No toys or blankets in allowed in cot as they can cause cot deaths?

Options
14567810»

Comments

• downshifted
    downshifted Posts: 1,153 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My first grandchild is due this month and reading this thread has left me thoroughly depressed!
    Downshifted

September GC £251.21/£250 October £248.82/£250 January £159.53/£200
  • Bennifred
    Bennifred Posts: 3,986 Forumite
    Options
    My first grandchild is due this month and reading this thread has left me thoroughly depressed!

Just follow the rules and you'll be fine! :rotfl:
    [
  • Gigglepig
    Gigglepig Posts: 1,270 Forumite
    Options

I am expecting a baby very soon, and find it depressing as well. (and very grateful that my parents are usually very respectful of other people 's choices, so hopefully this won't be a problem for our family if we make different choices for example due allergies.)
  • rpc
    rpc Posts: 2,353 Forumite
    Options
    Nicki wrote: »
    As you can see from this news report (one of many) you don't need huge amounts of salt to kill a baby or make a small child very ill. The child in that report had a safe level of salt for an adult, but way too much for a child (just over a teaspoon's worth of salt contained in processed food spread over a whole day's worth of food)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/404667.stm

You need to be careful with salt, but it is hardly a fair to compare the diet of a toddler to a 3 month old baby that shouldn't even be having any solids!
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    edited 4 November 2013 at 2:15PM
    Options
    rpc wrote: »
    You need to be careful with salt, but it is hardly a fair to compare the diet of a toddler to a 3 month old baby that shouldn't even be having any solids!

The amount of salt I referred to in my post was the maximum amount per day for a child under the age of 3, as recommended by the NHS. Its also worth pointing out that the news report dates from 1999 when medical advice was to start weaning at or around 16 weeks so the parents were not necessarily early weaning by the standards of the time.

I'm not a salt or a sugar nazi by any means and have always been sensible without being puritanical with my own kids, but I feel quite strongly that decisions about a child's health and diet are the parents' and the parents' alone. Those who have been lambasting Aimless and telling her that her 2 year old is "hardly a baby" would probably be amongst the first to jump up and tell her she needed to begin to parent if she were to have started a thread saying that she fed her two year old only on turkey twizzlers and spaghetti hoops because that is what the 2 year old chose to eat!

To the grannies to be - my parents and my parents in law were very respectful in their approach IMO. They asked before they offered my kids sweets or snacks for the first time what I felt about it, and when I said I was OK about them having occasional treats, they then knew that it was fine for them to offer these to my kids but even now (when my eldest child is 13 and my youngest is 4) they will quietly tell me when they arrive that they have sweets and ask when is the best time to distribute them, so they don't end up handing over a massive bag of malteasers just before I serve up tea for example. They would also all not dream of offering any of my children anything they had an allergy or intolerance to (my DS was lactose intolerant as a baby). No fights or falling out with us because we all respected each other enough and didn't ride roughshod over each other's opinions or desires.
  • delain
    delain Posts: 7,700 Forumite
    Options
    rpc wrote: »
    The risk of cot death for an 18 month old is so low as to be effectively zero. Cot death (SIDS) is only really a risk up until around 6 months. I have never seen a recommendation that an 18 month old should not use a blanket (or even duvet).

By that age they are far more able to cope with objects in their cot as they can recognise sensations, control their bodies and have more strength to wriggle away etc.

Guidance here says 12 months for duvets and small pillows.

Both my little 2 were in really low to the ground toddler type beds with duvets from 14 months. Youngest isn't even 2 yet so not exactly years ago!

Same children eat the same diet we do. I don't add salt when cooking and we don't eat huge amounts of processed food so I call that good. However none of mine have any allergies, meaning I can be more relaxed than Aimless food-wise, and they will have a little dab of gravy with a homecooked, otherwise salt free roast dinner on a Sunday.

It's hard to deal with grandparents sometimes, my ex-MIL is a royal pain in the backside and has been since my oldest was a tiny baby. When she was my MIL it was a diplomatic nightmare as my none too nice ex always sided with her... Now she's my ex-MIL life's a lot easier :o:o
    Mum of several with a twisted sense of humour and a laundry obsession :o:o
  • goonarmy
    goonarmy Posts: 1,006 Forumite
    Options
    Havent read all this thread cos its lost its way but with regard to the topic grow bags are the answer. Jobs a goodun.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure