taxi73 Posts: 20,815 Forumite
    Options
    lidls don't take ccs
  • JontyII
    Options
    Oops I forgot that - thanks
  • chodges84
    Options
    I'm not sure if this counts as self promotion (please remove my post is so) but we accept AMEX at www.portable-power.co.uk

I know it doesn't show it in the little block of cards on the left, but it is an available option to pay and people do use it.

However, processing AMEX cards is much more costly than normal crdeit cards. Visa and Mastercard cost us 1.99% and AMEX costs us about 3.5%. The only reason I took it on was because it was a special offer that Protx (our card processor) were running a special offer when I signed up with them about 18 months ago. Worldpay who I previously used to process cards wanted nearer 5%. They settle transactions as soon as they are made, but this was part of the offer. Usually its once a week.

I understand there are some quite good incentives to using AMEX, but they should bring their processing costs down and maybe more retailers would accept it.

In case anyone is interested there is a chapter in Jeremy Clarksons book 'And another thing' where he obtains an AMEX black card and can't use it for anything.
  • ericajones80
    Options
    I personally steer clear of AMEX...the incentives aren't worth anything if I cant use it. There's about 10 grocery stores around me and none take AMEX
  • Tweetinat
    Options
    chodges84 wrote: »
    I understand there are some quite good incentives to using AMEX, but they should bring their processing costs down and maybe more retailers would accept it.

If you call Amex and explain that you're dissatisfied with the fee, they should be able to discuss alternatives that will reduce it. You will probably be expected to extend your payment window (i.e. how long it takes for you to actually receive your money from them) but the discounts can be quite good. While you're there, also ask them to check that you have the correct rate applied to your account (i.e. that they've logged your business 'type' in the correct category). Different types of retailers pay different rates but they sometimes have people classified incorrectly.
  • Huw333
    Huw333 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    I received my AMEX card a couple of weeks ago and tried yesterday to use it in dominos pizza. Even though it had the AMEX logo on their menus, they told me they didnt accept it. Can anyone confirm this?
  • GoodRiddance
    Options
    Do NCP Car Parks Automated ticket machines accept AMEX ?
    I spend £6.80 a day on car park tickets. Sometimes £12 a day if its raining alot. Thats about £1600 a year :eek:
  • BrunoM
    BrunoM Posts: 1,722 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    NCP car parks do take AmEx.

Dominos don't take AmEx online, but if their store is displaying the logo and they're refusing to take it all you can do really is point to the sign and challenge it.
  • Geeves1980
    Geeves1980 Posts: 231 Forumite
    Options
    I really wish I had known that so many places do not take this new Amex cashback card I've received today. Most of the things I was going to pay for it with, I have just discovered I can't use it! :mad:
  • Facetious_2
    Options
    I've had much the same problem since getting my Platinum Amex at the beginning of the month. The first two times - IKEA and Pizza Hut - I got knocked back, so I've been carrying my Capital One card as a back up.

The trouble with my card is they've given me such a measly limit (700) that it's not going to cover the items I've been waiting to buy. I wanted to order a telly yesterday so I phoned Amex to see if my limit could be increased slightly. They said it would be reviewed after 6 months, which is very convenient for them as the cashback offer will be so much lower by then. Capital One, on the other hand gave me a limit of 7000. What's that all about? The only thing I've put it down to is Amex making sure they don't have to pay cashback of more than 35 quid a month. Swines.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure