Are you happy on your own?

Options

Comments

• justme111
    justme111 Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Ps. When I am 80 I do not intend to be in a rocking chair , I want to play squash with fellow octagenarians :D
    The word "dilemma" comes from Greek where "di" means two and "lemma" means premise. Refers usually to difficult choice between two undesirable options.
    Often people seem to use this word mistakenly where "quandary" would fit better.
  • Orlando_Virgin
    Orlando_Virgin Posts: 482 Forumite
    Options
    Some of these posts are quality. Going to China and teaching English sounds like a dream you need to fulfil! And you're hardly thick as mince if you're passing those assignments, keep going!

My general outlook is to just be happy in my own life, enjoy what I have already rather than being unhappy about what I've lost/didn't work out.

I'm going out on a kind of "date" this weekend, she's 33 and I'm 29, it'll be the first ever date when I'm the younger of the two! Neither of us are looking for a relationship but it will be nice to share some company and have a laugh. Feel like I've made a good step even spending some time with another girl.

The only problem I feel about being on your own is being the target for nights out! Every time one of my mates "gets a pass" etc. I'm the first one they call, it's a good job I'm good with my money and have more aspirations than getting drunk!!
    It's always darkest before the dawn.

"You are sheep amongst wolves, be wise as serpents, yet innocent as doves."
  • SandC
    SandC Posts: 3,929 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Someone on the last page mentioned it being selfish, or conceived as such.

Well, it is no such thing. Selfishness is about doing things for yourself to the detriment of others. If you are alone and happy it's not only not being detrimental to others (after all, they are not affected by you playing the same song over and over and over again or watching Homes Under the Hammer all weekend) but very often the complete opposite.

Aren't us happy and content people the ones who try to spread the positivity amongst others when they are not feeing so good about life? Of course we are!

That, of course, goes for whatever personal situation we are in. Those who know us best can tell if we are genuinely happy or not, just as we can often read through the lines with them in their particular circumstances.
  • Mr_Toad
    Mr_Toad Posts: 2,462 Forumite
    Options
    ceebeeby wrote: »
    I live a single persons existence within the confines of a marriage. The worst of both worlds as no freedom to enjoy any form of lunch!

That was my situation. You have all the disadvantages of being married but none of the advantages.

In my case we rubbed along quite nicely, we didn't argue we simply lived together. I thought I was quite happy, we had loads of disposable income and both the children had gone to Uni and on to their own lives.

To this day I'm not sure what happened but I had some sort of epiphany and decided I wanted out. It was the right choice and I've never been happier.

I realise now that the state of inertia brought on by the fact that living together wasn't actually a living hell wasn't as good as I thought at the time.

I'm still great friends with my ex in fact I went out with a group of our mutual friends last night and she was there as was my current girlfriend. We chatted about our son's wedding this Saturday and I bought her meal.

I would seriously look at getting out like I did, it's a revelation and I don't regret it at all.
    One by one the penguins are slowly stealing my sanity.
  • tinkerbell73
    tinkerbell73 Posts: 101 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I was with my ex husband from when i was 20 to 36 - the marriage was awful but i stayed because we had kids when we split i was so relieved the life i had on my own was a million times better than my married one. After 2 years on my own I met my last boyfriend wasn't looking but he appeared and we had a ball - life was how i had always imagined it could be but he had issues to sort and we split last September so I am on my own with the kids again. But i am not unhappy at all - its hard work with the kids but love that i can do what i want when i want.

Next week i am doing the moonwalk marathon in London and in June its my big birthday and have a week of celebrations planned with different people (last year was a bit of a damp squib with the ex ) I have joined a local meetup group and go out for all sorts of nights with different people and my social circle has widened, and i am taking the kids camping to west france later in the year and as they get older my plan is to downsize and start seeing the world a bit. If i meet some one again it will have to be special as I will not be prepared to jump in as I don't need anyone but sometimes a cuddle would be nice :-)
    Been stupid but have no regrets starting to slowly sort my finances now the kids are growing
  • 166million
    166million Posts: 1,233 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I'm a bit pathetic, can't stand being on my own. Lived on my own for 6 months and it was horrible.
    **Debt Free as of 15:55 on Friday 23rd March 2012**And I am staying that way
    377 166million Sealed Pot Challenge 2018 :staradmin No. 90: Emergency fund £637
    My debt free diary http://http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3630099
  • sweaty_betty
    sweaty_betty Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    166million wrote: »
    I'm a bit pathetic, can't stand being on my own. Lived on my own for 6 months and it was horrible.

That's not pathetic, different people like different things. I was single and lived alone for 5 years when I split up with my ex. It was a shock at first, but I soon learned to love the peace, having my own space, being able to do exactly what I wanted, when I wanted and not having to consider others in how I spent my time or money. The only thing I missed was having to make an effort when I wanted company - but that's done me good to be honest!

When I met my OH it took a bit of doing to get used to sharing my space and time again, but we're happy and rub along quite nicely :). However if the worst happened and I was on my own again I know I could manage, or even enjoy it.
  • SandC
    SandC Posts: 3,929 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    166million wrote: »

It's not pathetic, we are all different and there's no one set way of living your life that suits all.

And I'm very glad about that too!
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Steve059 wrote: »
    Yes, I like being on my own.

Marlene Dietrich didn't say, "I want to be alone." She said, "I want to be on my own".

Sorry to contradict, but it was Garbo and she said "I want to be let alone".

I am happily married. I love to be with my OH and my kids. I also love to be on my own sometimes. I could live alone, holiday alone etc, but i choose to be with him. The compromises aren't that I have to do what he wants or vice versa but that we can enjoy our individual interests and then come together to talk later.

For example on a trip to Paris after a shared breakfast, he would do the organ recitals he loves and I can't stand, I go to the art galleries that bore him rigid. We would meet in the evening for dinner. Some things might be shared - a trip on the river, a walk in the park - but we aren't joined at the hip.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • 166million
    166million Posts: 1,233 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    That's not pathetic, different people like different things. I was single and lived alone for 5 years when I split up with my ex. It was a shock at first, but I soon learned to love the peace, having my own space, being able to do exactly what I wanted, when I wanted and not having to consider others in how I spent my time or money. The only thing I missed was having to make an effort when I wanted company - but that's done me good to be honest!

When I met my OH it took a bit of doing to get used to sharing my space and time again, but we're happy and rub along quite nicely :). However if the worst happened and I was on my own again I know I could manage, or even enjoy it.

I think its preferable to know you could manage happily on your own as you can never rely on always having someone.
    **Debt Free as of 15:55 on Friday 23rd March 2012**And I am staying that way
    377 166million Sealed Pot Challenge 2018 :staradmin No. 90: Emergency fund £637
    My debt free diary http://http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3630099
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure