PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Options

Comments

• GreenFairy
    GreenFairy Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I reorganised my fridge and presses today, and my fridge now has a "needs eating urgently" section :D Did a quick supermarket runs, but most of it was either refilling perishables, or brekkie and lunch bits to stop me spending all my dosh at coffee shops during the week.

Got a few decent ys bargains which I was happy with - they're less and less of a bargain here these days. 50cent off a fancy chilled pizza or a euro off a beef joint at seven in the evening when theyre about to go off is a bit pants! I'm sure rake loads of them go in a skip instead of being sold at a better bargain. :(

In
    YS Whole chicken
    YS 4 chicken fillets
    YS fish pie
    Can of refried beans
    Coffee beans
    Tea bags
    Bread flour
    Olive oil
    Cheeses
    Fruit and veg
    Burger buns
    Milk
    Crisp multipack

Shouldn't have to go near the supermarket for at least another week or ten days, unless I run out of milk!
    Attempting to stay on track in the Grocery Challenge!

Occasionally blogging at CookingTheBooks!
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    Options
    Out today- Dried fruit and nuts, noodles from store cupboard
    Smoked haddock from freezer
    Spring onions, mushrooms, carrots from fridge
    Xmas mince pies from treat cupboard

Made yoghurt with fruit and nuts for brekkie then haddock with stir fry for dinner. Didn't bother with lunch

In- RTC protein bars & RTC easiyo yoghurt mix
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • FurryBeastOz
    FurryBeastOz Posts: 1,380 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Out of freezer - 500g veal mince, 500g pork mince. Various storecupboard ingredients and voila, 12 portions of lasagne. 8 back into freezer after generous lunches.

Still munching our way through the Christmas cheese for dinner with OOD jelly and the last of the Christmas cream.

Tomorrow we have a visitor, probably. So either 2 or 3 portions of leftovers roast pork coming out of freezer to go in with the carrots and cabbage left over from today with rice and a soy dressing. Chicken miso coming out of the freezer as well for lunch.

Meal planning from freezer for the rest of the week, we have lots of veg so should only need dairy.
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18
    Mmmm. 26lb at 1/7/18. Oops:o
  • Franalamadingdong
    Options
    On the inside of my larder cupboard I have listed in categories all the contents of the cupboard. Went shopping today and used some of the contents so updated it.... Half a bag of onion rings and the last few after 8s count don't they?! Haha.

Really pleased that I said no to DS asking for treats (treat box is full) and cereal. We have a full box and one serving of rice crispies in there, a few servings of cornflakes, masses of oats (we eat a lot of oats) and one serving of wheats. There was absolutely no need to buy cereal!

Planning to use some new potatoes, that are an insult to call new, tomorrow. We're having a steak treat! The rest of the week should be pretty store pounding. Tomorrow was a day I'd factored in for flexibility.

Tip for the pickled onions, they were best diced rather than left whole. I did a mix to see what was best.it also ran down our red split lentils a bit, and finished a box of suet, sprouting potatoes and the meat was from the freezer. I love stew.
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,698 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We had Chinese tonight, used a jar of sweet and sour sauce that I have had for ages, that was cooked with some prawns from Christmas. I made a mushroom chow mein, I usually make my own sauce but I had a free sample from ocado some months back so that was used. I also made egg fried rice using a sachet of white rice and I did some frozen spring rolls that I got for Christmas buffets. I also made some crispy kale. The only thing I needed to buy especially for this was some fresh noodles, cos I think they are better and some beansprouts.
  • Eyeore
    Eyeore Posts: 259 Forumite
    Options
    Small packet of mince out, prob about 75g, so will pad it out with bottom of fridge veg and a small tin of kidney beans to make a few portions of chilli. Have a small pot of soured cream in fridge that hopefully hasn't gone off yet!
    2019, move forward with positivity! I am the opposite of Eyeore :rotfl:
  • jintyb
    jintyb Posts: 1,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Good morning, I too am trying to use up freezer stuff. Ive found a box of frozen mango and a box of frozen pineapple. Other tgan smoothies, anyone got any ideas for using up?
    TIA x

you will always be rich enough to be generous.
  • Soworried
    Options
    I love mango and would just eat it how it is, defrosted of course :rotfl:

The pineapple would go nice with warm custard or in the bottom of a cake tin with sponge mix on top as upside down cake?
    £36/£240
    £5522
  • Soworried
    Options
    I'm going to tackle doing an inventory today. Still so much in that I'm not looking forward to it but needs must so that I can plan how to use it up.
    £36/£240
    £5522
  • jintyb
    jintyb Posts: 1,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Soworried wrote: »
    I love mango and would just eat it how it is, defrosted of course :rotfl:

The pineapple would go nice with warm custard or in the bottom of a cake tin with sponge mix on top as upside down cake?

Of course, I should have thought of just eating it naturally- might bung a bit of greek yogurt on there! Sometimes you can look fir complicated when simple is just fine!:rotfl:

you will always be rich enough to be generous.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback