Which console PS4 or Xbox One?

Options
The title says it all, which would you want? I know that PS4 is cheaper, but is it a false economy?

Comments

• Al1x
    Al1x Posts: 1,653 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We've gone for the PS4. tbh I don't want all the extra stuff the xbox one has, all we want is something to game on and watch lovefilm.
  • GhostWarrior
    Options
    I don't like Microsoft's pay wall, or their insistence that they know what consumers want when consumers tell them otherwise. Despite backtracking on the always on connection, the blocking of used games and the need for kinect, they're adamant that they were making the right decision but "consumers aren't ready for it". Their arrogance annoys me so I'll be giving my money to Sony for the first time since the PSone ;)

If I need to be less biased, I'd say that the only advantage MS has over Sony at the moment is the games line up, and the user interface. However, Sony has a lot of independent titles which are apparently amazing - I haven't tried them myself but a friend has ditched his PS3 to play a few of them. Sony can, and will, also update the user interface and add more features as time goes on. I think the issue here is that Microsoft already had its tile interface ready to roll whereas Sony have always been the type to make incremental changes. It's not a huge problem anyway, if you're turning the console on for a reason you already know what you want to do and won't spend more than 30 seconds selecting it.

Either way, I'll be waiting until next year. I don't get much time to play video games these days and my girlfriend wants to buy one together 'in the sales' lol... I doubt they'll fall much so I'm hoping I can convince her to wait until closer to my birthday haha
  • StuC75
    StuC75 Posts: 2,065 Forumite
    Options
    a post guaranteed to bring in the bashers & fanboys, unbiased views will be non existent..

Which console depends upon your gaming background, many prefer to stick to familiar environment, and what you want from a gaming machine..

If you only play offline then no difference,, Yes you pay for xbox live but that has dedicated servers and is more polished.. Yes PSN have a free and subscription model, which you can guess where psn want people to go..

Background wise - I have the xbox 360(well 2), a ps3 not used since ps network got hacked and a xbox one.
  • ifstar
    ifstar Posts: 487 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There are lot's of games that will be available on both systems and there will be a few that will only be available or one or the other. At the moment, there is only a few exclusives and none that are guaranteed to make you pic one over the other.

The PS4 has a higher spec however to the naked eye, both look just about the same as each other. It might well come into play further down the line but both will have their own tricks to squeeze the most out of each system. It will probably take a good few years before we start to see what they are really capable of and it will improve all through the life of it - the best looking games for the 360 and PS3 all arrived in the last few years.

See what your friends are getting and decide from there. Both will have an online subscription service however you can get xbox live codes much cheaper online (£26) and I'd imagine PS+ will be the same. Personally I've always disliked the stick layout on the PS so much prefer the xbox controller.
  • grahamgoo
    Options
    It probably won't be very scientific, but the gadget show is doing a comparison in tonight's episode.
  • Pitchshifter
    Options
    If I wanted a console I'd buy a PS4. It's a slightly more powerful system than the xbox (they are very similar computers actually) and more reasonably priced.
    The Kinect is a gimmick that many people don't need or want but is included in the price of the xbox whether you want it or not.

Anyway the last console I bought was the original Playstation.
    PC gaming all the way for me! The system I built over a year ago is more powerful than both these "next gen" consoles. :rotfl:
  • RichL74
    RichL74 Posts: 938 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Easy. Both.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 January 2014 at 10:09PM
    Options
    Its all down to personal choice, I still am no closer to deciding which 1 I prefer, i know the kinect thing wont be something to sway me, what would sway me are the games and which console everyone I know has.
  • criboo
    criboo Posts: 104 Forumite
    Options
    I'm personally getting a PS4, though both look like great consoles and it was hard to choose, in the end my rationale was that the PS4 is technically more powerful, and while that might not matter a year down the line, it will never be a disadvantage. Secondly, the £80 less is almost enough to buy an extra controller and a game, which I think has more immediate benefit than Kinnect, which I feel has a very uncertain future.

I'd also note that a lot of the features American journalists talk about on the Xbox are not currently applicable to the UK, for instance, you can't connect your Xbox to your Sky Box or Virgin media thingy.
  • AlecEiffel
    Options
    The system I built over a year ago is more powerful than both these "next gen" consoles. :rotfl:
    The thing for me is if I get a console I KNOW it will run any game I get for it for the next x years with no upgrade required. I could throw a heap of money at a PC now to future proof it, or incrementally upgrade over the years to keep it relevant, both of which will cost more than the new consoles, or I could find myself having to choose lower settings for new games as the years go by. Mind you I won't get to bang on about my "rig" like those PC elitist jerks do. Just kidding! Software on PC is cheaper though and the mod scene looks tasty.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure