Who Does/Does Not Accept Amex?

Options

Comments

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,631 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why don,t the small guys accept amex ?

I've heard that the costs are extortionate.
  • frugallady_2
    Options
    I've got one of the cashback Amex cards that were recommended, but seem to battle a lot with getting people to accept it, was wondering if that's why they can offer cashback, cos it's not *that* widely accepted anyway?!?

Okay in the usual places, but anywhere different I try it doesn't work. I keep trying to use it in Wilkinsons cos I forget and it can't be used there :-)

I do use it as my paypal card though, everything is put through in USD but I'm assuming it's okay and I should be earning cashback as a result.

Does anybody know what month Amex credits cashback?
    Started paying off debt in Sept 07, inspired by this website :-) Almost 7.7k debt, now 2.9k (end of June 08):T
    Main things we've been doing:
    interest free cards, cashback cards, store's one brand groceries, just getting what we need
    *can't wait until I'm debtfree! Should be by November!*
  • Laxe
    Laxe Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    mzqa395 wrote: »
    First travel Shop Domino Pizza not accept Amex

Actually Dominos Pizza do accept Amex. I know because I've paid for pick from them twice with my card in the past month. :beer:

And to frugallady: Amex deposits the cashback annually.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,631 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    was wondering if that's why they can offer cashback, cos it's not *that* widely accepted anyway?!?

Their fees are high.
    I find I can use it 80% of the time, but it depends on where you shop.
    If you shop in small places and discount places (lidls, aldi, pound shop) then you are likely to find it declined.
    Most petrol stations, supermarkets, big stores will accept it.

The anniversary of you opening your card.
    So if you opened your card March 2007 then you'll get cashback March 2008, but do NOT close it until then.
  • Niemand
    Niemand Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    frugallady wrote: »

Were you sent a copy of the Credit Card Agreement when you signed-up for the card? Para. 17.2 says "The rebate will only be paid by us each Card anniversary Date on the expenditure that has taken place during the preceding 12 months..

I see that lisyloo has responded as well.
    Niemand
  • Niemand
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    Their fees are high.
    I find I can use it 80% of the time, but it depends on where you shop.
    If you shop in small places and discount places (lidls, aldi, pound shop) then you are likely to find it declined.

Be aware too that some Lidl stores do not accept any credit cards (so your backup credit card will be of no use).
    Niemand
  • blushingbride_3
    blushingbride_3 Posts: 1,043 Forumite
    Options
    hi
    does this card work in tesco etc? as i guess it would be better to use this for 3months and get than tesco points?

Katie
    :money:
  • Niemand
    Options
    does this card work in tesco etc? as i guess it would be better to use this for 3months and get than tesco points?

Yes Katie, it is accepted in Tesco stores. My wife and I have been using it in there and Sainsbury's since I got the card in April. Also, it can be used in their fuel (petrol/diesel) garages to get that extra 5% off (with a 5p a litre discount voucher it reduces it further).

Regarding Tesco points: each pound gets you a point, which is worth a penny. A Clubcard deals increases the value by four times, so it's worth 4p; therefore, you can look on it as 4% 'cashback'. It depends on whether you use the Clubcard deals.

You won't get the 5% cashback from Amex until the first card anniversary date.
    Niemand
  • ih8stress
    ih8stress Posts: 1,933 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Is Amex the best card to go for at the moment then? I'm after buying a gas fire and new suite in the near future. I've just tried applying for the barclaycard one but am an existing customer, so don't qualify.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
  • G-Pinn
    G-Pinn Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Why is it harder for businesses to accept Amex??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure