Have you tried to claim compensation for flight delays?

Options

Comments

• Azurabarbados
    Options
    I submitted a claim to thomson airlines for a 3 hour flight delay to barbados,on thomas cook holiday, they have refused, stated flight was 2 hours 52 mins late,so not entitled to compensation!! 8mins!!!! should I pursue this claim??
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I submitted a claim to thomson airlines for a 3 hour flight delay to barbados,on thomas cook holiday, they have refused, stated flight was 2 hours 52 mins late,so not entitled to compensation!! 8mins!!!! should I pursue this claim??

How long was the delay?
    What does flightstats say?
    Was the 172 minutes delay until they landed or the first set of plane doors opened?
    If 2h 52m correct you have no claim.
  • flopatz
    Options
    Flying from Glasgow to London, then London to Orlando. It was only when we checked in online we discovered our London flight time had been changed by 4 hrs, resulting in us having a very long early morning wait in London with small children.
    Thought I had been smart and wrote my own letter to them rather than use a template. They came back to us and offered £500 in vouchers. I wrote back stating this did not meet industry standards re EU compensation. Turns out this was BA's own way of compensating us, as it seems that compensation and Eu compensation claim are 2 slightly different things - when I followed it up with the proper EU template form, they also paid out the standard claim amount in cash.
    A win win for me. Maybe if you only send standard template, they will only consider this - can't hurt to also send your own letter as I did .
  • FedUpWithHikes
    Options
    I emailed Jet2 last July, and they replied, saying I would have to write to a special address (P.O. box, so no phone or email). I did, but never heard anything.
    I just called them again, and apparently all claims snt before last November have to be re-sent! (again by post). I guess they ditched them and hoped that people would forget, or at least it would give them time to get money off new customers..
    If they had offered me more than the £3 voucher I was given at the time (not even enough for a cup of tea and a burger), then I wouldn't bother claiming, but the more they resist, the more I want to get what I'm told I should get, even though it's more than the cost of the flight.
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I emailed Jet2 last July, and they replied, saying I would have to write to a special address (P.O. box, so no phone or email). I did, but never heard anything.
    I just called them again, and apparently all claims snt before last November have to be re-sent! (again by post). I guess they ditched them and hoped that people would forget, or at least it would give them time to get money off new customers..
    If they had offered me more than the £3 voucher I was given at the time (not even enough for a cup of tea and a burger), then I wouldn't bother claiming, but the more they resist, the more I want to get what I'm told I should get, even though it's more than the cost of the flight.

I would advise you to contact the CAA and raise a complaint with them about Jet2s failure to comply with CAA regulations regarding complaint handling. This is not how the airline should be dealing with passenger complaints and the only way to put a stop to it is for passengers such as yourself to complain to the CAA. They are the airlines regulator over such matters so it would be very interesting to see what they are prepared to do about it.

With regards to your claim with Jet2, although a little short on detail, I think you should issue an NBA (if you're up for the battle, if not you could use a NWNF solicitor) as soon as possible having had a thorough read of Vaubans superb guide in the link below.

If you then have any further question please post them on the dedicated Jet2 thread.

I hope your up for the fight ahead, please keep us posted on any developments.

Good luck.

https://dl.orangedox.com/GdfSa4xUZdZI5GJadr/Vauban's%20Guide%20to%20Claiming%20Flight%20Delay%20Compensation.pdf
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • aniellen
    Options
    Hi.
    I have recently received £640 for a flight delay from Ibiza dating back to 2012 11 hours delayed. (Thomas Cook)
    Altogether it took 4 lots of emails - so persevere and then 2 lots of phone calls politely declining their offers of holiday vouchers before finally accepting the £640 which has since been paid directly into my bank account.
    For all of you still waiting my advice is keep at it, perseverance worked for me.
  • SingingDwarf
    Options
    Tyzap wrote: »
    I would advise you to contact the CAA and raise a complaint with them about Jet2s failure to comply with CAA regulations regarding complaint handling. This is not how the airline should be dealing with passenger complaints and the only way to put a stop to it is for passengers such as yourself to complain to the CAA. They are the airlines regulator over such matters so it would be very interesting to see what they are prepared to do about it.

With regards to your claim with Jet2, although a little short on detail, I think you should issue an NBA (if you're up for the battle, if not you could use a NWNF solicitor) as soon as possible having had a thorough read of Vaubans superb guide in the link below.

If you then have any further question please post them on the dedicated Jet2 thread.

I hope your up for the fight ahead, please keep us posted on any developments.

Good luck.

https://dl.orangedox.com/GdfSa4xUZdZI5GJadr/Vauban's%20Guide%20to%20Claiming%20Flight%20Delay%20Compensation.pdf

The CAA are about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

I complained to them back in 2010 about a claim with Malaysia Airlines, who refused my request for compensation.

CAA found in my favour and wrote to Malaysian, asking them to pay me compensation. When they wouldn't, I chased up with the CAA, who refused to deal with the matter due to the stay of cases with the courts at the time, due to the European court case.

Fair enough, but they closed my case as they would not leave it open until the European case was heard.

When the stay of cases was finally lifted, Malaysian would still not pay out - however the CAA asked me to file a new case with them, which they then closed, because it was beyond the six year statue of limitations!

I believe the CAA only closed my original case because they wanted to cut down on the large backlog of cases that they had at the time - but this meant that they considered my second case as a new one, lodged too late.

The CAA is a toothless regulator - they are a complete farce and a waste of time.
  • NoviceAngel
    NoviceAngel Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    edited 29 January 2015 at 3:40AM
    Options
    The advice from Tyzap, was to report the broader issues to the CAA but to immediately issue a NBA to Jet2, our Jet2 expert is, of course, 100% correct. (He's modest -he won't like me saying that) apologies Tyzap
    The CAA are about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

I don't think you will get anyone to disagree about that point....
    I complained to them back in 2010 about a claim with Malaysia Airlines, who refused my request for compensation.

CAA found in my favour and wrote to Malaysian, asking them to pay me compensation. When they wouldn't, I chased up with the CAA, who refused to deal with the matter due to the stay of cases with the courts at the time, due to the European court case.

Fair enough, but they closed my case as they would not leave it open until the European case was heard.

Ermmmm, What European Court case? Can't be the Stergeon case that was 2009. Unless you mean the referral to the CJEU ? Do you mean the UK Supreme Court case? Which one Huzar or Dawson ?

In any case, it makes no difference if they close, support or agree with your claim, the airline would not pay. The airline should have had your NBA at least at this stage, sure your case may have been 'stayed' but it would have been within the 6 years and in the Court queue.
    When the stay of cases was finally lifted, Malaysian would still not pay out - however the CAA asked me to file a new case with them, which they then closed, because it was beyond the six year statue of limitations!

I believe the CAA only closed my original case because they wanted to cut down on the large backlog of cases that they had at the time - but this meant that they considered my second case as a new one, lodged too late.

The CAA is a toothless regulator - they are a complete farce and a waste of time.

Agreed but why did you contact the CAA in the first place? The advice on here is to issue the NBA, and follow it through ~ After reading Vaubans guide, of course...... Admited not available back in 2010

If you had commenced legal proceedings instead of playing with the CAA the situation would be different....

Like you have said even if they rule in your favour, the airlines ignore their ruling, you seem to have all the answers, but your actions puzzle me.....

Apologies if that seems unusually sharp for me, but I couldn't sleep and I'm a grump at 2am
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • ryu_ken
    Options
    My family (2 adults, 2 kids , 1 baby) had a trip to the Philippines via Kuwait Airways last month December 2014. The first leg of our outbound flight (LHR to KWI) was ok. However, the second leg (connecting flight KWI to MNL) had an 8/9-hr delay. We suppose to leave at 11:50PM local time but the flight was delayed to 8:00AM the next day. Kuwait Airways had provided hotel (we got in the room at 1:30AM) and meals. I am wondering if I could claim for compensation? I don't know if the EU ruling would allow delays at the connecting flight in a non-EU airport. The 1-stop flight (LHR to KWI and KWI to MNL) was books as a single flight booking. Can I reason out delayed arrival at the destination MNL about my claim?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure