Who Does/Does Not Accept Amex?

Options

Comments

• RichyRich
    RichyRich Posts: 2,090 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    G-Pinn wrote: »
    Why is it harder for businesses to accept Amex??

Because the merchant fees are higher.
    [STRIKE] [/STRIKE]
    To add to the list of recent declines:-

The Fragrance Shop (Bradford, Kirkgate branch) does NOT accept AMEX.
    Peacocks (Bradford, Forster Sq. branch) does NOT accept AMEX.

And a recent (unlikely) acceptance

J. D. Wetherspoon pubs DO accept AMEX on food related orders.
    #145 Save £12k in 2016 Challenge: £12,062.62/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £5,027.78 CHALLENGE MET
    #060 Save £12k in 2017 Challenge: £11,03.70/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £12,976.79 Shortfall: £996.30:eek:
    This is the secret message.
  • Molescroft
    Molescroft Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    ih8stress wrote: »
    Is Amex the best card to go for at the moment then? I'm after buying a gas fire and new suite in the near future. I've just tried applying for the barclaycard one but am an existing customer, so don't qualify.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

I would say Amex would be best if the stores you want to purchase from accept it. Probably best to check with them first.We find our card accepted most places and manage to get about 80% of our regular expenditure on it with little problem. Our regular "no's" come from Costa Coffee, buying cinema tickets and renewing insurance policies. For these we have an M&S card which gathers points (use Amex in M&S stores though) and converts to money off vouchers once a quarter - usually enough for a nice M&S treat!
  • RichyRich
    RichyRich Posts: 2,090 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Molescroft wrote: »
    renewing insurance policies.

That reminds me,

A futher recent NO came from Yes! Car Insurance!
    #145 Save £12k in 2016 Challenge: £12,062.62/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £5,027.78 CHALLENGE MET
    #060 Save £12k in 2017 Challenge: £11,03.70/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £12,976.79 Shortfall: £996.30:eek:
    This is the secret message.
  • Niemand
    Niemand Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    My Amex was declined by Pizza Hut yesterday. The waiter told me they stopped taking them about three weeks ago.
    Niemand
  • ali1972
    ali1972 Posts: 599 Forumite
    Options
    Poundstretcher (or at least my local one) are a NO (yes, I was pushing my luck there wasn't I? All in the pursuit of BA Miles!! The following independent and local shops (London) are also currently No, despite being rather expensive retailers:

Terre D'Oc
    Daunt Books
    Cath Kidston
    Hope and Greenwood

However the following are YES:

The Pier
    Southeastern (trains)
    Rymans
    HMV
    Boots
    WH Smiths
    Tesco
    Dixons (Gatwick Airport Branch)
    M& S
    Field and Trek
    John Lewis (Oxford St)
    Pizzaexpress
    Sainsbury
    Pasta Brown
    Emma Bridgewater (Marylebone High St)
    Starbucks
    Amazon
    Odeon
    Cafe Rouge
    Superdrug
    Debenhams
    Gap
    Next
    Speedo Shop (Neal St)
    Bodyshop
    Giraffe
    Pauls
    Yeah, whatever. I'm a grown up, I can take it...
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I really should ask for a discount when I shop at an establishment that takes Amex. I'll offer then my Amex card or my Visa Debit card for 3.5% off!
    The man without a signature.
  • compmad1
    compmad1 Posts: 995 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    If you use an ordinary Tesco Clubcard you get 1 point for a pound spent. (= 4% when used on deals). If, however, you use a Tesco Mastercard you still only get the same number of points. I rang to clarify this today. I realise that I might as well use an Amex card to pay + also get points by using the ordinary Tesco Clubcard. There is no benefit to be had over using the Tesco Mastercard as opposed to an ordinary clubcard. I have lost a lot of money this year by thinking you got even more points when you used the credit card.
  • Niemand
    Options
    compmad1 wrote: »
    ... There is no benefit to be had over using the Tesco Mastercard as opposed to an ordinary clubcard. I have lost a lot of money this year by thinking you got even more points when you used the credit card.

When I got my Amex card in April this year my wife and I used it everywhere we could, including Tesco and Sainsbury's. As you know, in Tesco you can pay by Amex (and get the 5% off during the offer period) and also get your Clubcard points (1 point per £1 as you point out).

Regarding the Tesco Mastercard: on the MoneyExpert: Clubcard MasterCard page, it says you get 5 points for every £4 spent in Tesco stores, and 1 point for every £4 spent elsewhere. From that, it appears you do get slightly more on the Tesco MasterCard than on a normal Tesco Credit Card.
    Niemand
  • compmad1
    compmad1 Posts: 995 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Niemand wrote: »
    When I got my Amex card in April this year my wife and I used it everywhere we could, including Tesco and Sainsbury's. As you know, in Tesco you can pay by Amex (and get the 5% off during the offer period) and also get your Clubcard points (1 point per £1 as you point out).

Regarding the Tesco Mastercard: on the MoneyExpert: Clubcard MasterCard page, it says you get 5 points for every £4 spent in Tesco stores, and 1 point for every £4 spent elsewhere. From that, it appears you do get slightly more on the Tesco MasterCard than on a normal Tesco Credit Card.

Thanks. Do you know if you get 5% with Amex for the first 3 months of every new year, or is it a one off for just the first year that you join?

Also, I spoke to a clubcard person today. I have got a Tesco Finest Platinum Mastercard. Apparently new customers are not being offered this any more. I have got to get out my paper work to check this, but I was told that you get 1 point per £1 spent in Tesco and 1 point for £2 spent elsewhere.
    They are doing a Tesco Clubcard credit card now which gives the points as you have said.
  • Niemand
    Options
    compmad1 wrote: »
    Thanks. Do you know if you get 5% with Amex for the first 3 months of every new year, or is it a one off for just the first year that you join?

It's a one-off offer for new customers. You will get the cashback on the Card Anniversary Date, for the preceding 12 months.
    Niemand
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport