Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    As Timothea states. No valid claim aagainst Delta as non EU airline from non EU airpport.
    But your Virgin flight is a valid claim.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • sagara
    sagara Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there,

We had an EU flight delay where there was a problem with the refueling equipment and all KLM flights were grounded at Amsterdam. Not sure if other flights were grounded.

Can anyone tell me - Is the re-fuelling equipment part of KLM's responsibility (so we can claim)?

Thanks,

Sagara
  • Wood296
    Options
    sagara wrote: »
    Hi there,

We had an EU flight delay where there was a problem with the refueling equipment and all KLM flights were grounded at Amsterdam. Not sure if other flights were grounded.

Can anyone tell me - Is the re-fuelling equipment part of KLM's responsibility (so we can claim)?

Thanks,

Sagara

We were also at Amsterdam Airport when this happened flying with Easyjet we were supposed to fly Friday night and couldn't get a flight until Monday afternoon. Incurred pet boarding expenses, airport parking charges and my partner lost 2 days wages. Can't claim through airline as not their fault, our insurance said we are not covered for these costs, We are also trying to find out who we an claim from!
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sagara wrote: »
    Hi there,

Thanks,

Sagara

Not directly, which just muddies the water and complicates things somewhat.

However, fuel is supplied by a 3rd party company contracted by the airline. I believe that under these circumstances you can claim from the airline and the airline can claim it back from the 3rd party supplier if they want to.

Unfortunately this part of the regulations falls into a grey area which will only be clarified when a case is taken to court or ends up at the ECJ.

I doubt an ADR company would be much help with a case like this.

Put your details into a couple of flight delay calculators, such as Bott or EUclaim, to get their opinions.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • sagara
    sagara Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the help above. That's a shame.

I should add the airline didn't offer any accommodation or food or drink - i think the staff were in a state of confusion.....

anyway I shall check, thanks

and sorry if I jumped in on someone's thread here, was supposed to be a new one!
  • IDM69
    Options
    Advice please.

My flight (Emirates) from Manchester to Dubai was cancelled after the departure time due to a engine fault. I was booked on to another flight the following day. The rescheduled flight arrived 3 hours late in Dubai. Can I claim for both or just the cancelled flight?
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    IDM69 wrote: »
    Advice please.

My flight (Emirates) from Manchester to Dubai was cancelled after the departure time due to a engine fault. I was booked on to another flight the following day. The rescheduled flight arrived 3 hours late in Dubai. Can I claim for both or just the cancelled flight?

You can for the first flight.

The second would have to be over 3 hours late at your final destination and not a continuation of the original delayed flight.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • gm786
    gm786 Posts: 12 Forumite
    edited 29 August 2019 at 11:53AM
    Options
    Apologies as I'm unable to figure out how to post as a new question so asking on this post.
    Hi All
    We (family of 4 - 2A+ 2C) were booked on a inbound Swiss flight Mumbai-Zurich-Birmingham for tomm morning 30/8 1am local time. This flight would have arrived into Birmingham at 8am local time on 30/8.We received an email morning of 29/8 that this flight is cancelled due to technical issues and were rebooked on a flight a day later Mumbai-Dubai-Birmingham with a 9 hour halt at Dubai which we refused to take. After spending 4 hours on phone they finally booked us on a flight departing on 30/8 at 9.15am local time Mumbai-Abu Dhabi--London landing at 6pm local time. We agreed that we will pay for the taxi from London to Birmingham as they had no other flights they could book as and we had to be in Birmingham for Sunday morning latest.
    In this scenario, as we are now reaching Birmingham 12 hours later than we would have on the original flight.
    Can we claim any compensation from the airline? Originally booked with Swiss Airlines.
    Thanks
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ok first things first.
    Which airline(s) were due to operate both legs of your flight?
    It doesn't matter if booked through Swiss airlines, it depends (currently) on the actual airline of your flights. So if the operating airline was not Swiss Airlines then you are not due compensation.

However, looking at flight schedules its a Swiss Airlines flight from Mumbai to Zurich.
    So, you are due:
    1. re-routing at a time suitable to you, on alternative airlines if necessary, at Swiss Airlines expense. Including costs of you getting from London to Birmingham.
    2. Compensation x4 of Euro600.
    Probably best to pay for the taxi and submit it a an expense on the website.
    Remember if your replacement flight is also delayed (Etihad?) then you maybe due additional compensation from them :)
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • gm786
    gm786 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the quick reply
    We were booked with Swiss on all Swiss flights.
    They have already reboojed us on an alternative flight with Etihad at their expense.
    We have currently agreed to pay for taxi from London Heathrow to Birmingham as they said they would only book us on London flight if we do not claim that fare. We will save the receipts and see if they reimburse for the same.
    Once we land, I will put in a claim for EUR 600 as suggested for the cancellation with Swiss.
    Fingers crossed that the Etihad flight runs as scheduled. If not, I wil look into putting in a claim for that too :) 👍
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback