We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Hi
    We were diverted to Turkey from Cyprus due to an engine fault on a Monarch flight,
    We were put in a hotel over night and flew out approx 21 hours later.
    Should we be compensated does anyone know or will they quote safety & security as the reason for not offering any kind of recompense?
  • Mark2spark wrote: »
    It's early days yet and airlines seem to be making up their own rules.
    Monarch, for instance, are requiring each person on the booking to make their own claim, - and that means each person has to send in either an original booking confirmation or their boarding card. A paperwork avalanche ensues at Monarch HQ :(

Thanks for that. But what if they don't have the boarding passAnd obviously I have the only booking confirmation as an email as I booked it? My flight was with Monarch we were delayed for 18 hours after the plane was "dropped" and the front wheel was damaged and we had to wait for a part to be flown in
  • delvey
    Options
    BOUNCY wrote: »
    Hi
    We were diverted to Turkey from Cyprus due to an engine fault on a Monarch flight,
    We were put in a hotel over night and flew out approx 21 hours later.
    Should we be compensated does anyone know or will they quote safety & security as the reason for not offering any kind of recompense?

If it was during the flight then I would imagine that you may not have a valid claim.
  • LBD
    Options
    I know this is going to sound stupid, with the PPI claims and such it is 6 years from you became aware of the problem?

for those with casing going back historically would the same apply? or is it 6 years from the date of the flight?

sorry if I am confusing the issues....was just curious...
  • Easyjet Flight 7241 - Liverpool to Basle (Mulhouse) - 01/09/2006
    Departure Time should have been 13.20 hours - Departed 19.35 hours (6 hours 15 mins.)
    Arrival at Basel 21.45 hours (should have been 16.10 hours)
    On transfer to Basel SBB station, no trains available to Spiez, where Hotel was booked for 2 nights (had to pay). Extra hotel to pay for in Basle.
    Complained to Easyjet on 19/09/2006, their reply and policy under EU Legislation they would only refund 2 free phone calls and Luncheon Vouchers for a flight cancellation and unable to offer a refund.
    Where do I stand on this new decision by the EU Court of Justice
  • Caz3121
    Options
    goldswil wrote: »
    Where do I stand on this new decision by the EU Court of Justice

Your flight was over 6 years ago so too late

did you make a claim through your travel insurance at the time for your additional expenses (the airline would not cover this in any case)
  • We flew with BMI Baby in May 2010 and had a 5+ hour delay due to a fault on the plane.

BMI Baby was bought by AIG and stopped operating earlier this year. Presumably I therefore have no way of claiming any compensation?

Any ideas/thoughts gratefully received.

Many thanks
  • SandLake
    Options
    I have a few questions about a Virgin flight I took on 29/12/2006, Orlando-Manchester-Dublin

I have just sent a claim off to Virgin as they were the airline from Orlando-Manchester but the flight on to Dublin (which by missing was the cause of our 7 hour delay) was with Aer Lingus - I assume it is Virgin that I claim against?

29/12 is getting close, it will be my 6 year limit, I'm sure Virgin will process this slowly. Must I have started legal proceeding prior to 29/12 for it to have any chance of suceeding?

While I know the reason for the delay, what can I do if Virgin mis-report the reason?

Thanks
  • We were delayed on a package holiday flight in April 2005 - so long ago we can't remember all the details such as travel operator or airline but we had to spend the night at Gatwick (on the floor). I have tried locating the flight details using Flight Tracker with no success - can anyone offer any advice please?
  • SandLake
    Options
    I was in touch with Virgin in 2007 but they fobbed me off - they just said that the delay was not their fault (it was) and as a gesture of goodwill they gave me 5000 Virgin miles. I gave up, but now I can see this ruling is in my favour. Would you recommend that I start legal proceedings, Virgin's website says they will acknowledge my claim within 14 working days, I could start when I have that?

It was all on one reservation.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport