "I don't want to overdo myself with lots of goals, so I'm starting reasonable small.

1, Make an overpayment of £1.5k on the mortgage
    2, Decorate & tile my bathroom, bedroom and DS's Bedroom......(and potty train and get him into a big boys bed!)
    3, replace guttering
    4, Declutter (ongoing with 2 kids!)

On a personal level;

5, Get a better camera (saving up swagbucks, surveys etc for this) and get more involved with photography
    6, Finally have a family holiday even if it's just 4 days on a Sun Deal
    7, continue walking through and visiting the local country side.
    8, Volunteer, even if it's not regular......

Well so far for me, I did de-clutter the medicine cupboard. (no.4) At least it's start.

But we did decide on a spur of the moment to jump into the car and take an hours drive to the beach and had a long walk (no.7) along the promenade with the old camera. Kids got some lovely fresh sea air, we ate chips and took some pics. I was quite pleased with a couple of scenic ones as I usually take the pics in the summer. Being totally novice my lesson for today is the Winter Sun is more beautiful through a lens (no.5).

It was a cheap day, healthy, productive and proactive. Ready for work tomorrow.
    Oh I do want to live in Countryside.......with the kids, pets and LOTS of books.........
    £2020 in 2020 challenge #90 - £274.37/£2020
    2020 penny challenge

• danielleb1989
    danielleb1989 Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 2 January 2014 at 11:41PM
    Options
    Hi All,

This is my first post so be nice :) although I have been a lurker for a while and have brought my debt right down!
    So here are my goals for 2014:
    Pay off my overdraft and cc (around £800)
    Save £6000 towards a deposit for a house (this will be a tough one!):eek:
    Graduate
    Complete online Teaching Assistant course
    Start Volunteering
    Change jobs

I was thinking about breaking the goals up into monthly targets and weekly lists in order to achieve them.:)

I have also laminated my goals for my comp screen in work to keep me focussed (lets hope this helps!)
    Goals for 2014:
    Pay off my overdraft and cc (£500/£800),Save £6000 towards a deposit for a house (£350/£6,000), Graduate, Complete online Teaching Assistant course and Start Volunteering (started Thursday 16th Jan)
    Change jobs
  • The_Green_Lady
    Options

I have also laminated my goals for my comp screen in work to keep me focussed (lets hope this helps!)

What a great idea, I am going to try to do that!
    DFD - 26th March 2014 :j
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I. Am. Drunk.

I have achieved nothing else today.

Dxxx
  • miss_empty_piggy
    miss_empty_piggy Posts: 721 Forumite
    First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 17 January 2022 at 1:05PM
    Options
    I. Am. Drunk.

I have achieved nothing else today.

Dxxx

Oh my god Dolly Rocker - I am crying with laughter at your post!!!

I think that is an achievement worthy of note definitley. Brilliant. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

can I please join you all???

Goals for 2014 - in no particular order of importance except a).

a) Pay the congestion charge DOH has just informed me of!
    b) Lose at least 2 stone in weight (am also fat and poor)
    c) SORT garden - grow stuff in it
    d) Decorate living room
    e) Not buy brand-new things for gorgeous newly decorated living room
    f) Re-upholster old sofa bed in living room so looks lovely and new
    g) Not lose job
    h) Ebay at least 10 items a month
    i) Get at least £100.00 extra income a month somehow
    j) Spend more quality time with people who matter

Happy New Year everyone (I am not drunk - unfortunately).
  • motivated
    motivated Posts: 3,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Hi all Hope everyone is doing well with goals
    So far today I have
    cleaned all kitchen cupboards out (found things i didn't even know I had)
    Put 3 days no smoking money into savings for monthly direct debits (extra payments)
    Cleared out and tidied cupboard under the stairs WOW it was like going into the unknown.
    Still focused on diet. I have to be strong as I am not smoking.

Hope this new me stays and the old one gone
    Emptying my lake with a teaspoon
  • kickuptheasstime
    Options
    motivated wrote: »
    Hi all Hope everyone is doing well with goals
    So far today I have
    cleaned all kitchen cupboards out (found things i didn't even know I had)
    Put 3 days no smoking money into savings for monthly direct debits (extra payments)
    Cleared out and tidied cupboard under the stairs WOW it was like going into the unknown.
    Still focused on diet. I have to be strong as I am not smoking.

Hope this new me stays and the old one gone

Sounds like you're doing great!! Keep it up!! x
    Xmas 2016 #67 £0/£365
    LBM £29,598 :shocked: (29.05.15) DFD June 2021
    29.12.15 - B/card 1 £6813 B/card 2 £3575 Virgin CC £13658 Loan £5842 Next £0 OD £200
    20.06.15 - B/card 1 £4139 B/card 2 £4025 Virgin CC £13100 Loan £7303 Next £58 OD £200
    Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5256548
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport