Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    also worth checking your travel insurance delay section, there is often a token amount there...eg £20 for each 12 hour delay or similar..
  • Kernowanya
    Options
    Hi
    Our flight last night was cancelled from berlin S to Luton. Easyjet were as helpful as a chocolate fireguard and just handed out leaflets. No Explanation, no compassion...the response was tough you will have to find your own way back. Admittedly they did put people up in a hotel, but there were many of us who needed to get back. We tried to get on the next fight (no flights available tis thursday!!!!!!!) So me & my OH booked ourself onto a BA flight from another berlin airport to heathrow.
    I know we can claim back the flight cost as we were told that last night, but can I get the cost of the hotel we were meant to stay in in Luton last night, which we missed due to being stranded?
    Twas a fun night!
  • akf1006
    akf1006 Posts: 135 Forumite
    Options
    I was delayed recently >24 hours flying from Larnaca to Manchester, due to 'something' hitting the aircrafts engine when landing. This is obviously due to procedures not being followed as the airstrip should be clear of debris at all times. We weren't given any food or drink at all until we were transferred to a hotel and that was 5-6 hours after we should have taken off! I have raised a claim with Thomson around three weeks ago using the resolver tool and heard nothing since. How long should I wait before escalating?
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    akf1006 wrote: »
    I was delayed recently >24 hours flying from Larnaca to Manchester, due to 'something' hitting the aircrafts engine when landing. This is obviously due to procedures not being followed as the airstrip should be clear of debris at all times. We weren't given any food or drink at all until we were transferred to a hotel and that was 5-6 hours after we should have taken off! I have raised a claim with Thomson around three weeks ago using the resolver tool and heard nothing since. How long should I wait before escalating?

Hi akf1006,

I would escalate now, they have had time to reply.

If that 'something' hitting the aircraft was a bird, then it will be considered as an 'extraordinary circumstance' and no compensation will be due.

However, you are due a 'duty of care' so if you bought anything to eat or drink while you were waiting you can claim that back along with relevant receipts.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • Lynthejock
    Options
    Having now sought advise from this brilliant forum I have got my letter all ready to send to the airline seeking compensation for flight delay of 5hrs and 55 mins. Try to find address of ASL Airlines France online and only French address so go to Thompson who my mum and dad dealt with for the flight and subsequent cruise following the flight. They only have email address so I send my letter off through email and it bounces back. I get in touch with Thompson so they try and it also bounces back. Thompson say theres nothing we can do. Eh?? They are dealing with an airline company they cant get in touch with. Anyone have any UK addresses or emails for ASL airlines france. It is part of the ASL group based in Ireland.
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    They're a French airline so not surprising their contact address is in France. They are part of the ASL Aviation Group, but the French airline is a separate airline to the Irish one so no good contacting them. ASL France have got a claims form on their website.
  • scolston
    scolston Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 6 September 2017 at 8:21AM
    Options
    I am in exactly the same position. I used the Resolver tool (very good!) and the Spanish regulator eventually found in my favour but Iberia will not acknowledge it. How do I get them to pay? There are no 'Claims' companies able to take it on (no jurisdiction or similar) so I do not know what to do next. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I see that another forum member used the services of a lawyer in Spain but costs could not be recovered.

Thanks.
  • scolston
    scolston Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 6 September 2017 at 2:29PM
    Options
    Iberia is not listed on the 'Flight Delay Compensation' / 'Make a claim' list so I am letting you know as suggested.

Unable to post a link, sorry.

Thanks.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,546 Forumite
    Options
    scolston wrote: »
    How do I get them to pay?

court probably - have a read of "Vauban's Guide"
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    scolston wrote: »
    I am in exactly the same position. I used the Resolver tool (very good!) and the Spanish regulator eventually found in my favour but Iberia will not acknowledge it. How do I get them to pay? There are no 'Claims' companies able to take it on (no jurisdiction or similar) so I do not know what to do next. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I see that another forum member used the services of a lawyer in Spain but costs could not be recovered.

Thanks.

http://www.retrasos.net/contacto/

BUT....watch their costs ~ better to do yourself.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback