PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Options
1667668669670671673»

Comments

• Frogletina
    Frogletina Posts: 3,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    carinjo said:
    It sounds like it going very well! Are you keeping track of the money you saving by not buying? 
    Regarding the milk: it ok i think to buy essentials, the strategy being not to waste either what you have, or buying what you don't need. But congrats on doing so well.

Yes, I'm keeping track via Ynab. I did get milk but paid for it with my co-op reward card which meant no money spent. That's a win. Plus I have money on my Sainsbury's nectar card so if I really need anything this month, that is where I am off to.

I am spending Christmas day at my granddaughter's house. I've already made one of the main courses, a chestnut roast.

My birthday was yesterday and my granddaughter gave me a bottle of Champagne so that's what we will have on Christmas day too.

So far, so good.
    Final update of the year. 

I did get to spend Christmas day with my granddaughter, but we didn't open the champagne as my son in law tested positive for covid on Christmas morning so he and my daughter couldn't go. My granddaughter picked me up and her surprise for me was that her partner had proposed that morning! The champagne will be drunk when we have an alternative Christmas day with her parents too. That means I'll need to make another chestnut roast! 

I kept to my intention to not buy any more food in December, despite having to donate the last of my butter to make a cheese sauce for Christmas Dinner. I took one of the cranberry sauces and that was used up too.

I hope it's not considered as cheating that I had a food delivery today - it will be charged tomorrow and I won't be eating any of it until then.

I bought veg, salad, fruit, potatoes, flour, oats, almonds, eggs, milk, bread, butter and marmalade. I made up the minimum £40 order by ordering some dishwasher tablets.

I had the last egg yesterday, the last potato today - the bread and butter went a week ago. I made some custard today with the last of the milk to eat with an apple crisp from the freezer.

The cheesecake didn't get made as I had no butter or enough milk to make it. But there's always tomorrow!

So, as usual, I've checked what I have left that is past its best before date

Tea
    Coffee
    Hot Chocolate

Molasses
    Pina Colada Conserve bb date 12/21
    Lime Mohito Conserve bb date 12/21

lemon extract
    mint extract
    Baking powder

Paprika
    Mixed herbs
    Ginger

Squeezy Lemon

Cheesecake mix

One packet of Turkish Yayla soup

Not quite the clean sweep I was thinking of, but none of these had better be on the list at the end of 2022!
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first
    SPC 8 £1567.31 SPC 9 £1014.64 SPC 10 # £1164.13 SPC 11 £1598.15 SPC 12 # £994.67 SPC 13 £962.54 SPC 14 £1154.79 SPC15 £715.38 SPC16 £1071.81⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Declutter thread - ⭐⭐🏅
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks @carinjo.  We enjoyed France but wish we'd been able to stay longer - we weren't actually due back until 8 January but decided to come back early when M. Macron decided he didn't want British tourist to enter the country!

More shopping done:

In:  loads of chicken breasts - some frozen singly as very large; some in pairs for dinners like Kievs.  2 boxes of chicken thighs and large bag of low fat beef mince
    Out:  0

• carinjo
    carinjo Posts: 897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    @Frogletina sounds like you ready for 2022! @joedenise, glad you managed to get a bit of a break, the france situation also made us decide not to plan a trip there for 2022 (been trying since 2020).

A big thank you to everyone for the last year and all the ideas and advice, a special shoutout to @zafiro1984 and her posh teas  :)
    Best Wishes for 2022 everyone, i am on my way to work!

Yeah for A1d1s food sales. Missed out xmas eve, but managed today.
    In: All 75% off: 2x large chicken, 2x pack lampchops, 1x chicken wings (14p!!!!), 1x pork roast, 1x large pack chicken breasts. Various spices and herbs to replace the ones had to bin/finished.
    Out: butternut, pumpkin, potatoes (from shed) for lunch with sister and family tomorrow. Puff pastry and various bits for individual chicken pies.
    It's good for the soul to walk with your soles on the soil. 
  • carinjo
    carinjo Posts: 897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills