We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Who Does/Does Not Accept Amex?

Options

Comments

• 1jim
    1jim Posts: 2,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    to be honest, I have had the amex red card for about a year now. Most places I seem to shop accept this card, yes, a few places do not accept it but I use my other credit card as a fall back and I dont really have a problem with that
  • Purple_Peril
    Options
    I've had an Amex Blue card for years and found most places accept it - those that don't tend to be the ones working on smaller margins (as Amex charges a higher merchant fee than MasterCard/Visa).

I don't use the Amex card now (as CapitalOne gives better cashback) and will close it in July, after I get my cashback.
  • daveram13
    daveram13 Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    Amex is allowed in Iceland shops but never works on the chip & Pin machine. I have written to the head office almost a year ago and they said they would fix thie problem but to date nothing has changed. If you try using Amex then you will cause a big fuss and the cashier will call the manager to approve a swipe and sign method. This annoys everyone the customer, the cashier, the manager and everyone in the queue! and yet Iceland still do nothing about it.
  • scl_2
    scl_2 Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    Recently got an American express platinum card
    I've used it no problem at Tesco in store, but it gets refused when trying to shop with Tesco online
    Anyone else had this problem?
  • Budget_mum
    Budget_mum Posts: 96 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I work for Harvester Restaurants and we do accept Amex :beer:
  • taxi73
    taxi73 Posts: 20,815 Forumite
    Options
    Sports Direct shops take it as well as I used mine there today.
  • Niemand
    Niemand Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    scl wrote: »
    Recently got an American express platinum card
    I've used it no problem at Tesco in store, but it gets refused when trying to shop with Tesco online
    Anyone else had this problem?

Its non-acceptance at Tesco Online is mentioned in the first message in this Topic (Tesco.net).
    Niemand
  • 1jim
    1jim Posts: 2,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have used my amex red card for tesco.com have bought from the tesco food online shop as well as on the tesco books/cds/toys part
  • zkw29
    zkw29 Posts: 176 Forumite
    Options
    Direct Line now accept AMEX over the phone
  • Swans1912
    Swans1912 Posts: 1,658 Forumite
    Options
    Pets At Home do NOT!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories