Which console PS4 or Xbox One?

Options

Comments

• duggan1
    duggan1 Posts: 505 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    rinaric15 wrote: »
    hi, the PS4 is a GAME SYSTEM it is made primarily for games. if successful Sony will stop making games for the PS3 and focus on PS4.

It's not only Sony that makes games for the PS3. The last worldwide release for PS2 was Fifa 14, 7 years after the release of PS3.

the Xbox One is an all in one system (hence the name :) ) it is made to replace everything from your DVD to your WII. even if successful the Xbox 360 will still have games being made.
    It's not that much different from a 360. Kinect is a part of it because it is the only way to ensure developers consider it when designing games.

the main difference is the price, it is 100 euro cheaper for a PS4 than a Xbox 1. also online is free on a PS4 not on the Xbox 1. you do have to sign in once a day (or once when you get the console, info changes) to the internet to make sure you are registered and that costs money from what i know.
    You have to pay for online on PS4, same as Xbox live.

also the CIA can spy on you from the cam in the kinect set, unlikely but we nevr though tthey were stealing are messages either. (read 1984, cliff notes or wiki page haha and you will see what i mean.)
    I'm sure the CIA have better things to do.

personally i would prefer the PS4 (although as usual Xbox is making better games but not as many,) mainly for the price difference.

bottom line if you want a game system go for the PS4 if you want a system to replace everything in your house with one nifty little machine go Xbox 1. hope this helps.

I'd say go with what console has the games you want to play, or even better wait it out for some good offers. They're both excellent machines.
  • vyle
    vyle Posts: 2,379 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you don't know what console you want, look at its games lineup. If one takes your fancy over the other, get it. If none of the games take your fancy, then don't get a console until they do. It really is as simple as that. If you like the look of both and can't decide, then save up your pennies and buy both. You're not picking sides in a team, or allying yourself with anybody. You're not making a big cultural choice, so don't try to find the console that "defines you" as fanboys do. Go for the games that exist, not the ones you hope might in a few years, and you won't go wrong.
  • iwb100
    iwb100 Posts: 614 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    rinaric15 wrote: »
    hi, the PS4 is a GAME SYSTEM it is made primarily for games. if successful Sony will stop making games for the PS3 and focus on PS4.

the Xbox One is an all in one system (hence the name :) ) it is made to replace everything from your DVD to your WII. even if successful the Xbox 360 will still have games being made.

the main difference is the price, it is 100 euro cheaper for a PS4 than a Xbox 1. also online is free on a PS4 not on the Xbox 1. you do have to sign in once a day (or once when you get the console, info changes) to the internet to make sure you are registered and that costs money from what i know. also the CIA can spy on you from the cam in the kinect set, unlikely but we nevr though tthey were stealing are messages either. (read 1984, cliff notes or wiki page haha and you will see what i mean.)

personally i would prefer the PS4 (although as usual Xbox is making better games but not as many,) mainly for the price difference.

bottom line if you want a game system go for the PS4 if you want a system to replace everything in your house with one nifty little machine go Xbox 1. hope this helps.

An awful lot in this post is incorrect.

Most of the Kinect data never leaves your Xbox One so can't be taken or spied on by anyone! Limited amounts are shared over the internet (such as when you do a bing search by voice) and although that data technically could be used in the same way as ANY data you share over the internet by secret services it is protected in the same way. It is the same as having a facebook.

You do not need to "sign in" on the Xbox One once a day. You need to download an initial update then you are set and never need connect it to the internet again although the PS4 and Xbox One are both seriously impacted if you don't have them connected to your broadband. Almost all the features require internet connection on both. Also, connecting the Xbox One to the internet is free. Both PS4 and Xbox One require a monthly fee to play online games.

As for continued PS3/360 support that is just gobbledegook. Both systems will be supported until the PS4/Xbox One have sold in sufficient numbers for the older systems to be retired completely. That will be a number of years away yet. Possibly not until the next set of consoles come out......
  • tbrooks
    Options
    Xbox One as I feel that its more than just a gaming console. I expect it to become my home theater and I won't need anything else, maybe just Netflix.
  • Kokuei
    Kokuei Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I currently have an Xbox 360 and will be buying a PS4 for this generation. This will be the first generation where I haven't got something on launch (I am a bit of an addict), as the line ups for both aren't spectacular. I consider myself unbiased as I've bounced between many consoles (my Gamecube is currently sitting snugly next to said 360).

The Xbox One doesn't have any exclusives I want and is going for more a home entertainment system. If this is what you want then I would say get that, the PS3 did the same thing last generation and people got a good blu-ray player out of it.

For games I can't help but feel that the PS4 will do a little better, but my reasons for thinking that are mainly due to E3 which was a while ago. Microsoft seems to like telling people what they want and are very rigid on access to content, not something I'm interested in.
  • MercilessKiller
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Well, as a teccie, gadget freak, and gamer, I definitely prefer the Xbox One. Firstly, I took advantage of an erroneous discount code to get it at the same price as the PS4 - Had that not worked, I would have waited for the price to lower but still go for the XBone over the PS4? Why? Well, its simple:

PS4 - Great for gaming but only gaming. 100% of the price is for gaming.
    Xbox One - Great for gaming, great for home entertainment too, great for other features (detailed below)

So if you think about value for money.. for around £350 for the PS4, you have spent £350 on a gaming machine.

Now for the Xbox One which you can get at £400, you're getting better value for money due to the other features IF you would tend to use them. I'm sure most of you know what these are but an idiots guide includes:
    1) Kinect for voice + motion gesture - Motion gesture is new yes, but the voice control is REALLY good. It's smooth and works painlessly for me. I haven't picked up my TV remote since I got my Xbox because "Xbox On" turns on the console AND the TV as well (that's a cool feature!). I can then tell it to go to netflix and play something, or to skype video call someone, in just a couple of voice commands. It's REALLY cool, and it's a show off gadget that everyone seems impressed with when they visit :p
    2) Skype/Netflix - Going from point 1, the voice compatibility with Skype and Netflix makes this thing SO cool... Seeing as I use both a lot, this makes it easier
    3) Gaming - Obvious. Now, people state the PS4 gfx far outweigh the Xbox Ones. That's not true. You'll hear quotes from developers saying it's harder to develop for the Xbox One,but you're not paying for a platform based on whether it makes developers lives a little harder - they will build games for both that work beautifully for both. Yes, in 6 years time the PS4 may be able to get a little more out of games, but that's not important to me now. Or for 6 years.
    4) Multi-tasking - Being able to play a game, flip to IE/Skype or to pin an app on the right side of the screen while continuing to play the game is super cool. OK, more apps need to be developed to take use of this feature, but it's cool to have something innovative and this definitely is!
    5) HDMI IN - More to come soon on this but having Virgin Media/Sky passing through the Xbox is very cool as well, and there will be a lot more features related to this when the update is released in Q1/Q2.

Now some people will flame some of the above features (please don't)... It's subjective. I personally like those features a lot. I love the console, I love kinect (and use it daily), and I don't regret my purchase.

But if you want to save £££ and just want a gaming console, you can't go wrong with the PS4 - It's not a budget option, it's a "pure gaming" option.

Hope that helps peeps!
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
    - Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
    [/FONT]
  • oliviabatty
    Options
    anyone else watches annoyed gamer???

I have been following him from the start and really love some of the questions this guy raises. Few weeks ago he shared his views about next gen consoles and they convinced me not to buy any console and stick with PC gaming :)

check it out - Not Buying into Next-Gen

gametrailers.com/videos/hqul8w/annoyed-gamer-not-buying-into-next-gen
    You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift. You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    MercilessKiller I like your view on the XboxOne.
  • adamc260
    adamc260 Posts: 2,055 Forumite
    edited 24 January 2014 at 11:31PM
    Options
    I purchased an Xbox One for a couple of reasons compared to the PS4 and i'm pleased with my choice

1) Xbox Live is a very mature online system that despite a 'minor' cost works very well, it also has 300,000 servers vs the 70,000 ish that Sony have. Xbox in my opinion really started 'online console gaming' for the masses.
    2) I like the thought of Kinect for fitness games etc, being able to walk in a room and say 'Xbox On' whilst i'm walking up to my seat is cool too
    3) Even though the Ps4 is 'technically' more powerful, last generation could you see a graphical difference? Nope... Multi Plat developers do not put extra effort into one platform when they sell it for the same price (Although yes, FPS may be a bit higher).
    4) I like the UI and integration that Xbox has with my windows computer and tablet etc
    5) Multi tasking features on the Xbox One are very cool
    6) Online Cloud features and integration with games. Forza 5 for example pulls it's AI from the cloud and tailors it based on real drivers habits for a more 'lifelike' experience rather than cars just following each other like a train. Given that we're at the very start of the console life cycle stuff like that can only get more impressive as we go along.

I'm not a fan boy by any means, I've owned a PS1, PS2, PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, N64, Gamecube, Wii and Wii U in my time... This time round though the xbox is the more appealing choice for me, if people on online forums want to slate me for my choice that's up to them.

There's a few things that annoy me about people completely bashing the xbox though, they moan about Kinect and laugh at 'voice controls' but sony are implementing a similar thing which no doubt those people will rave about. That's the sad thing about fanboyism, unless you have shares in a company... pick whichever you enjoy the most rather than being a keyboard warrior that slates anyone who picks something you didn't.
  • vyle
    vyle Posts: 2,379 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    adamc260 wrote: »
    I purchased an Xbox One for a couple of reasons compared to the PS4 and i'm pleased with my choice

1) Xbox Live is a very mature online system that despite a 'minor' cost works very well, it also has 300,000 servers vs the 70,000 ish that Sony have. Xbox in my opinion really started 'online console gaming' for the masses.
    2) I like the thought of Kinect for fitness games etc, being able to walk in a room and say 'Xbox On' whilst i'm walking up to my seat is cool too
    3) Even though the Ps4 is 'technically' more powerful, last generation could you see a graphical difference? Nope... Multi Plat developers do not put extra effort into one platform when they sell it for the same price (Although yes, FPS may be a bit higher).
    4) I like the UI and integration that Xbox has with my windows computer and tablet etc
    5) Multi tasking features on the Xbox One are very cool
    6) Online Cloud features and integration with games. Forza 5 for example pulls it's AI from the cloud and tailors it based on real drivers habits for a more 'lifelike' experience rather than cars just following each other like a train. Given that we're at the very start of the console life cycle stuff like that can only get more impressive as we go along.

I'm not a fan boy by any means, I've owned a PS1, PS2, PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, N64, Gamecube, Wii and Wii U in my time... This time round though the xbox is the more appealing choice for me, if people on online forums want to slate me for my choice that's up to them.

There's a few things that annoy me about people completely bashing the xbox though, they moan about Kinect and laugh at 'voice controls' but sony are implementing a similar thing which no doubt those people will rave about. That's the sad thing about fanboyism, unless you have shares in a company... pick whichever you enjoy the most rather than being a keyboard warrior that slates anyone who picks something you didn't.

I do see that you've not mentioned the games at all. It's great if you love kinect (which you HAVE to buy with the xbox one, while you have a choice at least with the ps4). I for one would never use kinect (I hate motion controls, and the new one has not shown itself to be any better than the pure !!!!! of the previous one). I don't want to talk to my console. If I want to multi-task, i'll just have my laptop next to me.

Regarding point 3, you're right, there was very little difference last gen. PS3, for all its power, used a proprietary processor, was a nightmare to work with, and couldn't antialias, while the 360 could. With the consoles sharing architecture now, it would, in theory, be a lot easier for them to simply use higher res textures, or bump up the frame rate for one console over the other rather than make the game twice from scratch.

But the processing power and non-gaming features don't matter if there are no games that make the purchase worthwhile. If I wasn't so apt to get my indie games off of steam, the PS4's wealth of indie devs would be a huge factor in deciding my purchase, as will the fact that evil DRM wasn't planned from the off, while MS wanted to do it, and could easily re-implement it.

Yet even then, if the Xbone had more games that appealed to me, surely that's the most important factor? Yes, you can talk to it, but wouldn't you rather have a games console with good games, than a jack of all trades media centre that excels at no one thing?

That's just my take on it. Too many people bought wiis and didn't buy any good games, then complained they didn't play it. it's mind boggling when people buy consoles for the features rather than the software. Currently, the exclusive lineup for the xbone would, for me, be a more enticing proposition than the ps4, but neither of them have anything worth buying yet.

For those of you who have purchased a (now current gen) console, what GAMES did you buy it for? Are they out yet?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure