Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• srikanthrv
    Options
    My flight was delayed for more than 4 hours. When i tried to claim compensation they said "was delayed because of aircraft damage which wasn’t caused by us, which prevented the aircraft operating as scheduled."

When i read the MSE forums and FAQs there was no mention of this flight damage. So I want to know if this is a valid reason for compensation or not?
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    srikanthrv wrote: »
    My flight was delayed for more than 4 hours. When i tried to claim compensation they said "was delayed because of aircraft damage which wasn’t caused by us, which prevented the aircraft operating as scheduled."

When i read the MSE forums and FAQs there was no mention of this flight damage. So I want to know if this is a valid reason for compensation or not?

No not a valid reason to deny legitimate compensation more a fob off or indeed outright lie. Report airline to the CAA and request CAA consider withholding their licence to operate. In the meantime tell them to Foxtrot Oscar and future posts should be on relevant airline thread please.
  • EGL467
    Options
    Hello

My flight to Bordeaux was cancelled by Ryanair. I then took a flight to Toulouse which landed 2 hours earlier than the scheduled flight to Bordeaux. I am wondering if I can still claim compensation as my arrival at my final destination was still more than 3 hours later than expected as I had to arrange travel from Toulouse.
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    EGL467 wrote: »
    Hello

My flight to Bordeaux was cancelled by Ryanair. I then took a flight to Toulouse which landed 2 hours earlier than the scheduled flight to Bordeaux. I am wondering if I can still claim compensation as my arrival at my final destination was still more than 3 hours later than expected as I had to arrange travel from Toulouse.

Hi EGL467,

Probably.

How much notice did RA give you prior to the cancellation?

Have RA agreed to pay your onward costs to travel from Toulouse to Bordeaux?
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • Becciboo1981
    Options
    Had a delayed flight coming back to Stansted from Zante in August. Complained via their online form which was easy enough. Got an email fairly quickly back saying I was entitled to compensation and they'd initiated a BACS payment of £1500 into my account and I should receive it within 10 days. The 10 days came and went so I rang and they said that had been a mistake and it should have said 28 days. I was annoyed but thought ok. Now 28 days has come and gone, I've rung again and they aren't in the least bit bothered. They tell me there is nothing wrong on their end, we've checked the a/c number and sort code and that's right and just to wait. Does this mean they have an infinite amount of time to pay me? Not sure what my next step is? Any help would be appreciated.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    you don't mention the airline but there is likely a thread for that airline. If you read the last few pages of the thread you should get an idea if this is typical and how long others have waited, what they did etc
  • darylcarter58
    Options
    Hi we were due to fly to Orlando on Saturday 9th September but due to hurricaine irma i could see our flight would get cancelled so on the Thursday 7th i rang the airline (Norweigen) to re arrange the flights for September the 14th, They did this free of charge. On Friday 8th September Norweigen cancelled the original flight which i new was coming! I have travel insurance with American Express and they said earlier in that week that i was covered with the hurricaine. Im wondering if i am able to claim back some money from my TRAVEL insurance not the airline as i had to re arrange my hotel and it cost us about £500 more to do this am i covered for a cancelled flight? i have american express silver cover if any one is familiar and under what code would i claim. Thanks for any help really apprieciated.
  • RUTHIEC
    RUTHIEC Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Hi we booked our holiday with Thomson and paid Thomson but they changed our flight to Freebird which is a Turkish based airline. The flight home was delayed over 5 hours and Thomson say it's not their issue we have to take it up with Freebird. Surely if we paid Thomson our contract was with them? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    RUTHIEC wrote: »
    Hi we booked our holiday with Thomson and paid Thomson but they changed our flight to Freebird which is a Turkish based airline. The flight home was delayed over 5 hours and Thomson say it's not their issue we have to take it up with Freebird. Surely if we paid Thomson our contract was with them? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

It's the operating carrier that is responsible, so what Thomson are telling you is correct. It makes no difference who your contract is with.
  • RUTHIEC
    RUTHIEC Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. So does that mean we would be wasting our time trying to claim the compensation since they are not EU based?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback