IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Successful complaints about private parking tickets - how to get them cancelled!

Options

Comments

• the_wheels_have_fallen_of
    Options
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5276346

My successful cancellation of pretend ticket at Ravenhead Retail Park, St Helens - after complaining to retailer.
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    Hi. I had a parking notice from Parking Eye, over the time by 12 minutes. I went to Aldi the following day to see the manager. He was a decent guy and said he would get it cancelled. I had spent £33 in the store. It was cancelled, a letter from PE said I had nothing to pay. Always go to the store first and ask.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5271072

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,419 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Always go to the store first and ask.

In addition to following the NEWBIES FAQ Sticky. Don't rely on one avenue of response/approach to a PE parking charge, because if you fail to meet their deadlines chasing an alternative remedy instead of the official appeals process to them, you're potentially staring down the barrel of court papers.

Fight them on as many fronts as possible - in parallel!
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • 1505grandad
    1505grandad Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    After a lengthy chain of correspondence managed to get daughter's invoice cancelled by Aviva Life & Pensions UK Ltd.

Also POPLA upheld appeal on no contract submitted.
  • tashaminx
    tashaminx Posts: 34 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5276346

My successful cancellation of pretend ticket at Ravenhead Retail Park, St Helens - after complaining to retailer.

What do you mean by 'pretend ticket'?

I also keep seeing references to 'fake' pcns. Surely if they're fake or pretend they would be easy to ignore? I'm not sure if I'm
    Misunderstanding these references?
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not sure if I'm Misunderstanding these references?

You are, they are speculative invoices, the whole industry is built on deceit.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,062 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    tashaminx wrote: »
    What do you mean by 'pretend ticket'?

I also keep seeing references to 'fake' pcns. Surely if they're fake or pretend they would be easy to ignore? I'm not sure if I'm
    Misunderstanding these references?

As The Deep says they are speculative invoices, placed in pretend yellow and black envelopes impersonating real PCN's, given out by pretend wardens dressed up in uniforms to look like official ones, and the 'tickets" they give out are copies of real parking tickets.
    And that's only the beginning!
  • slaus
    slaus Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Slaus v Parking Eye (Welcome Break Fleet-Hampshire (North))
    Hello,
    I just wanted to say thanks for all the advice on this site about the parking charges!
    After following the advice for newbies my PCN, 'Parking Charge Notice' was cancelled.

It was from ParkingEye at the beginning of the month and I appealed using their online form.
    I expected them to reject it but they cancelled it straight of. I simply said that I had stopped because I was tired and I felt it was dangerous to continue driving and following police advice I stopped. It was dark when we stopped and my wife and I both didn't see the signs. After a short nap we used the facilities including the waitrose and petrol station and carried on. We received the PCN a week later. (It was a letter that was meant to look like a fine, including pictures on entry and exit and was for £100 but would be reduced to £60 if paid within 14 days! Cheeky whatsits!). We had been in the carpark for 3 hours 27 minutes and only 2 hours are free.
    Cheers
  • Ralph-y
    Ralph-y Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    well done :j

would you kindly consider posting up your appeal and parkinglie's reply ....... as it may help other transgressors who fail to keep contracts/trespass ;)

Ralph:cool:
  • slaus
    slaus Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Slaus v Parking Eye (Welcome Break Fleet-Hampshire (North))

My appeal was:

"Hello Parking Eye,
    The driver was very tired after having left Glastonbury at 4.30am having worked for charity through the night. The driver stopped at the services to have a quick nap as the police advise not to drive while tired. The driver and passenger was not aware of a time limit on parking at service stations and neither the driver or passenger saw the parking signs when they parked in the dark at 6 am.
    After having a nap in the car they used the services to buy refreshments from Waitrose and then used the petrol station to buy petrol before leaving the services.
    Please cancel this parking charge because the driver was merely following police advice to not drive when tired and also the driver and passenger did not see the parking signs when they arrived in the dark and tired at 6am.
    I have attached the 2 screenshots of the transactions that we made at the services during our stay.
    Should this appeal be unsuccessful please send me the information I need to appeal to the Independent Appeals Service (POPLA).
    Many thanks and kind regards,
    Xxxxxx Xxxxxx"

ParkingEye's response was:

"Reference: Parking Charge Notice - xxxxxxxxxxx
    Dear Sir / Madam,
    We refer to the Parking Charge incurred on xx June 2015 at xx:xx:xx, at Welcome Break Fleet-Hampshire (North) car park.
    We can confirm that this Charge has been cancelled and there is no outstanding payment due on this account.
    Kind Regards,
    ParkingEye Team"

I hope this helps.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family