Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• surreychad
    Options
    hi, Does anyone know how I proceed with a claim? Back in 2010 my family and I were delayed for 9 hours on our outbound journal to Menoca. There was no Thomas Cook rep on hand to offer any assistance help or (As I now know) provision of food drinks, etc. On arrival the main pool was closed for the week and the overall Thomas Cook support was crap. On the return journey we had another 3 hour delay even though the rep had sent called the airline to confirm that is was on time before we left the hotel.

I did put in a compliant to Thmoas Cook who basically told me to go away, the trouble i have is that I no longer have any of the emails sent to them. So do I cntact them to make a fresh compliant or do I ask them for copies of the correspondence so I can continue with the claim?
  • Jamie_Carter
    Jamie_Carter Posts: 5,282 Forumite
    Options
    For a 4 hour delay, the ECJ has ruled that reasonable compensation for loss of time and/or inconvenience amounts to 250, 400 or 600 euros dependent on the length of the flight.

I quite agree that legal representation can cost a lot of money, on occasions many times in excess of the amount claimed by the passenger. It would often cost less to compensate the passenger when they first raise their claim rather than defend the claim but that is the airlines' call and ultimately their business.

I believe that by appealing the Sturgeon judgment in the first place without any real prospect of success, the airlines have actually increased the publicity surrounding the Regulation, thereby increasing the number of potential claims they will have to process/acknowledge and ultimately defend in court. How does that square with the notion of driving up fares?

Even 250 euros is totally out or proportion when you consider the cost of budget airline flights.

I agree that in some cases compensation should be paid. But by promoting this all you are doing is pushing up prices.

Remember, airlines don't deliberately delay flights.
  • rusty_frog
    Options
    surreychad wrote: »
    hi,

I did put in a compliant to Thmoas Cook who basically told me to go away, the trouble i have is that I no longer have any of the emails sent to them. So do I cntact them to make a fresh compliant or do I ask them for copies of the correspondence so I can continue with the claim?

copies???
    You'll be lucky!
    :)
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left!

• Jamie_Carter
    Jamie_Carter Posts: 5,282 Forumite
    Options
    Hi guys,

I hope someone can give me some advice. Back in April 2012, my mum and step-dad were due to travel to Hurghada.

They boarded the aircraft and the pilot began the push back but stopped and announced that due to a suspected oil leak they would need to do some more safety checks and kept them on board for about 30 minutes.

The pilot came back an advised all passengers that the leak could not be fixed and that all passengers had to disembark.

They were delayed in total for 3 and a half hours, at no point during the delay were they offered refreshments/ phone calls etc.

They had to wait for an alternative aircraft to fly them to Hurghada.

My question is are they eligible to claim compensation? I have read that in extraordinary circumstances they can't but surely a safety issue like that should have been detected when the safety checks were made prior to them boarding passengers?

Any advice would be brilliant.

Some of the safety checks are carried out as they push back. So the fault was probably only identified then.

I'm sure you have seen some of the flaps on the wings being operated as the plane is moving along the taxiway.

My dad used to be a flight engineer on 707s. Ans at one point he worked for an Egyptian cargo airline whos safety standards weren't quite what they are here. There were three generators on the plane, and one was faulty, but they could still take off with two. But when the captain increased to full throttle to take off the second generator failed. My dad said that we couldn't take off, and cut the throttle. Then it ended up like a comedy sketch with the captain and my dad almost fighting over the throttle. But at the end of the day, it was the flight engineer who had the final say.
  • pippahall11
    Options
    So are they not eligible to claim?
  • blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Angie1964 wrote: »
    I sent an email to my tour operator who phoned to say it is not them I need to request a claim for a delayed flight but I have to go to the European Flight Delay Court website.
    Can anyone tell me if that is right or am I being passed around until I get fed up.

You need to claim against the airline who took you on the (I assume) package flight)

More details would be nice.

Look at the links I posted (click on the blue words)for answers to FAQ's
  • blindman
    Options
    rusty_frog wrote: »
    Hi,
    After reading and trying to digest all info. given on some 134 pages, I am now writing adapting a template provided by Centipede.
    A BIG thank you!

Does anyone have the name of Thomas Cook Airlines company secretary?

Not sure why you need the name

Their address is here
    The Company Secretary
    Thomas Cook Airlines Limited
    The Thomas Cook Business Park
    Coningsby Road
    Peterborough
    PE3 8SB
  • blindman
    Options
    doz123 wrote: »
    I have read all the information on delayed flights and I wonder if it is worth me trying to claim.

My flight TCX908L to Santorini on 31st August 2010 from Manchester was delayed for 8 hours due to a technical fault I was told, but then on my return journey 14th September 2010 Flight TCX908L that flight was delayed 7 hours. I did write a few letters to Thomas Cook but to no avail.

Sadly I do not have their reply letters as I had given up hope of any compensation I only my email to them. I do have the holiday booking reference.

Can anyone advise me.

If you have the booking reference you should be able to claim for both delays.

You need to find out what they say caused the delay.
  • blindman
    Options
    gazman1966 wrote: »
    Advice Guys.
    we were delayed 18 hours on an easy jet flight out of mallorca on 22.10.06 to Glasgow.This attracted media attention as Michelle Mone was on the flight.

And she is ??:D

not allowed to post links but received widespread coverage in the press
    The delay was due to a problem with the plane and it took 18 hours to send a replacement.there was five of us

Must have been an empty plane

and we were badly treated but received no compensation .Ive looked at the manual and some of the thread,has anybody any advice on dealing with Easy Jet .

You need to find out what they say was the reason for the delay.
  • blindman
    Options
    Hi guys,

They were delayed in total for 3 and a half hours,

My question is are they eligible to claim compensation?
    Any advice would be brilliant.

What was the delay at their destination? That's where the 3+ hours comes into effect.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure