Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• I understand that the amounts you can claim for a delayed or cancelled flight are determined by flight distance (and cancellation notice period), but what happens when there is a long delay? I just came back from Hamburg to Manhcester (UK), which is a light distance of less than 1500 km. We were told that our flight had been cancelled around half an hour before boarding - we were in the departures lounge at the time. EasyJet would only provide us with replacement flights 48 hours after our original flight - so we were stuck at Hamburg airport for two days! Do the EU directives take account of how long you were delayed?
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    No. 4 hours or 48 hours, same compe. However, 48 hours is unreasonable, so you could have requested rerouting with Ej but different route. They probably wouldn't have done either. You can request a refund on your unused ticket, make your own arrangements and reclaim the difference from EJ. I bet they didn't give you that in written or verbal notice? All assuming the cancellation was not an EC.
    I presume EJ found and paid for your accommodation and meals over those 48 hours?
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • foxpro
    Options
    For a long time I was seeing advice from MSE to claim for flight delays, but had virtually no evidence that I was on the flight, back in 2012. So I didn't think I had a chance. The flight was BA from Heathrow to JFK and met the maximum distance for claims and the delay was 12 hours due to an engine fault.The flight departed on time and traveled almost to the half way point before u-turning to return to Heathrow. BA gave us £10 vouchers each at the airport while we waited for a replacement aircraft.
    Cutting a long story short I only had a brief itinerary from the original booking that was relating mainly to the included cruise from NY with only a couple of lines stating the flight number and arrival/destination airports and a separate email copy confirmation for extra baggage purchase.
    I recently decided to use the claim template here and sent what I had. By the 14 days deadline I heard nothing and thought they were ignoring me. After a further 2 weeks I received a letter from BA apologising for the delay in responding and also apologising for the original flight delay. They informed me that I would be receiving the full amount (600 euros) for me and my wife and a cheque for 1200 euros would follow shortly.
    I decided to post this for anyone who may also think they have 'insufficient' evidence.
  • Justice13075
    Options
    :j:j:j:T:T:T:j:j:j
  • Helenabaker1
    Options
    We flew from Birmingham to dalaman on 29th July, with Thomas cook, had a 5 and half hour delay, no explanation as to why there was a delay. The next day I filled in a complaint form direct with Thomas cook, two weeks later we got £1095 back in compensation.
  • Justice13075
    Options
    How many of you were there
  • Johnharry
    Options
    If the weather conditions delay your flight for more than a day is there an argument for compensation?
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Johnharry wrote: »
    If the weather conditions delay your flight for more than a day is there an argument for compensation?
    weather delays are extraordinary circumstances so no compensation payable. However, the airline will need to provide Duty of Care for the duration of the delay
  • Aced2016
    Options
    Wondering if anyone can help. Booked a package holiday through BA from Edinburgh to New York. Flight had a BA number etc however was AA plane. I was delayed over 3.5 hours last week due to maintenance. Can I claim from BA ? And does anyone know how much, Google seems to have so much different information !

Thankyou
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Aced2016 wrote: »
    Wondering if anyone can help. Booked a package holiday through BA from Edinburgh to New York. Flight had a BA number etc however was AA plane. I was delayed over 3.5 hours last week due to maintenance. Can I claim from BA ? And does anyone know how much, Google seems to have so much different information !

Thankyou
    Download and read Vauban's superb and, some might say, definitive guide.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport