Which console PS4 or Xbox One?

Options

Comments

• lee111s
    lee111s Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I've just bought an xbox one yesterday. Has a 360 when the first came out but switched to PS3 about 4 years ago.

I played on a PS4 and while it looks nice it just felt like a beefed up ps3 whereas the xbox one seems to be a genuine next gen console!
  • Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd go with the PS4 personally (No fanboy here, as although i had the PS3 and 360 for years 360 was where most of my gaming was)

PS4 has superior graphics chip and RAM, as well as Bluetooth support. Better hardware for less price.

Ps1 and 2 were epic consoles. PS3 struggled more because it was late to the game with the 360 and lacked cross gaming chat. PS4 doesn't have these problems though.

Both consoles might be similar at the moment, but later down the line when consoles games become more demanding, they should play smoother on the PS4 with the slightly better hardware.

I'd only consider an Xbox One for exclusives.
    All your base are belong to us.
  • duggan1
    duggan1 Posts: 505 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    lee111s wrote: »
    I've just bought an xbox one yesterday. Has a 360 when the first came out but switched to PS3 about 4 years ago.

I played on a PS4 and while it looks nice it just felt like a beefed up ps3 whereas the xbox one seems to be a genuine next gen console!

Agree about the PS4 but don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. Xbox one though is outstanding I think, for all the little extras and fancy things which aren't necessarily 'useful' or related to gaming, I just think it's a bit of a geeks paradise and may consider getting one when the bundle deals become too good to pass up.

Someone also mentioned about the better specs on the PS4.. this is true but there is more to performance than simple numbers. I wouldn't expect to see much difference between either console to be honest, if not simply because games tend to be developed on PCs running Intel/Nvidia hardware and then ported onto console hardware.
  • Monkeyballs
    Monkeyballs Posts: 1,935 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'll be getting a PS4 at somepoint next year but not until there is a better range of games (and I can find one in the shops without having to buy a bundle of stuff I don't want).

Until then I'm sticking to my PS3 which I got back when it first came out (60gb with PS2 backward compatability) which is a great machine, easy on the eye and a great bluray player to boot! Plus there's thousands of games I've never even heard of let alone played LOL

From the people I've spoken to PS4 owners seem to be more content with their purchases...

MB
  • red_eye
    red_eye Posts: 1,211 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The title says it all, which would you want? I know that PS4 is cheaper, but is it a false economy?
    none, wait for steam box or get a pc and enjoy cheap games, free online play and better graphics:D
  • red_eye
    red_eye Posts: 1,211 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Retrogamer wrote: »
    I'd go with the PS4 personally (No fanboy here, as although i had the PS3 and 360 for years 360 was where most of my gaming was)

PS4 has superior graphics chip and RAM, as well as Bluetooth support. Better hardware for less price.

Ps1 and 2 were epic consoles. PS3 struggled more because it was late to the game with the 360 and lacked cross gaming chat. PS4 doesn't have these problems though.

Both consoles might be similar at the moment, but later down the line when consoles games become more demanding, they should play smoother on the PS4 with the slightly better hardware.

I'd only consider an Xbox One for exclusives.
    How has ps4 got better graphics then xbone? when they both have modified versions of the same APU made by AMD? and ps4 has faster gddr5 memory than xbones ddr3 but both are shared, ps4 is more system biased and xbox has less system leaving more for developers to play with. I would say they are both close to being the same it would be unnoticeable.

ps3 owners buying ps4 will see the biggest performance increase ever now that sony have ditch the cell cpu:D
  • Retrogamer
    Options
    red_eye wrote: »
    How has ps4 got better graphics then xbone?

Not better graphics, but a more capable GPU, so potentially and likely better graphics...time will tell
    Again, by virtue of being an AMD APU, the Xbox One and PS4 GPUs are technologically very similar — with the simple difference that the PS4 GPU is larger. In PC terms, the Xbox One has a GPU that’s similar to the (entry-level) Bonaire GPU in the Radeon HD 7790, while the PS4 is outfitted with the (mid-range) Pitcairn that can be found in the HD 7870. In numerical terms, the Xbox One GPU has 12 compute units (768 shader processors), while the PS4 has 18 CUs (1152 shaders). The Xbox One is slightly ahead on GPU clock speed (853MHz vs. 800MHz for the PS4).

In short, the PS4′s GPU is — on paper — 50% more powerful than the Xbox One. The Xbox One’s slightly higher GPU clock speed might ameliorate some of the difference, but really, the PS4′s 50% higher CU count is a serious advantage for the Sony camp. Furthermore, Microsoft says that 10% of the Xbox One’s GPU is reserved for Kinect. Games on the PS4 will have a lot more available graphics power on tap.

Source
  • techno12
    techno12 Posts: 722 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 3 January 2014 at 2:53AM
    Options
    red_eye wrote: »
    How has ps4 got better graphics then xbone? when they both have modified versions of the same APU made by AMD?

You obviously don't read the DigitalFoundry comparisons, or have heard of "resolutiongate", where some current cross-platform titles run at 720p on XBox One but the full 1080p on PS4. That's quite a difference and very noticeable.

Here's a quote from their Assassins Creed 4 comparison.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-assassins-creed-4-next-gen-face-off

"With the next generation consoles we have the level of stability required to let the gameplay breathe without hardware limitations getting in the way. This is perfectly demonstrated on the PS4 after the release day patch has been installed: 1080p visuals allow the intricate artwork to shine, while the rock solid 30fps update means that control is never disrupted outside of the game's somewhat erratic animation blending system and automated climbing mechanics. The Xbox One version unfortunately has a harder time delivering the same accomplishments, due to the lower 900p resolution and sharpening filter giving the game a much rougher look. The appearance of frame-rate drops in some scenes is also disappointing, considering the 30fps target and sub-native visuals, but on the plus side these issues were a fairly rare occurrence during our capture session, outside of isolated experiences."

So, the XBox One version has a lower-res display, and a inconsistent, jerky framerate...not quite the next-gen experience we were hoping for.
  • StuC75
    StuC75 Posts: 2,065 Forumite
    Options
    Its likely to be the 'next phase' of games for each console that will really show the real capabilities of each system. Launch titles are not really going to make the most of this.

Whilst the differences in resolution can be apparent in freezed frames, I would always go by playability and online gaming experience..

More likely a case of seeing which system develops a major crash first. This might affect confidence more...

techno12 wrote: »
    You obviously don't read the DigitalFoundry comparisons, or have heard of "resolutiongate", where some current cross-platform titles run at 720p on XBox One but the full 1080p on PS4. That's quite a difference and very noticeable.

Here's a quote from their Assassins Creed 4 comparison.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-assassins-creed-4-next-gen-face-off

"With the next generation consoles we have the level of stability required to let the gameplay breathe without hardware limitations getting in the way. This is perfectly demonstrated on the PS4 after the release day patch has been installed: 1080p visuals allow the intricate artwork to shine, while the rock solid 30fps update means that control is never disrupted outside of the game's somewhat erratic animation blending system and automated climbing mechanics. The Xbox One version unfortunately has a harder time delivering the same accomplishments, due to the lower 900p resolution and sharpening filter giving the game a much rougher look. The appearance of frame-rate drops in some scenes is also disappointing, considering the 30fps target and sub-native visuals, but on the plus side these issues were a fairly rare occurrence during our capture session, outside of isolated experiences."

So, the XBox One version has a lower-res display, and a inconsistent, jerky framerate...not quite the next-gen experience we were hoping for.
  • Retrogamer
    Options
    The PS4 comes with Bluetooth, more capable gpu, faster ram and is in short a better hardware bundle for less money.

The only thing i'd miss about the Xbox One would be the control pad and exclusives.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport