Have you tried to claim compensation for flight delays?

Options

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm new to this forum and want to know if flight delay claims from Summer 2014 should have been settled by now. The tour operator is Thomas Cook and their 'customer relations' team won't answer my emails.

some will and some won't....I am still waiting for payment for a delay in 2010
    Did you submit your claim back in 2014 or more recently?
    Was it a flight operated by Thomas Cook...if not you need to submit your claim to the operating airline
    Best have a read of Vaubans guide...http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5173888
  • Andypandyboy
    Andypandyboy Posts: 2,472 Forumite
    edited 3 February 2016 at 3:37PM
    Options
    ~MattW~ wrote: »
    A very prompt turnaround from Ryanair regarding a recent flight delay and my claim for compensation.

In short - flew LPL to DUB on 30th December - flight supposed to depart around 13:30 and arrive just under an hour later - arrival time delayed just over 8 hours, airline staff at Liverpool confirmed this was due to a technical fault, and so we had to wait until another aircraft had completed it's flights for that day and could then redirect to get us to Dublin.

Can't fault the staff we dealt with - handed out meal vouchers without question (which didn't go far for the length of time we were delayed) and provided information on the spot about our rights and entitlement to compensation etc. And, in all fairness, Ryanair did get us to our destination when they could just have easily have cancelled the flight outright.... We got an automated text message and e-mail from Ryanair whilst still at Liverpool acknowledging the delay. However, both of these messages are pretty useless, as they didn't include the reason for the delay and therefore are zero use as leverage/evidence with the subsequent claim for flight delay compensation.

Made a phone call to Ryanair a week or so later, and was directed to an enquiry form that's pretty well-buried on their website - this is a basically a template that you have to print and post to Dublin - pretty straightforward - I scribbled a note on the form requesting that Ryanair state clearly in writing the reason for the delay, which I believed to be a technical fault on their part. Around a fortnight later received letter (from Romania...) in the post acknowledging the reason for the delay - happy days :-)

Used MSE Resolver tool to initiate claim this morning and attached a scanned PDF of their letter admitting that a technical fault on their part was to blame. Modified the text in the Resolver template a bit to make it clear I was seeking 500 EUR compensation for the delay as per the relevant EU directive (2 persons, 3+ hour delay, flight distance <1,500km) - Ryanair replied within the hour requesting my bank details, which I duly provided, and I've literally just received another e-mail stating they will be transferring ~£380 to my bank account in due course, no further questions asked. Took around 4 hours all-in today between submitting Resolver claim and confirmation of compensation payment e-mail from Ryanair.

Assuming the cash turns up, one happy customer! Thumbs up for the Resolver tool :-) :j

P.S. you could try using Resolver without attaching the 'insurance letter' which in my case stated the reason for the delay and meant they couldn't deny that they were at fault. Could be a bit risky without anything in writing from them acknowledging your delay was entirely their fault....

That is fantastic and well worth knowing, thank you.

I had two Ryan air cases paid out late last year but they had taken years to resolve and we had to use Botts to gain the compensation.

From your experience it seems as if Ryanair have take the court rulings onboard and are now acting accordingly.

• razorsedge
    Options
    ~MattW~ wrote: »
    A very prompt turnaround from Ryanair regarding a recent flight delay and my claim for compensation.

In short - flew LPL to DUB on 30th December - flight supposed to depart around 13:30 and arrive just under an hour later - arrival time delayed just over 8 hours, airline staff at Liverpool confirmed this was due to a technical fault, and so we had to wait until another aircraft had completed it's flights for that day and could then redirect to get us to Dublin.

Can't fault the staff we dealt with - handed out meal vouchers without question (which didn't go far for the length of time we were delayed) and provided information on the spot about our rights and entitlement to compensation etc. And, in all fairness, Ryanair did get us to our destination when they could just have easily have cancelled the flight outright.... We got an automated text message and e-mail from Ryanair whilst still at Liverpool acknowledging the delay. However, both of these messages are pretty useless, as they didn't include the reason for the delay and therefore are zero use as leverage/evidence with the subsequent claim for flight delay compensation.

Made a phone call to Ryanair a week or so later, and was directed to an enquiry form that's pretty well-buried on their website - this is a basically a template that you have to print and post to Dublin - pretty straightforward - I scribbled a note on the form requesting that Ryanair state clearly in writing the reason for the delay, which I believed to be a technical fault on their part. Around a fortnight later received letter (from Romania...) in the post acknowledging the reason for the delay - happy days :-)

Used MSE Resolver tool to initiate claim this morning and attached a scanned PDF of their letter admitting that a technical fault on their part was to blame. Modified the text in the Resolver template a bit to make it clear I was seeking 500 EUR compensation for the delay as per the relevant EU directive (2 persons, 3+ hour delay, flight distance <1,500km) - Ryanair replied within the hour requesting my bank details, which I duly provided, and I've literally just received another e-mail stating they will be transferring ~£380 to my bank account in due course, no further questions asked. Took around 4 hours all-in today between submitting Resolver claim and confirmation of compensation payment e-mail from Ryanair.

Assuming the cash turns up, one happy customer! Thumbs up for the Resolver tool :-) :j

P.S. you could try using Resolver without attaching the 'insurance letter' which in my case stated the reason for the delay and meant they couldn't deny that they were at fault. Could be a bit risky without anything in writing from them acknowledging your delay was entirely their fault....

Please let us all know when you do actually get paid. There have been several reports on the Ryanair thread of them saying they will pay then doing nothing.
    The above is just my opinon - which counts for nowt! You must make up your own mind.
  • David.W.
    Options
    Can anyone tell me why a pilots strike should be a reason for not paying compensation.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    David.W. wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me why a pilots strike should be a reason for not paying compensation.

it is not a reason for EC...examples in the Lufthansa thread
  • Janecaradine
    Options
    I tried to get compensation for a flight delay last December which was delayed for nearly 9 hours. I have a reply back to say "In light of the Supreme Court ruling on 31st October 2014 we have investigated the claim for flight **** and our delay handling logs show that the flight was delayed due to unexpected damage tot he aircraft."
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I tried to get compensation for a flight delay last December which was delayed for nearly 9 hours. I have a reply back to say "In light of the Supreme Court ruling on 31st October 2014 we have investigated the claim for flight **** and our delay handling logs show that the flight was delayed due to unexpected damage tot he aircraft."

Hi Jane,

It doesn't sound like a reason to escape paying compensation imo.

Any idea what they are referring to?

Tyzap.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • willshewring
    Options
    After the ruling in one case on 14/1/16 that lightening strikes were not one of the "extraordinary circumstances" that excused airlines paying out delay compensation, does anyone know if this sets a precedence and opens the floodgates for everyone with a similar claim or is it a one off decision ? Thanks.
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    After the ruling in one case on 14/1/16 that lightening strikes were not one of the "extraordinary circumstances" that excused airlines paying out delay compensation, does anyone know if this sets a precedence and opens the floodgates for everyone with a similar claim or is it a one off decision ? Thanks.

Hi Will,

No, a precedent has not been set that I know of but CCJ's can be persuasive. See links below.

http://www.flightdelays.co.uk/blog/2015/1324/lightning-strike-victory-in-riley-v-easyjet

http://www.travelmole.com/news_feature.php?news_id=2020269

Although, some decisions have gone against claimants too, so it's on a case by case basis.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • LT
    LT Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    In October last year I booked KLM codeshare (all on the one ticket from Glasgow via Amaterdam to Portland, USA.)
    Operational fault at Glasgow resulted in missed connection at Amsterdam, rerouted to Seattle then an eventually arrived 11 hours late in Portland.
    KLM sell this flight on their website daily from Glasgow to Portland, code sharing with Delta Airlines as part of their SkyTeam Alliance. Yet they say we are not due any compensation because "Relevant in that case was that both flights were operated by the same carrier. Since your connecting flight was operated by Delta Airlines flight DL179, no compensation is due on this occasion."
    Any advice anyone please?
    Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family