We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

In this situation would you have said something (as I did) or keep quiet?

Options

Comments

• Tiddlywinks
    Options
    meritaten wrote: »
    I wouldn't have let them invite themselves for weekend for one. if they can arrange a weekend off why couldn't they do that for the little ones birthday party?
    but, I think this cousin is taking the Micheal!

Er, because when you work for someone else, sometimes you have to be accommodating.

Maybe, just maybe, he couldn't get that weekend after all... colleague sickness for instance?

For goodness sake, it was a child's birthday... not an audience with the queen.
    :hello:
  • Tyler_Du
    Options
    KiKi wrote: »
    "I was invited to my cousin's daughter's two year old birthday party last week. Unfortunately at the last minute my husband had to work, so I called them to let them know we wouldn't be able to come. I felt really bad, but there was nothing we could do - and it was a 3 hour drive away which I would have had to do on my own.

They always make such an effort when they see us, so I knew they would be disappointed, so we suggested we meet the following weekend. Because we were the ones who cancelled, I suggested we go to theirs to minimise disruption for them.

When we arrived, they sat us down and told us how upset they were with us, and how much we has p*ssed them off. I was shocked, as they hadn't said anything at the time. I didn't say anything, then, as it was a bit of a shock, and I didn't want to ruin the weekend for the kids.

When I got home I was really upset - we couldn't go to the party, and we made such an effort to make up for it. What more were we supposed to do? I don't understand why they're so p*ssed off with us. They chose to buy my husband some gluten-free food for when we were there, but I can't believe that that's the reason they're annoyed, surely? Because they bought gluten-free food on the weekend of the party which they then didn't use? Really?"

OP, there's more to life than gluten-free food. Apologise to them and make friends again and value the family you have; anything could happen tomorrow and such silly pettiness isn't worth your family.

KiKi

I completely agree with your last statement, but please don't put words in my mouth, I never once used the phrase p*ssed off.
  • Tiddlywinks
    Options
    Initially I didn't want them to come but agreed with my wife that they could as long as we let them know how much they had pee'd us off.
    I completely agree with your last statement, but please don't put words in my mouth, I never once used the phrase p*ssed off.

Sheesh, talk about semantics...
    :hello:
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It was a party for a 2 year old and they are 3 hours away. He might not have had a choice/chance to say No to overtime, no matter how much notice you gave in advance.

So you spent a few quid on special food for them, which was your choice and could probably have been frozen until they did visit.

I can't BELIEVE you brought it up ..... all seems a bit strange.

It's a 2 year old kid's birthday party .... I've a photo of mine and it was 5 kids round a table eating sandwiches and biscuits with some orange squash.

It's not a major event .... I can't believe how Parentzilla you got about this!!
  • *max*
    *max* Posts: 3,208 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Unbelievable. Those poor people let you know they couldn't make it to your child's 2nd birthday party (ie: not exactly the unveiling of the secret to the universe), then said they would come and see you the next weekend instead, for which they have to drive 3 hours with their own child.

You stew in your pathetic resentment for a week, planning to "teach them a lesson" when they get here - and you actually do! How incredibly awkward to you think they felt? Being told off like children after driving 3 hours and giving up their time and money to see you?

You owe them a massive apology for behaving like a rude control freak. To be honest, if it was me you'd done this to, I wouldn't want to have anything to do with you in a hurry.
  • KiKi
    KiKi Posts: 5,377 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options

You used the term "pee'd off". To me, that means "p*ssed off". :)
    ' <-- See that? It's called an apostrophe. It does not mean "hey, look out, here comes an S".
  • mountainofdebt
    Options
    sorry but if you did that to me then you'd be relegated to the christmas card list.

If they're a 3hr drive away then I'm assuming that they are a good 100 miles away. Now to even entertain the idea of travelling 100 miles it has to be a good reason and the fact that they were prepared to do it,but ultimately couldn't must mean they thought alot of you.

But if you had spoken to me like that after I had traveled 100 miles you could whistle for any future visits until you'd apologised.
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    But - wouldn't you all have turned round and gone back home? if they felt offended why stay? why not say 'scuse me but - it couldn't be helped and we came THIS weekend?' why say nothing and then text you were offended?
  • *max*
    *max* Posts: 3,208 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Actually, I don't even know how they found the inner strength to stay the day and pretend to enjoy it. I'd have gathered my things and left on the spot, no matter how far I'd have to drive back.

Then you'd be off my social calendar until I received a grovelling apology.

I'm gobsmacked.
  • emsywoo123
    emsywoo123 Posts: 5,440 Forumite
    Options
    meritaten wrote: »
    But - wouldn't you all have turned round and gone back home? if they felt offended why stay? why not say 'scuse me but - it couldn't be helped and we came THIS weekend?' why say nothing and then text you were offended?

The children might have been playing, or they were shocked, or maybe both the cousin and partner were upset but didn't get a chance to speak to one another til later.

Everyone reacts differently in that circumstance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport