Who Does/Does Not Accept Amex?

Options

Comments

• Morphosis
    Options
    has ASDA stopped taking american express?

i used it a few days ago ok

went into asda yesterday to get some medicine and it was refused several times in reader, gave them another CC and all ok

same happened at a different till so used another CC. card does look a tiny bit bent. staff didnt say they dont accept them no more

went to the petrol station down the road and it went straight through...

so is it ASDA?

Ive just come back from Asda and had trouble with my AE card, came up as NOT ACCEPTED but used it earlier that day, worked for petrol 5 minutes afterwards...something dodgy goign on with Asda...
  • mykw
    mykw Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    Morphosis wrote: »
    Ive just come back from Asda and had trouble with my AE card, came up as NOT ACCEPTED but used it earlier that day, worked for petrol 5 minutes afterwards...something dodgy goign on with Asda...

Tried to use mine at Asda Thornaby this lunchtime - tried twice both "NOT ACCEPTED" this is before even keying in a pin.

Have used same card at same store last week with no problems.
  • consumers_revenge
    Options
    looks like asda has stopped taking it then. Pity as thats the main source of my nectar points :mad:

dont think theyve told the staff yet though not to accept it as they let you try.
  • pegginout
    Options
    I have just had amex refused for norwich union home insurance, gutted coz i wwas going to get £70 cashback thru quidco too!
    :money: Martin Lewis Rocks!:money:
  • mykw
    mykw Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    mykw wrote: »
    Tried to use mine at Asda Thornaby this lunchtime - tried twice both "NOT ACCEPTED" this is before even keying in a pin.

Have used same card at same store last week with no problems.

A quick follow-up to my own post to say my card was accepted today at Asda Thornaby, so I guess it was a processing glitch for last week.
  • pegginout
    Options
    I have just phoned Amex...apparently Asda have have had new terminals nationwide and they are having trouble reading the chip.

Anyone having trouble should ask the sa to swipe card and then get you to sign....like we did in the old days before chip n pin.

So far I have used card 3 times......and had it declined every time.
    Asda, Norwich Union, and The Samaritans purse, who actually had the amex symbol on their website!

Im not happy with Amex, but am happy with my £45 cashback from wepromiseto!!
    :money: Martin Lewis Rocks!:money:
  • alexl
    alexl Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    can anyone tell me, does the Cashback AMEX Platinum charge highly for use abroad from the UK?
  • brightonman123
    Options
    was the amex logo on view, by the tills, or on window as you go in? (along with visa, mastercard etc)

if so, they are breaching merchant contract with Amex - contact your relevant amex office, who should follow up ith the store..

i think they called it 'supression' when i was there. they didnt like it when shops used their logos to draw customers in, then deny them service or get them to use anothr card..
    Long time away from MSE, been dealing real life stuff..
    Sometimes seen lurking on the compers forum :-)
  • ant9999
    Options
    on two occassions when ordering online, i've had to enter the four digit number on the front/top/right of the card as the security code instead of the usual last three digits of the number printed on the back. i've never successfully ordered using those numbers, always rejected.
  • 1jim
    1jim Posts: 2,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ant9999 wrote: »
    on two occassions when ordering online, i've had to enter the four digit number on the front/top/right of the card as the security code instead of the usual last three digits of the number printed on the back. i've never successfully ordered using those numbers, always rejected.
    never had a problem with using the security number and buy a lot of things on line
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure