Who Does/Does Not Accept Amex?

Options

Comments

• Scrilla
    Scrilla Posts: 242 Forumite
    Options
    Iona21 wrote: »
    Hi How long did it take to get your Amex card? This site says 3 weeks the Amex site says 10 days! Trying to work out when to apply to cover a big spend.
    Thanks.
    I applied for mine online and got sent everything 6 days after. I must have been special, or lucky. They seem to be making a big push on advertising at the moment, so maybe I got in just as they upped their staff for processing.
  • Niemand
    Niemand Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    When I applied to American Express for a card in April this year, I got a phone call telling me I'd been accepted and I then was asked some questions (e.g., how much did I think I'd spend a month). I got the pack a few days later.
    Niemand
  • outkastchris
    Options
    GOOGLE CHECKOUT, supose it's similar to paypal, accepts amex for alot of smaller retailers, either listed on the google checkout section, or small logo on the retailers web site.

Google and Tescos to take over the world :eek:
  • hotcookie101
    hotcookie101 Posts: 2,060 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have just got my new amex, was looking to add it to paypal account, and it says this
    PayPal submits American Express transactions in USD, regardless of the currency of your transaction. If your payment or your card is not denominated in USD, we each apply currency conversion commission to the transaction. American Express will credit your American Express statement in an amount estimated to be at least equal to the fees applied to the transaction. We apologize for any inconvenience as we implement a new process to address this issue.

Will this mean I lose out on money or not? just a little confused by the wording.
  • manchestermike_2
    Options
    I will not take AMEX through any of my businesses. Nor will I have one.

Nothing to do with their customer service, more the complete and utter disregard of any customer service at all.
  • brightonman123
    Options
    when i worked at amex (many moons ago), they had a hard time getting shops to take it up..

didnt seem to realise (or accept) that the main objections was their charges, compared to visa/m'carc etc..

but their thinking was amex users are more likely to buy high value ticket items, so shops gain extra turnover? but if working in any business, i guess a card is a card, is a card..

and if your were minted, would have large enough lines of credit anyway.

a suggestion to target just one chain, so that others would follow, fell on draf ears.. until i surveryed almost every shop in the town!
    Long time away from MSE, been dealing real life stuff..
    Sometimes seen lurking on the compers forum :-)
  • cedrickerry
    Options
    Scrilla wrote: »
    I applied for mine online and got sent everything 6 days after. I must have been special, or lucky. They seem to be making a big push on advertising at the moment, so maybe I got in just as they upped their staff for processing.

Me too . . . .started spendin and earning cashback within a week!:D
    2009 total raised £2373.60:j
    the new garden beat me in 2010 just £1306.66:o
    2011 - 365 £ a day.
    Life Changing October 2011 - DF & £10000 saved - twins came - no plans
    2013 - twins now 14 mths old - lets get sorted!
  • chairman_miaow
    Options
    Me too . . . .started spendin and earning cashback within a week!:D

Same here...but (stupidly) didn't do it through Quidco....tsk...kicking myself about that !
  • Cooper11
    Options
    Just applied for my card plus the extra cashback from TopCashBack, I was planning on doing my christmas shopping on it ... but a bit disappointed that not all shops will take it now, i still want to shop around without being restricted to certain shops.

Is Egg really the next best cashback the other cards will do ? No wonder Amex isn't accepted everywhere, they must charge the shops a fortune if they can offer 5% cashback and the most a regular card offers is 1% !
  • Niemand
    Niemand Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    I believe Amex can charge merchants up to 4%.

I'm not impressed with American Express. Last week, over a three-day period, there were six fraudulent transactions on my wife's Amex card totalling over £3000 - four of them were on one day totalling over £1000! Why am I not impressed? All the transactions were done online with the same company, all were very large amounts, and all represented totally uncharacteristic usage of the card. I'm not impressed because I know other card providers monitor accounts for unusual activity and will block transactions if they think they're suspect.

My wife still has her card as well, it's not as if she'd lost it.

A few years ago, one card company phone me shortly after I'd done an online transaction to confirm it was me who had ordered the item.

So I find Amex's monitoring process less than ideal.
    Niemand
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport