PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Options

Comments

• Frogletina
    Frogletina Posts: 3,901 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Frogletina wrote: »
    Below is a list of items that I need to eat up.

I've included homemade items in freezer - I never know what date I should consider them ok to eat. However, my youngest told me that she had the rest of the Christmas nut roast I made for her last year, for this year's dinner.

Foods in the freezer past the bb date

vegetable fingers
    vegetarian sausages
    vegetarian sausage rolls
    chopped ginger
    green beans
    [STRIKE]cheesy mash[/STRIKE] half eaten
    vegetarian chicken style strips
    Jus rol pastry
    2 part used loaves of bread
    1 part used gluten free loaf
    1 loaf of bread
    1 part used loaf of cheesy bread
    1 packet of rolls
    Home made vegetable curry
    Home made quorn curry
    2 Home made rissoles and 7 slices of cashew nut roast

In my fridge

[STRIKE]4 coconut yoghourts[/STRIKE] one left
    1 goat's milk yoghourt
    [STRIKE]carrots - nearing end of life[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]cucumber - nearing end of life[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]milk[/STRIKE]
    lime juice
    lemon juice
    mayonnaise
    alpro desserts
    gruyere cheese

In my cupboards

flax seeds
    tarka dall
    gravy
    vermicelli
    sultanas
    yeast
    stuffing mix
    18 small boxes of raisins
    Golden breadcumbs - one still unopened
    peanut butter
    almond flour
    millet
    walnuts
    marmite
    peppermint and nettle tea

I will try to update this at least once a week

frogletina

first update as above

The only food items I have bought this first week are as follows:

milk
    half a cucumber
    one banana

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first
    SPC 8 £1567.31 SPC 9 £1014.64 SPC 10 # £1164.13 SPC 11 £1598.15 SPC 12 # £994.67 SPC 13 £962.54 SPC 14 £1154.79 SPC15 £715.38 SPC16 £1071.81⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Declutter thread - ⭐⭐🏅
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I stocked up over the Christmas period on reduced meat and fish, so now I've decided in January I'm going to eat out my freezer and only buy fresh stuff.

I've spent £11.90 on food since Monday and no plans of spending any this weekend! Which for me is very impressive as that includes anything I've bought to go with my lunches. I spend £130 a month on groceries usually just for me! I hope I can keep the not spending money until my freezers are almost empty!
  • milasavesmoney
    milasavesmoney Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 7 January 2017 at 7:03AM
    Options
    I've been following, but not posting, since Christmas. Just wanted to say I made beef stew and used a jar of pickled onions from the cupboard instead of the onion I had that could be used for something else. It was really good and I get that it sounds totally wrong and gross, but it's not, it's lovely and doesn't taste like pickled onions.

I was given the half jar of leftover pickled onions that were used at Christmas to bring home and this sounds like a great way to use them. I would have never thought of it so thank you for sharing.

I'm getting great ideas here. This is fun. Cranberry juice in Jello! (I'm American and say Jello) over berries. Yum!! I'll take yogurt please.:D

p.s. Frogletina, I've never heard of buying half a cucumber. Interesting that it's available that way.
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • snowfox
    snowfox Posts: 84 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Can I join too please? I don't have a massive freezer or stock cupboard compared to others, but I do have some things lurking that we really should eat before buying more stuff!

Will start tomorrow by using up half a jar of duck fat bought for the Christmas roasties. :)
  • Cheapskate
    Cheapskate Posts: 1,757 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hello, I've come to join in, too! Have so much food in this house (plus stuff in mum's freezer!) that I'm sure we can spend next to nothing at least for January.

I have a lot of different sorts of beef in the freezers, fom a local beef farm box scheme, plus plenty of plain fish (cod and salmon), lots of blackberries, and odds and ends of bread and other bits. Pantry-wise, big range of dried herbs and spices, dried and tinned pulses, tinned fruit/soup/baked beans/pasta/pulses/rice pud/custard...... In theory, all I NEED to buy over the next few weeks is milk, fresh fruit and veg anda cat food.

Some friends and I have started a facebook group to help us all reduce food waste, including sharing recipes for leftovers and swapping stuff we don't want with each other - all local so we don't end up driving too far.

I'm going to do a proper food stocktake and meal plan today, so I know what I need to buy. We had building work done over the autumn and all the stuff from the pantry ended up in bags upstairs, so it's a good opportunity to sort through stuff where I can see it, rather than rummaging through shelves.

Off to read back through the thread - looks interesting! :):)

A xo
    Jan 2021 GC £11.70/£300
    2021 mission declutter& clean 53/2021
    Jan NSD 7/31
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Please can I join? I have three freezers and a larder full of food. While I will not totally clear I want to reduce dramatically and January is perfect.

Thanks
    SL
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • oceanspirit
    oceanspirit Posts: 1,021 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I've been following, but not posting, since Christmas. Just wanted to say I made beef stew and used a jar of pickled onions from the cupboard instead of the onion I had that could be used for something else. It was really good and I get that it sounds totally wrong and gross, but it's not, it's lovely and doesn't taste like pickled onions.

Sounds yummy.

Didn't use anything up yesterday as friend took me out for lunch and had salad for tea.

Today need to use up tinned mushrooms and hemp milk so it'll be mushroom stroganoff on mashed celeriac with spinach on the side.
    Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone:-
    I know I'm sort of new to this thread but it's great to see so many joining, swapping ideas etc, stops me getting bored with what I put on the table. I'm also thinking of all the money I'm going to save by not being a food shopaholic......

Had a slight change of plan yesterday - the jelly hadn't set by teatime so icecream instead
    Bit of a disaster today, I mustn't have closed the freezer door last night when I got the icecream out. All the drawers are now on top of the chest freezer and I'm defrosting it as fast as I dare before putting everything back - hopefully it should be ok. At least there is no meat in that freezer just mainly fruit, veg, and HM soup.

(day2) Lunch - toasted ham sandwiches for DH, tomato soup for me, yesterdays jelly
    Tea - one leg of lamb out of the freezer/veg. DH: filo pastry/bramley apple/custard - me: rest of jelly

A little space made in freezer due to leg of lamb coming out. Note to myself SPACE NOT TO BE FILLED
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    zafiro1984 wrote: »
    Hi everyone:-
    I know I'm sort of new to this thread but it's great to see so many joining, swapping ideas etc, stops me getting bored with what I put on the table. I'm also thinking of all the money I'm going to save by not being a food shopaholic......

Had a slight change of plan yesterday - the jelly hadn't set by teatime so icecream instead
    Bit of a disaster today, I mustn't have closed the freezer door last night when I got the icecream out. All the drawers are now on top of the chest freezer and I'm defrosting it as fast as I dare before putting everything back - hopefully it should be ok. At least there is no meat in that freezer just mainly fruit, veg, and HM soup.

(day2) Lunch - toasted ham sandwiches for DH, tomato soup for me, yesterdays jelly
    Tea - one leg of lamb out of the freezer/veg. DH: filo pastry/bramley apple/custard - me: rest of jelly

A little space made in freezer due to leg of lamb coming out. Note to myself SPACE NOT TO BE FILLED

Bit puzzled as to why you are defrosting everything before putting it back? When this happened to me I was advised to use up anything that had defrosted, anything that was only partially defrosted was left in.
    Slimming World at target
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    meg72 wrote: »
    Bit puzzled as to why you are defrosting everything before putting it back? When this happened to me I was advised to use up anything that had defrosted, anything that was only partially defrosted was left in.

Think she means the freezer is being defrosted as fast as possible (probably iced up) rather than the contents

SL
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure