🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does anyone know how to fi d the exact 'official' reason for a delay?
    The incoming flight from Liverpool was delayed by 2.5 hours ( I think due to snow at Liverpool - I'm catching that flight next week) so thats probably why you were delayed.
    I think, unless Bott online say otherwise you have no claim as were both weather related and <3 hrs delayed.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • strawberries1
    Options
    BA has offered the compensation after refusing 2ce. Thanks everyone.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    BA has offered the compensation after refusing 2ce. Thanks everyone.
    Nice one. Perseverance pays. :T
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • DEBTMONKEY1A
    DEBTMONKEY1A Posts: 1,496 Forumite
    Options
    :beer:Hi again.....thanks for the replies! OK....sorry to be dumb....but on a couple of the flight info web sites its been put 'gate arrival 2.27pm'.Now is this the EXACT moment doors open or jus the time aeroplane taxi's and ARRIVES at gate, not allowing for attaching stairs and opening door? G/F swears she actually LEFT plane at just before 2.45pm.

Also just to confuse matters 1 of the now win/fee companies said I HAD got a claim....but bottsonline said no? Also Botts said the weather at Geneva which has its fair share of snow (actually closed yesterday), according to Botts it was 'not exceptional or 'a freak event'????! Confused.com. Antony any thoughts on the above?
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,563 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    but on a couple of the flight info web sites its been put 'gate arrival 2.27pm'.Now is this the EXACT moment doors open or jus the time aeroplane taxi's and ARRIVES at gate, not allowing for attaching stairs and opening door? G/F swears she actually LEFT plane at just before 2.45pm.

as before, the flight landed at 2:21 and spent 6 mins taxi'ing to the gate, arriving/stopping at the gate at 2:27pm. It generally is a minute or two on top of that for door open. I think you would find it difficult to prove that the plane sat on the stand for over 8 minutes with nothing happening.
    by all means find a NWNF that will take this on if you can but I would not hold out for any payment especially since weather played a part in the delay
  • DEBTMONKEY1A
    DEBTMONKEY1A Posts: 1,496 Forumite
    Options
    OK.....worth banging off a template letter myself or a complete waste of time? What sort of fee would NWNF providers charge on 230 euros?
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,563 Forumite
    Options
    OK.....worth banging off a template letter myself or a complete waste of time? What sort of fee would NWNF providers charge on 230 euros?

NWNFs charge about 30% however they want easy win cases so you may struggle to find one to take it anyway
    EUClaim says -
    From an analysis of your flight data, it appears you are not entitled to compensation.
    Unfortunately you are not entitled to compensation.
    Your flight had an arrival delay of less than three hours. To be entitled to compensation under EC Regulation 261/2004 you arrival delay must be three hours or more.

I expect if you send in a claim yourself you will get one of 2 responses -
    1) not delayed over 3 hours so no compensation due (most likely response)
    2) delay due to weather so no compensation due (if you can submit evidence that doors were not opened after being sat on stand for over 8 mins)
  • timodell
    timodell Posts: 33 Forumite
    edited 5 March 2018 at 12:51PM
    Options
    BA Flight 0358 LHR to LYS 13:35 1 March cancelled by e-mail with no explanation at 20:02 on 28th Feb (after boarding card already issued) and rebooked on 07:50 on 2 March. Presumably I can claim EUR250 compensation as this seems to have been "pre-emptive consolidation" ahead of the anticipated bad weather - at that point there were no weather issues at LHR, nor were there any until late in the afternoon of the 1st March, so can't see how they can use the weather as an excuse...?
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Options
    You can claim of course but you will likely have to take the matter to small claims court to get a result. This is assuming that the cancellations were not airport mandated.
  • timodell
    timodell Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    What are the rules then when (as in this case) airlines choose to consolidate flights in order to "reduced the risk of delays" to other (long-haul) flights when bad weather is anticipated? As I understand it, many flights were cancelled last week on this basis, even though there was no operational necessity for these particular short-haul flights not to fly as weather was fine.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure