Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Liz_Bradly
    Options
    My British Airways flight BA 0094 9.40pm from Montreal to Heathrow on 27th May was cancelled due to outbound flight from Heathrow being cancelled. I had already checked in via BA App overnight and was in posession of boarding pass. I had no information from BA and only found out about the cancellation by monitoring news and live arrivals / departures at Pierre Trudeau airport. When I was eventually able to log into manage my booking (early hours 28th May)I found BA had automatically booked me onto the same flight number BA0094 9.40pm 24 hours later - 28th May. Can you advise am I entitled to claim compensation as I was outside of Europe.
    Many thanks - Liz
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Liz_Bradly wrote: »
    Can you advise am I entitled to claim compensation as I was outside of Europe.
    Many thanks - Liz

Yes you are ....€600 ....post should be on dedicated BA thread. BA also had a duty of care to look after you (hotel/food etc) during the 24 hour period.

Vauban's Guide if you want chapter and verse (Google to find) but should be fairly straightforward claim to BA although they will be inundated at the moment.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,055 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    SROBH wrote: »
    What is the situation if you miss a flight due to Airport delays? Let's say you check in on line the day before and have only cabin luggage. You arrive at the airport two hours before the flight is due to leave. Then the fun starts. Huge queues to get through security meaning you are denied boarding because you are too late. This scenario (plus airport staff assuring people they would not miss their flight - but the same staff doing little to manage the situation) is largely what happened to a relative of mine.

The airline says tough - you got to the gate too late.

As I understand it your contract is with the airline. The Airport acts as an agent for the Airline so there is no contractual link between the passenger and the Airport. I can only think a claim would have to be made under the civil tort of negligence - perhaps via small claims?

As it stands it seems to me that Airports can treat passengers very poorly and have little few of immediate legal redress.
    I don't know, but when our local airport has been manically busy (queues just to enter security snaking back down the stairs) I have heard them calling passengers for various flights forward, presumably in an effort to ensure people don't miss flights. So maybe some airports are better than others at looking after people when things are very busy.

However, I've now got to the stage where I will pre-book fast track security just to minimise queuing. I think I've always managed to get it at a discounted price and with cashback, so minimal spend for a less stressful start to our holiday. I know there is no guarantee of not having to queue, but it's been brilliant so far.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • A.Hamid
    A.Hamid Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 2 June 2017 at 10:19AM
    Options
    Hi All,

I've recently used the Resolver website to see if I could claim money back for flight delays.
    The flight was with Pakistani airlines and was delayed 12hours leaving from Birmingham.

Using the resolver site I used the template and after 2 days they have replied back with the following:

Dear Mr ****
    This refers to your complaint of PK-792 dated 23 rd March, 2017.

We are extremely sorry for the trouble that you and your co-travelers had to face due to flight delayed at Birmingham Airport.

Kindly contact our London office through your legal representative (along with all relevant documents for claim settlement at your earliest convenience) on the following address:

Profile West, 950 Great West Road, Brantford, Middlesex TW8 9ES

*****************************************************************************
    I'm a bit confused now does this mean that I just need to forward the relevant paper work or do I have to approach them via a legal representative.

all help would be appreciated.
    thanks in advance.
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A.Hamid wrote: »
    Hi All,

I've recently used the Resolver website to see if I could claim money back for flight delays.
    The flight was with Pakistani airlines and was delayed 12hours leaving from Birmingham.

Using the resolver site I used the template and after 2 days they have replied back with the following:

Dear Mr ****
    This refers to your complaint of PK-792 dated 23 rd March, 2017.

We are extremely sorry for the trouble that you and your co-travelers had to face due to flight delayed at Birmingham Airport.

Kindly contact our London office through your legal representative (along with all relevant documents for claim settlement at your earliest convenience) on the following address:

Profile West, 950 Great West Road, Brantford, Middlesex TW8 9ES

*****************************************************************************
    I'm a bit confused now does this mean that I just need to forward the relevant paper work or do I have to approach them via a legal representative.

all help would be appreciated.
    thanks in advance.

Hi,

No you don't have to use a legal representative, just send them your details as requested.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • A.Hamid
    Options
    thank you very much, would it be safe to send all this by post?
  • Tyzap
    Options
    A.Hamid wrote: »
    thank you very much, would it be safe to send all this by post?

H,

In this day and age you should be able to use email, but in the absence of a valid address you could use snail mail, but don't send any original documents, just send copies.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,851 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you are brave enough to fly PIA at all, you should be OK using the UK postal system!
  • Tyzap
    Options
    I'm very surprised that we don't see far more enquiries about PIA, given their very poor on time arrival stats. Particularly into Man.
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,851 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    PIA of course have no liability under EU261 on arrivals into the UK being a non UK airline.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback