Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    RUTHIEC wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply. So does that mean we would be wasting our time trying to claim the compensation since they are not EU based?

It depends whether your affected flight was departing from an EU airport or not. If an EU airport you can still submit a claim, if a non-EU airport there is no EU261 coverage
  • caffsean
    caffsean Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello,

Have you received your payment yet? We're in the same boat - they've agreed to pay us compensation for a delay from Orlando to Stansted by not actually paid it yet.

Can anyone give some advice is there is a time limit by when they have to pay it by and can you escalate an issue like this to someone?

Thank you.
  • legal_magpie
    legal_magpie Posts: 1,194 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    caffsean wrote: »

Can anyone give some advice is there is a time limit by when they have to pay it by and can you escalate an issue like this to someon.

The longer you give them the longer they'll take.
  • suzetommo
    Options
    I was delayed 4 hr 34 with ASL France 2/9/17, I have used their online claim form and submitted the letter they handed me when I got off the aircraft which states they are responsible for delay. I still haven't heard back from them, what can I do now? I submitted the claim 3/9/17
  • twinkle007_2
    Options
    Hi

I wondered if anyone could advise which sources airlines use to determine length of delay please?

I flew with Easyjet on EZY1923 on 24/09/17 from MAN to Malaga. Our flight took off over 3.5 hours late and landed at 14:00. Our scheduled arrival time was 11:00. Different websites give different landing times.

Thanks in anticipation
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    edited 6 October 2017 at 1:35PM
    Options
    twinkle007 wrote: »
    Hi

I wondered if anyone could advise which sources airlines use to determine length of delay please?

I flew with Easyjet on EZY1923 on 24/09/17 from MAN to Malaga. Our flight took off over 3.5 hours late and landed at 14:00. Our scheduled arrival time was 11:00. Different websites give different landing times.

Thanks in anticipation

Hi twinkle007,

Hope I get better luck than you as I am on the same flight in a few days time.

I've looked at the arrival time and it's too close to call but it looks like you may have a claim. There is only one way to get an accurate time for doors open, which is the time that counts. Taxiing to the gate normally takes 4 or 5 minutes and then a couple more till the airbridge is positioned to the door. Only then can the door be opened and the delay clock then stops.

The way forward would be to make a claim via EJ and then await their refusal, at which point you can ask for it to be referred to CEDR. They can ask EJ for a copy of the flight log with the door opening time. You could ask them for that time when making your claim and it should be supplied.

P.S
    Last time I used that flight I was also delayed by over two hours.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • jetsetgem
    Options
    Hi all,

Looking for some advice on eligibility for compensation and without prejudice please.

The facts are:

Departed 50 mins late from Cancun, Captain cited that there was not enough fuel on board and we were having to refuel on the runway before take off.
    Passenger became ill and the plane was diverted to a different airport, unfortunately passenger passed away on landing.
    We were then informed by Captain that the flight needed further diversion to another airport due to crew exceeding hours.Also advised plane had refuelled.
    Landed at another airport and were given very limited information and told to take minimal belongings off the plane, we were put into an airport gate lounge and hot drinks and sandwiches were provided this was for approx 3hrs 15 mins.
    On the plane we were told the crew had been put on a flight to where we were as there was no crew nearby.
    Flight landed at Gatwick at 3pm - 7 and half hours later than planned

I appreciate that the passenger falling ill on board was very unfortunate and somewhat out of anyone's control. Would we be eligible for compensation based on the delays regarding change over of crew and the plane not having been fuelled appropriately before originally boarding?

Thanks for all advice in advance.
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    jetsetgem wrote: »
    Hi all,

Looking for some advice on eligibility for compensation and without prejudice please.

The facts are:

Departed 50 mins late from Cancun, Captain cited that there was not enough fuel on board and we were having to refuel on the runway before take off.
    Passenger became ill and the plane was diverted to a different airport, unfortunately passenger passed away on landing.
    We were then informed by Captain that the flight needed further diversion to another airport due to crew exceeding hours.Also advised plane had refuelled.
    Landed at another airport and were given very limited information and told to take minimal belongings off the plane, we were put into an airport gate lounge and hot drinks and sandwiches were provided this was for approx 3hrs 15 mins.
    On the plane we were told the crew had been put on a flight to where we were as there was no crew nearby.
    Flight landed at Gatwick at 3pm - 7 and half hours later than planned

I appreciate that the passenger falling ill on board was very unfortunate and somewhat out of anyone's control. Would we be eligible for compensation based on the delays regarding change over of crew and the plane not having been fuelled appropriately before originally boarding?

Thanks for all advice in advance.

Was it an EU airline? If not compensation wouldn't apply irrespective of the reason. The original delay was 50 mins and it sounds like the rest was caused by the knock on effect from the very unfortunate passenger that died. The passenger being taken ill was obviously completely out of the airlines control.
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    Options
    Hi jetsetgem,

There are two issues here which combined to cause the delay, your initial delay for fuel, which seems to have delayed the flight by 50 minutes.

Followed by the unfortunate incident of the PAX becoming ill. It is generally regarded that illnesses or death, which cause a diversion and, therefore, a delay are 'Extraordinary Circumstances' (EC's) beyond the control of the airline. In that case no compensation is due. This appears to have caused the vast majority of your delay.

You need to apportion how much of the delay would be considered as an EC and how much is none EC. If the none EC time comes to more than 3 hours you have a claim, provided you were on an EU airline.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    While no one can say for sure, it is likely that the medical emergency/death would have occurred in one form or another, irrespective of the initial delay.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport