PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Options

Comments

• oceanspirit
    oceanspirit Posts: 1,021 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Lots of veg oddments used up from fridge yesterday plus half a tin of mushrooms OOD Aug 2016. Will use the other half today.

One portion of soup from the freezer yesterday plus a portion of mashed potato, swede and carrot.
    Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Please can I join in again, I last posted in 2013 but then I dropped off the wagon. However, with three large freezers bursting at the seams and a pantry full of stuff I think I need to get my life back in order.

One 400L plus chest freezer is full of meat, quite a lot is home grown or game. Two 200L plus upright freezers have mainly home grown fruit and veg in them plus soups, cakes, casseroles, ice cream and bread - I just love cooking but hate to waste anything....

My daughter (a sensible 47 yr old ) thinks I have enough food to last at least a year and she cannot understand why my shopping bills are so much. To be honest I know she is right but I find it so hard not to shop, any excuse and I jump in the car and drive there. (I'm not a shopaholic for clothes, shoes, or anything else, it's just about food).

Hopefully by posting on this thread it will help to curb my habit and I can see more going out of the cupboards and freezer than going in.

(day one) Tonight:- defrosted ham and turkey cooked pieces, with mushrooms and some veg from the fridge plus a white sauce - I'll use some left over white wine, all in a puff pastry parcel. Then low calorie jelly but made with some cranberry juice in the fridge that's still in date from Christmas over blackberries, raspberries and jostaberries from the freezer. I've run out of cream but I can use greek yogurt for my DH - if he looks sad..
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,177 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    FBO - a teaspoonful of almond butter in porridge is nice. Or in smoothies. Or just from the spoon on it's own...
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    Options
    Out today came 40g of petit pois and some turkey for another curry. Also some sausages to go with noodles for ds when he came at lunch time.

Cheese topped baton squeezed in the gap.
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • celyn90
    celyn90 Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    Hello :hello:

I'm trying to run the cupboards and freezer down a bit - as they are both full of really random things - so I am on a mission to use up all of the stuff I bought for one recipe that has just been sitting there.

I've just taken pulled pork and rolls from the freezer for OH's dinner. Soup and salad for me (I don't like pulled pork), and I've used the last of the black sesame seeds in the cupboard on the salad.

Cherry pie from the freezer for dessert
    :staradmin:starmod: beware of geeks bearing .gifs...:starmod::staradmin
    :starmod: Whoever said "nothing is impossible" obviously never tried to nail jelly to a tree :starmod:
  • Franalamadingdong
    Options
    I've been following, but not posting, since Christmas. Just wanted to say I made beef stew and used a jar of pickled onions from the cupboard instead of the onion I had that could be used for something else. It was really good and I get that it sounds totally wrong and gross, but it's not, it's lovely and doesn't taste like pickled onions.
  • GreenFairy
    Options
    Finished work at 7pm tonight -two hours late- and wrecked, so DH ordered us a cheeky takeaway. Portion was enormous, so half has been scoffed and half is left for tomorrow.

still haven't been to the shop...may have to get milk tomorrow though :)
    Attempting to stay on track in the Grocery Challenge!

Occasionally blogging at CookingTheBooks!
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Did decide to test my mini grill today which parents gave me about 18 months ago as I don't have cooker at new place.

I actually am impressed with how it cooked things, I used no oil of course and put a tray of sausages on, no fat came off them, they stayed full size and cooked all round unlike when I fry them they end up burned at the edges and not quite cooked inside, or when I ovened them and all the fat came off.

Not perfect tasting yet though but that will be a case of learning the best temperature and time to cook them.
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Out of freezer, YS joint of beef, £5 instead of £8. Going to try to stretch this as far as I can. Two slices cut of for braised Beef and veg for Saturday. Rest cut in half, one half to roast for Sunday lunch, cold meat chips and pickles Monday. Other half minced, hoping to make cottage pie,
    chilli con carne and spaghetti bolognaise. This would then be 6 meals for two of us.

That's the plan anyway will have to see if it works out.
    Slimming World at target
  • Purple_kitten
    Options
    Freezer today was an rtc 23p pizza.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills