We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

In this situation would you have said something (as I did) or keep quiet?

Options

Comments

• emsywoo123
    emsywoo123 Posts: 5,440 Forumite
    Options
    *max* wrote: »
    Actually, I don't even know how they found the inner strength to stay the day and pretend to enjoy it. I'd have gathered my things and left on the spot, no matter how far I'd have to drive back.

Then you'd be off my social calendar until I received a grovelling apology.

I'm gobsmacked.

What I like about MSE is that it teaches me that
    A) things are not all that bad for me
    B) my friends/family are crazy but not off the scale
    C) I'll never really understand people.
  • KiKi
    KiKi Posts: 5,377 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    meritaten wrote: »
    But - wouldn't you all have turned round and gone back home? if they felt offended why stay? why not say 'scuse me but - it couldn't be helped and we came THIS weekend?' why say nothing and then text you were offended?

Sometimes you're so taken aback you take a while to process things. Plus, you've driven 100 miles and you want the kids to have a good time. Or, you've reflected on it afterwards and realised you are upset.

We've all had things happen that have riled us but stuck it out for the sake of the kids / a happy family etc, or where it's only when we've stopped and thought about it that we've realised that wasn't okay.

(The OP took a WEEK to tell his cousin that they were cross with them, even though they were immediately annoyed.)
    ' <-- See that? It's called an apostrophe. It does not mean "hey, look out, here comes an S".
  • Dunroamin
    Dunroamin Posts: 16,908 Forumite
    Options
    Do people always invite loads of adults to a children's party and, if so, why?
  • goonarmy
    goonarmy Posts: 1,006 Forumite
    Options
    We didn't let them visit just to have a row, we always get special food for my cousins husband when they visit

Buying food doesnt mean you didnt tell em off. Not on.
  • random1980s
    Options
    by creating this thread the op has at least made me realise I am not the biggest idiot on here. seriously, grow up you plonker
  • *max*
    *max* Posts: 3,208 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    emsywoo123 wrote: »
    What I like about MSE is that it teaches me that
    A) things are not all that bad for me
    B) my friends/family are crazy but not off the scale
    C) I'll never really understand people.

I'm with you there. It takes reading stuff like this to remind me I actually have it really good. Some people are just unreal!
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I also think you are making mountain out of a molehill and I am sorry to say this but it does smack a bit of your own self importance.

People have to work and sometimes have no choice in the matter if they want to keep their job.

My daughter and her boyfriend had tickets to see a show last week and he was told he had to work late that night, he told them he had booked to go out and he was told he still had to work. He wants his job so he did it.

I think you should be apologising to them for making them feel so uncomfortable in your home.
  • KiKi
    KiKi Posts: 5,377 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Dunroamin wrote: »

IME, when they're very little, yes. Often for 1-4 year olds it's just family and adult friends (who may or may not have kids). When they hit 5 onwards, we adults get dumped for their schoolfriends. ;)
    ' <-- See that? It's called an apostrophe. It does not mean "hey, look out, here comes an S".
  • Tiddlywinks
    Options
    Dunroamin wrote: »

It's to share the 'joy' of their little princess don't you know! ;)
    :hello:
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    KiKi wrote: »
    Sometimes you're so taken aback you take a while to process things. Plus, you've driven 100 miles and you want the kids to have a good time. Or, you've reflected on it afterwards and realised you are upset.

We've all had things happen that have riled us but stuck it out for the sake of the kids / a happy family etc, or where it's only when we've stopped and thought about it that we've realised that wasn't okay.

(The OP took a WEEK to tell his cousin that they were cross with them, even though they were immediately annoyed.)

But - despite the OP giving them plenty of notice of the party - they ring up the night before and say they aren't coming. now in my book that it is not on unless there is an emergency. then they INVITE themselves for the next weekend? dunno about you, but I am not very keen on people inviting themselves to my house.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport