Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• summerishere11
    Options
    Thank you for the quick reply Gaz3121 :)
  • travelerjohn
    Options
    I hope I am doing the right thing posting here. I have already posted a new thread under LATAM airline but hope I can get replies to a general question of how to RECEIVE compensation once it is granted. I have an email from the airline accepting that they will give me compensation for a cancelled flight but no secure https site to send details of my bank to send the transfer to. They require me to send these details by reply to their email. I don't think that is very secure. Would it be any more secure to send the details with the email from the customer services person attached via the resolver tool?
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Miserable story for the couple concerned - but I post to illustrate the sheer uselessness of the CAA (who, in case you need reminding, are meant to be the National Enforcement Body for the UK):

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/jun/25/ba-debacle-delays-problems-getting-redress
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why don't they take Iberia to court seems pretty straight forward to me.
  • 32b3in2013
    32b3in2013 Posts: 2,440 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Success - at the beginning of June my friends and I were delayed by 4 hours and 12 minutes coming home from Budapest to London. I put the details for all of us into Martin's helpful link and the airline (Norwegian) replied within 3-4 days saying that we were entitled to compensation and that I should give them bank details to pay the money into. It took 5 minutes to complete the claim and we will be receiving €250 each. The flights cost £70 each return.

32b3
    SPC9 #125 - £816.85
    SPC10 #125 - £851.81
    SPC 11 #7 - £968.46
    SPC 12 #7 - £2682.90
    SPC 13 #7 - £4829.85
    SPC 14 #7 - £4173.30
  • pcyuljr
    pcyuljr Posts: 115 Forumite
    Options
    Hello,

I have previously claimed compensation for my parents, so I am not a complete newbie. However, my own situation is quite different and I would appreciate any discussion/advice around it.

On Saturday 17th June my departure time from Manchester Airport to Thessalonika (Greece) was delayed for 2hrs 50 minutes. This was due to the aircraft, when we had all boarded, getting a burst rear tyre as we were taxing due to debris around the aircraft. We had to all get off and the company get another aircraft.

We were due to land in Greece between 6pm and 6.30pm.

After the delayed departure, we arrived at Thessaloniki (late obviously) but were then unable to land due to the wind. The pilot did attempt one landing, but aborted and then decided to not try again. As such we were diverted to Athens airport, finally landing with doors open at about 10pm. Thus 4 hrs later and at a different airport than we should have done.

We were put up overnight in Athens by Jet2 and the following day, flew back to Thessaloniki finally arriving with doors open at 1.40pm.

Thus we arrived at our correct airport about 19hrs after we should have done due to a mixture of issues.

Can anybody please provide some guidance or thoughts on these various issues as overall we lost a day of our holiday. Both of us also have travel insurance.

(Of note we were also delayed 2hrs upon returning, but that's an aside...I think)

Many thanks.
  • LondonGirl566
    LondonGirl566 Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 26 June 2017 at 10:07AM
    Options
    Dear all,

Thank you in advance for your help. My recent flight was delayed for 3hrs and 45mins (what we were told was due to technical fault). I wrote an email to them requesting the compensation but they very quickly came back with the explanation that the circumnstance in fact WAS extraordinary:

“EXTRAORDINARY CIRCUMSTANCES: events which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures have been taken, such as but not limited to cases of acts of God; political instability; meteorological conditions incompatible with the operation of the flight concerned; security risks, strikes; unexpected flight safety shortcomings and air traffic management decisions which, in relation to a particular aircraft on a particular day give rise to a long delay or the cancellation of one or more flights by that aircraft.”

We are also deeply sorry, that we could not predict how long would it take to depart and this flight delay was outside of our control.

Regarding to your letter we would like to inform you that our company does not agree to the concept that passengers with delayed flight should be treated equally with those whose flight was cancelled, as this is not in any way implied by the operative EU Regulation 261/2004. Because of the above mentioned reason we cannot issue compensation for you according to EURegulation 261/2004.

So i am guessing it all now depends on whether this delay was or wasnt a special circumnstance... can anyone advise?

Many thanks!
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,551 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    try putting your flight details into the free NWNF flight checkers such as EUClaim and bottonline...and see whether they agree with the airline position. If they both say you have a claim then have a read of Vauban's Guide and issue a NBA
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dear all,

Thank you in advance for your help. My recent flight was delayed for 3hrs and 45mins (what we were told was due to technical fault). I wrote an email to them requesting the compensation but they very quickly came back with the explanation that the circumnstance in fact WAS extraordinary:

“EXTRAORDINARY CIRCUMSTANCES: events which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures have been taken, such as but not limited to cases of acts of God; political instability; meteorological conditions incompatible with the operation of the flight concerned; security risks, strikes; unexpected flight safety shortcomings and air traffic management decisions which, in relation to a particular aircraft on a particular day give rise to a long delay or the cancellation of one or more flights by that aircraft.”

We are also deeply sorry, that we could not predict how long would it take to depart and this flight delay was outside of our control.

Regarding to your letter we would like to inform you that our company does not agree to the concept that passengers with delayed flight should be treated equally with those whose flight was cancelled, as this is not in any way implied by the operative EU Regulation 261/2004. Because of the above mentioned reason we cannot issue compensation for you according to EURegulation 261/2004.

So i am guessing it all now depends on whether this delay was or wasnt a special circumnstance... can anyone advise?

Many thanks!
    This statement is completely specious as Sturgeon case deemed delays and cancellations were, for reg 261/2004, the same.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    LondonGirl556,

Which airline is this?

You should report them to the CAA for none compliance. They cannot pick which parts of a law they are willing to accept or reject.

The CAA will be all over them like a rash;)

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback